• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Excellent bowling by Rajitha <-------- words I didn't think I'd be saying today.

So that sinking feeling is starting to set in now, like it did in that Bangladesh loss (in the second innings). Are we actually going to lose here? We are going to face a first innings deficit anyway, and it could easily be 100+.

Flametree

International 12th Man
The cricbuzz descriptions seem to suggest Rajitha has turned into Mohammad Abbas (the good version)...

I seem to recall Sri Lanka stuffing us at home in the mid-late 90's. They've won since then haven't they, tests not series? Was it Murali or Malinga, or both?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The cricbuzz descriptions seem to suggest Rajitha has turned into Mohammad Abbas (the good version)...

I seem to recall Sri Lanka stuffing us at home in the mid-late 90's. They've won since then haven't they, tests not series? Was it Murali or Malinga, or both?
Both, Malinga went full Shoiab and cleaned us up for a 100 in the first dig, before he and Murali combined to grind us down in the second.

Thereone series win here was 94 when a young Vaas carved through us and picked up 10 wickets before rain washed out the second test (with SL well ahead).

Moss

International Captain

Yeah once in 2006 (was a 1-1 drawn series). Murali and Malinga were both among the wickets then i think. Can remember McCullum running out Murali while he wandered off to congratulate Sanga for getting a ton in the first test.

Must say SL look up for this, they didn’t disgrace themselves either in 2018.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was his first trip here in 2005 if memory serves. The umpires did take off their red ties for that series.
Ah, yep. And I remember them holding white jumpers in front of their pants.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Played SL, never a better chance of a 2-0 scoreline away in NZ & a sniff at the WTC final.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It was bad luck for them that they didn’t have a tour scheduled between 08 and 11. They would’ve mulched us in that period.
They were too busy playing India over and over again iirc. Those were the matches where Samaraweera became a legend and everyone in India averaged like 70

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka seem to be becoming the reverse of the W Indies - everyone else struggles to beat them except England who do it without any issue at all.

Migara

International Coach
Any one noticed that SL fast bowlers are appreciably pacier than their NZ counter parts? Rajitha hits upper 130s, Fernando hits early 140 and Kumara can hit late 140s. That may be the reason we are getting more help off the deck, despite it becoming batting friendly.

Boult and Jamison would have been completely different animals to Wagner, Henry or Tinker bell given their pace and height.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Any one noticed that SL fast bowlers are appreciably pacier than their NZ counter parts? Rajitha hits upper 130s, Fernando hits early 140 and Kumara can hit late 140s. That may be the reason we are getting more help off the deck, despite it becoming batting friendly.

Boult and Jamison would have been completely different animals to Wagner, Henry or Tinker bell given their pace and height.
nz test attacks have never been pacy

we are usually always one of the slowest

Migara

International Coach
nz test attacks have never been pacy

we are usually always one of the slowest
I thought that was the usual till Bond appeared. After that there was at least one out and out fast bowler was there, IIRC.

To be fare to us, we had Dilhara, Malinga, Chameera and Kumara all able to hit 90 mark during the same time. So were probably not the slowest.