• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Usman Khawaja

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Where do you guys think Usman sits in the pantheon of Australian openers atm? With an england tour coming up what results would he need to boost himself up further? England seems like the final frontier for him, he's shown that he can make runs in the subcontinent and in Australia, maybe a good series in SA or NZ wouldn't hurt but I doubt hey'll play long enough to get that.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Where do you guys think Usman sits in the pantheon of Australian openers atm? With an england tour coming up what results would he need to boost himself up further? England seems like the final frontier for him, he's shown that he can make runs in the subcontinent and in Australia, maybe a good series in SA or NZ wouldn't hurt but I doubt hey'll play long enough to get that.
Oz has a 2 test series in NZ next summer. Although, unless Jamieson comes back near his best our bowlers may not be much challenge.

Socerer 01

International Captain
a good Ashes tour would heavily boost his stocks, a good series in pace dominant away country is the only thing his resume lacks. with how poor most openers of this era have been he will be viewed very favourably regardless but correcting that one thing and scoring a big hundred would cement a great status

Ali TT

International Regular
He's only opened in Australia and Asia, and for a total of 33 innings, most of his earlier career was at 3 or lower. So I don't think he can really be classed as a top level opener without a much more diverse career across different conditions. This might be a bit hard given his age.

He's clearly ace in Asia, though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Good player. Didn't realise how good his record is until the current series. Why wasn't he a regular to partner with Warner over the last decade? Late bloomer?

Coronis

International Coach
He’s the modern Bob Simpson. I’d like to see a ton or two against England this winter and I’ll be happy to consider him for an opening spot in the Aussie ATG XI.

Ali TT

International Regular
Good player. Didn't realise how good his record is until the current series. Why wasn't he a regular to partner with Warner over the last decade? Late bloomer?
He was pretty crap for the middle part of his career

Archer6K

U19 12th Man
Probably top five

Chrish

International Debutant
Good on him for coming back with a bang.. Must have been psychologically terrible when your own coach doesn’t like you. I am happy for him and team is lot better with him.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Not just a late bloomer. When Langer was coach he regarded Usman as being too laid-back and lackadaisical. This obvious personality clash meant he was overlooked for others.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well he was regularly playing, but often as a #3. The fact that he wasn't regularly opening in Shield cricket probably meant he got ignored as an opener even though that was arguably his best position.

TBF though his record before being moved up to open was pretty hit and miss, he had a lot of stinker series when Australia really needed him to do well, and his Shield record for ages was very up and down. Add that he had a reputation of being a lazy cricketer and it's easy to see why he never really made himself undroppable.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ok I'm happy to sink the boat into Langer whenever possible but the Usman thing needs to be slightly clarified. Usman was dropped for the fourth test of the 2019 Ashes because Australia created an artificial batting selection logjam due to injury and poorly thought out selection. Usman got the boot because he had the least compelling narrative to keep him in the team. here's what happened:

- between Sandpaper gate in 2018 and the start of the 2019 Ashes, Australia failed to unearth a successful replacement opener despite the two opening spots becoming available.
- of the 6 batters who had a shot opening, only Usman and Joe Burns scored a ton. Usman did in the UAE when he was moved to opening for the tour and Joe Burns did it in Canberra against SL, an innings that was essentially disregarded and Burns was removed from consideration for the Ashes, replaced with Warner
- the other incumbent opener, Marcus Harris, was fighting with Bancroft, the pseudo incumbent opener, for the other spot.
- As I recall, neither Burns or Bancroft did anything in the lead-up to the 1st test to make them the preferred candidate.
- Bancroft was selected, presumably because it was decided he was the better batter
- After the 2nd test, Steve Smith was ruled out for the 3rd test with concussion, meaning Marnus, who had impressed massively as a replacement in the last innings of the 4th test was staying in the team
- After the 2nd test, Bancroft was dropped for Harris. This was applauded loudly by many but not by me who said "dropping Bancroft is stupid"
- My reasons for this were: 1) How could Harris suddenly be better than Bancroft when he wasn't two tests ago? 2) What happens for the fourth test when Smith returns? If you kept Bancroft in the team for the 3rd test, you could either drop him for that test and move Usman to opening or if Bancroft scores runs, great! Again how could Harris had become better than Bancroft in the space of 2 games sitting on the bench?
- So of course Smith comes back for the fourth test and someone has to go. It's often said Usman's form was not acceptable but his form was no worse than some of the others. over the previous 10 months + 11 tests Usman's performances were perfectly average. Restricting it to just the three tests that had happened in the 2019 Ashes, Usman had a subpar average of 20 in 3 tests...which was still better than the openers and within touching distance of Wade (who scored under 10 in 5 innings and one 100 lmao).
- This is where Usman being dropped for having the least compelling narrative comes into play. Consider the other people: Warner (legend of the team), Harris ("you can't drop someone after one test" is a beloved rule of Australian cricket. Unless you're Callum Ferguson.), Marnus (he was a made man after the 2nd and 3rd tests), Travis Head (probably the other option to drop but I don't think Usman moving to 5 was considered and Head had an important knock on the last day on the 2nd test with Marnus), Wade (he had the only ton by a non Steve Smith player).
- Following the Ashes, the opening roundabout continued, with Burns, Wade, Pucovski, Harris all getting games. Usman's shield form was horrible and so was not considered, despite of course being better than all those guys except maybe Pucovski
- His shield form improved to the point of being on-call, and of course getting the call-up when Head got covid in the 2021-22 Ashes

(I droned on about this about the time and obviously it's the most correct I've ever been about anything, so)