• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

Flem274*

123/5
When Tickner bowls normally he seems to get smashed but then if you annoy him and start trying to smash him he responds with balls like that.

Blain

U19 Captain
Tickner bowls like an erratic 1990's fast bowler who gets picked only for pace, but he doesn't have the pace.

Look for him to take 3-90 off 14..

Howsie

International Captain
Tickner bowls like an erratic 1990's fast bowler who gets picked only for pace, but he doesn't have the pace.

Look for him to take 3-90 off 14..
Is there a single member on CW that rates him? I haven’t come across it yet. We all knew he was rubbish, he’s proven that how many times. And yet here he is playing test cricket with a first class bowling average of 35 ?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't mind him as distant squad injury cover but yeah I'd probably need Southee and Henry out too

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Who else? I'm definitely not convinced by Duffy, and I doubt the selectors would bring in Lockie (despite similar bowlers like Wood and Nortje having test success).

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Probably injury dependent I'd go:
Sears -> N Smith -> Shipley -> Duffy
... right now. And with Sears and Smith injured, that means Shipley.

I'd also consider Shipley > Smith depending on the role. Smith probably wants/needs the new ball more and he's not getting it unless one of Southee or Henry is out.

Flem274*

123/5
If I had to rank available quicks right now I'd go something like

Southee
KJ
Henry
Ferguson
Smith

as guys I think could immediately enter and be successful, then

Sears
Duffy

as could go either way

Wagner, Dacewell, Shipley and ofc Tickner and Kuggs are in the "have good spells in them but overall no/not yet" category for me. I think most FC stalwarts like the Cantabrian medium fast battery, Brett Randell, Ben Lister etc could bowl some excellent spells (Tickner and Wags in the England series for example) but overall need further work against the best batting line ups.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If they really want to back Tickner as a project player and they think they're going to magically find a way to get him to bowl fast and accurately, then the other problem is having him in an attack containing Macewell and modern Wagner, as all three bleed runs and offer zero control.

Which I guess is why Mitchell's bowled a lot of overs here. Unlucky not to have a wicket tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
I like Tickner but he's probably the 4th most successful quick for his province currently available (Doug Bracewell obv and both Randell and Toole have been quite successful though I have seen a lot less of them - Randell gets some nice movement). It's great to see he's got the talent to have some good spells at test level but throwing him into the fire against Joe Root on a motorway was totally unfair.