• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
While averaging 60 at home
Zak Crawley averaged 50+ in Pak series which has decks as flat as standard Aus mcg highway.....look at 2021 ash in AUS....... Mighty smith average less than Zak Crawley...smith would average 10 in 2019 ashes if Anderson not injury.

Spark

Global Moderator
Zak Crawley averaged 50+ in Pak series which has decks as flat as standard Aus mcg highway.....look at 2021 ash in AUS....... Mighty smith average less than Zak Crawley...smith would average 10 in 2019 ashes if Anderson not injury.
pls stop

Spark

Global Moderator
Thanks for the responses guys, you all make excellent points.
Guess I'm still living in the thoughts of that English tour a couple years ago, where each test lasted about 2 days.

Edit: @Spark @Shady Slim @Nintendo
That pink ball Test aside that was mostly down to the English batting lineup being godawful on turners with the exception of Root tbh. This series has solidified my view that even on square turners, Axar Patel has no business averaging below 20 in Tests.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
That pink ball Test aside that was mostly down to the English batting lineup being godawful on turners with the exception of Root tbh. This series has solidified my view that even on square turners, Axar Patel has no business averaging below 20 in Tests.
That may be so, but I'm standing firm that those were some of the worst decks I've seen, certainly in my time.
If you can give some evidence of worse than that, I'm all ears.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is this you submitting your exam to try prove you're an utter moron? Well you've passed with a high distinction.

Starfighter

He's impersonating a certain brand of poster when it comes to Smith.
I see. I'm not in a mood for satire.

I must say I did think that Smith wouldn't have a good series after he scored all those BBL runs. My joke about run stockpiling comes from an old Page 2 article (I really miss that Cricinfo) but boom-and-bust cycles are par for the course, and he does seem to mentally 'use himself up' at points. Though outside of the 2019 Ashes he's never recaptured his pre-ban self anyway.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neither of those pitches were 150 first innings pitches though. Australia made 260 on Day 1 at Delhi and the consensus here was that it was slightly below par (though plenty competitive), and it's pretty obvious that they really **** the bed at Nagpur - India did make 400 after all.

Had Australia batted well on those pitches with their first choice lineup, 300+ in the first innings should have been possible in both Tests. You can't call it a bad pitch when the visiting lineup can claim that. That they didn't reach that speaks both to how good Ashwin and Jadeja are and how much the Australian batting missed the mark in the first half of the series.
Maybe they should have gone over a bit earlier and got used to conditions instead of playing in the BBL. I think they'll look back on this series as more of a missed opportunity than the last tour over there.

Spark

Global Moderator
Maybe they should have gone over a bit earlier and got used to conditions instead of playing in the BBL. I think they'll look back on this series as more of a missed opportunity than the last tour over there.
Yep it's pretty clear the lack of preparation has cooked them here. Once they got into the series the teams looked closely matched but by then it was too late.

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Yep it's pretty clear the lack of preparation has cooked them here. Once they got into the series the teams looked closely matched but by then it was too late.
tbh it has looked that way for all of the past 4 series (2018 maybe not so much in MCG, SCG). Ind just pull through.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbf no amount of prep was gonna win us the first test and the sweepathon that lost us the second test wasn't a lack of prep thing, seemed like a genuine team initiative.

Would have been nice to get some game time either way, even a pre series A-team tour would've been better than what we got.

Molehill

International Captain
I think you can add in the Covid protocols too. England had already toured Sri Lanka and then went straight on to India. Having won the First Test their performances just dropped right off the scale. I think they'd just about had enough and wanted to go home.

But that's still no excuse for Axar and the pink ball!!

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Agree totally with that.

As so often nowadays, the touring team were under prepared for the series and by the time they found their feet, the series was done.

The Indians have been very canny with the pitches they've prepared. The first 2 tests, with the Aussies under prepared, did enough to exploit that. This pitch is so flat you could play for another 5 days and it would still be a draw.

I think a better prepared Aussie team, would have at least drawn this series and could have won it.

social

All about selections

Everyone in world cricket knows that Warner is done and they picked him anyway

They took many players who were never going to be fit for meaningful games

Agar & Morris were completely pointless selections

India is way too good without handicapping ourselves

Molehill

International Captain
The moment when a Captain starts bowling his batsmen should be the time when an umpire can say "right, **** this ****, let's shake hands".