• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This really has been a horrid series from smith hasn't it? He's had multiple drop catches/no ball dismissals across the series and is still averaging sub 30 without a 50 all series. Expected alot more given the form he was in coming into it.
He's due a series where he doesn't get luck going his way early on, all players have them.

IcarianStyles

Cricket Spectator
This really has been a horrid series from smith hasn't it? He's had multiple drop catches/no ball dismissals across the series and is still averaging sub 30 without a 50 all series. Expected alot more given the form he was in coming into it.
It's pretty evident Steve Smith's prime has been long gone since 2019 Ashes. No longer scoring 1000 runs+ with a 70+ average in a calendar year like in 2014-2017.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Honest question, what was wrong with the pitches in the first two games? They looked like challenging but entirely fair Test pitches to me.
I like watching cricket, 2-3 days per test is seriously getting ripped off.
Seriously though, yes they were challenging and true that was the interesting factor, but any match that is overwhelmingly dominant for either the
batsman or bowlers is not my idea of a great test. We've gone from average first innings scores of 150 to 550.
Somewhere in the middle of that, where there's something for the bowlers to work with make for better test matches.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Seriously though, yes they were challenging and true that was the interesting factor, but any match that is overwhelmingly dominant for either the
batsman or bowlers is not my idea of a great test. We've gone from average first innings scores of 150 to 550.
Somewhere in the middle of that, where there's something for the bowlers to work with make for better test matches.
The New Zealand vs Sri Lanka test match that concluded today in terms of balance between bat and ball , I don't think you can get much better

Shady Slim

International Coach

tbf aside from the mickey mouse pitch from the last test most low scores in india from touring sides are not explicable by india doing bad pitches, rather just because their bowlers are so damn good and overseas touring teams from WANGS countries are, well, not...

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The first two tests weren't overly dominating for the bowlers though. AUS made 270 in the first dig in the second test and India made the same, and AUS where 70/1 or whatever at the end of day 2, they just **** the bed.

First test was fine aswell, it was just hard to bat on on day 1, that had been the trend from the FC cricket played earlier in the Indian season there aswell. India made 400 then AUS collapsed in the 3rd dig, deck was still fine for batting. FFS shami nearly made a 50 just before Aus got rolled in the 1st test.

Pitch evaluation shouldn't come down to this kind of thing anyway. We have Hawkeye data that tells us how much each ball is misbehaving, the ICC really should use that.

Spark

Global Moderator
Neither of those pitches were 150 first innings pitches though. Australia made 260 on Day 1 at Delhi and the consensus here was that it was slightly below par (though plenty competitive), and it's pretty obvious that they really **** the bed at Nagpur - India did make 400 after all.

Had Australia batted well on those pitches with their first choice lineup, 300+ in the first innings should have been possible in both Tests. You can't call it a bad pitch when the visiting lineup can claim that. That they didn't reach that speaks both to how good Ashwin and Jadeja are and how much the Australian batting missed the mark in the first half of the series.

Molehill

International Captain
tbf aside from the mickey mouse pitch from the last test most low scores in india from touring sides are not explicable by india doing bad pitches, rather just because their bowlers are so damn good and overseas touring teams from WANGS countries are, well, not...
Well there was the pink ball, lights, Axar fiasco too.

Molehill

International Captain
Neither of those pitches were 150 first innings pitches though. Australia made 260 on Day 1 at Delhi and the consensus here was that it was slightly below par (though plenty competitive), and it's pretty obvious that they really **** the bed at Nagpur - India did make 400 after all.

Had Australia batted well on those pitches with their first choice lineup, 300+ in the first innings should have been possible in both Tests. You can't call it a bad pitch when the visiting lineup can claim that. That they didn't reach that speaks both to how good Ashwin and Jadeja are and how much the Australian batting missed the mark in the first half of the series.
Agreed, nothing wrong with first 2 pitches at all. Just outlined that India have the superior skills on these types of pitches, but it wasn't impossible. The 3rd Test was a pitch I'm sure the Indians didn't want.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Agreed, nothing wrong with first 2 pitches at all. Just outlined that India have the superior skills on these types of pitches, but it wasn't impossible. The 3rd Test was a pitch I'm sure the Indians didn't want.
They got overconfident a bit . They hoped that Australia won’t put up fight after defeat in 1st 2 Tests .