• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That Boxing Day Test in hindsight turned out to be hugely destructive. Firstly by convincing them to take Warner and the injuries to Green and Starc
We all knew that at the time & therein lies the problem

Anyone who knows anything about cricket & has a Foxtel subscription knew that Kuhnemann was a better option than Agar in India

We watched Renshaw fail to improve and knew that he was a walking wicket at test level

We watched Spenser Johnson bowl an over in the BBL and knew that he was the best non test bowler in the country by a fkn mile

I could go on

India is hard enough to beat without handicapping ourselves

anil1405

International Captain
Before the series was named Border-Gavaskar Trophy (1947-1992)

Tests Played - 50
Australia Won - 24
India Won - 8
Draw - 17
Tied - 1

After series was renamed Border-Gavaskar Trophy (1996-present)

Tests Played - 56
Australia Won - 20
India Won - 24
Draw - 12

All hail the great Allan Border.

Spark

Global Moderator
In retrospect though, if Starc isn't injured we probably go in with only two spinners through the series, which means we might well have done worse on the bowling front than we did. Kuhnemann's relative lack of control certainly hurt our chance here but we don't win at Indore without him.
Yeah that's a fair point. The Green injury really messed with the balance of the team though.

Starfighter

Yeah that's a fair point. The Green injury really messed with the balance of the team though.
Certainly. But that's one of those things that happens. Nortje bowled tremendously fast in that match. His quickest spell might have been the fastest I've seen in my twelve years watching the game - he was a bit quicker than Archer at Lords, but not sure about Starc at Perth in 2015.

The real question is why no one is making and marketing better batting gloves. I saw the question broached by some sports scientist with a lot of cricket experience (don't remember who though), to the effect that better designs are possible and even extant but there simply doesn't seem to be the demand.

The real disaster in that match was of course Warner's innings as it guaranteed selection in conditions where he's never been good and unlike Khawaja there was no evidence whatsoever of improvement (the opposite in fact).

The whole series was certainly a missed opportunity. While I agree with the logic over the tour matches and pitches simply any long-form cricket would have been better than coming straight from the BBL.

social

I mean Axar’s batting was the difference between the two sides, but you could see the case for Ashwin who was best bowler in the series plus some handy contributions with the bat(like Delhi).
Not even close

Guy averaged 80 with the bat and came in under pressure every time

srbhkshk

International Captain
End of the day I suppose the story of the previous 4 series have been Australia failing to put the boot down when ahead while India have generally ran away with their moments, the results of at least 3 of these series could have easily been the reverse of what they eventually were.

Edit - Bring on the WTC.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite a few positives to take from this series.

Green's batting looks good as ever, hope that 100 opens the floodgates like it did with watson, marnus once again having a good series away from home, head looking like he's figured out how to make runs in asia, murphy looks the goods. Smith, Lyon, Uzzie and Warner will all be on the way out in the next 5 years but I think we have enough there to keep us competitive during the transition, which I wasn't as confident on heading into this series.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, can I just say that rohit is really hard done by to only be 5th on that runs for the series list. I reckon his batting contributed more to the series result than kohli's did.

social

Tbf to Ashwin/Jadeja, you guys do realise taking wickets is important also? Inarguably more so? They still outbowled their competition and made runs, even if it wasn't like Axar's run with the bat.
They bowled on seriously dodgy pitches

Axar rescued them with the bat every game

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
To think one crazy session was what decided the series. Can't help but think this was a wasted opportunity for Australia, as I'm not sure we played all that well but still got closer than most to winning in India.
If Australia had won in Dehi, the Indore Test would have been so clutch and would have panned out differently. And I think this series could have ended 2-2.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite a few positives to take from this series.

Green's batting looks good as ever, hope that 100 opens the floodgates like it did with watson, marnus once again having a good series away from home, head looking like he's figured out how to make runs in asia, murphy looks the goods. Smith, Lyon, Uzzie and Warner will all be on the way out in the next 5 years but I think we have enough there to keep us competitive during the transition, which I wasn't as confident on heading into this series.
Head making some runs away from home a bit of a monkey off the back for him too.

Xix2565

International Regular
They bowled on seriously dodgy pitches

Axar rescued them with the bat every game
Still took 20 wickets to win though, and it wasn't like Axar wasn't aided by circumstances either as a competent batter vs tired bowlers with the old ball.