• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really hope Sri Lanka thump us.
It actually really pisses me off we won that England test
I don't usually go in for 'I hope we lose because we need to learn a lesson' but that Basin test was a great example of why sometimes people wish it. Stead of course used the win as total vindication of his ultra-cautious approach, that he was right, that the team is on the right track and so nothing would change.

The only mitigating factor, if you could call it that, is that if we'd lost the Basin test Stead would have still found a way to justify doing literally nothing different and not learning anything anyway.

So I guess we might as well take the Basin win and pray to all our deities that Stead's contract isn't renewed.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Stead isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Settle in for a few more years of this period of decline. Hopefully Wagner chooses to bow out after this series though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't usually go in for 'I hope we lose because we need to learn a lesson' but that Basin test was a great example of why sometimes people wish it. Stead of course used the win as total vindication of his ultra-cautious approach, that he was right, the team is on the right track and so nothing would change.

The only mitigating factor, if you could call it that, is that if we'd lost the Basin test Stead would have still found a way to justify doing literally nothing different and not learning anything anyway.

So I guess we might as well take the Basin win and pray to all our deities that Stead's contract isn't renewed.
I’m genuinely worried that it will be if NZ makes the WC semis. That’s why I’m genuinely leaning towards the pov that another home loss this summer might not be the worst thing in terms of ensuring that the NZC can’t just pretend that the current strategy for the test side is defensible.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I don't usually go in for 'I hope we lose because we need to learn a lesson' but that Basin test was a great example of why sometimes people wish it. Stead of course used the win as total vindication of his ultra-cautious approach, that he was right, that the team is on the right track and so nothing would change.

I used to feel the same way about not wanting my team to lose, but I support the Newcastle Knights and the last 20 years have shown me sometimes we have to take this stance to force some change (not that it’s worked for the Knights ?)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ohhhh I get what you think is happening now. Mate I'm not laughing at Pakistan losing, I'm laughing at the terrible awful misery that you see on Pakpassion when it occurs. Sky;liner's roam free there. I like the Pakistani cricket team, they've been NZ's best rival for a good 15 years now and we usually have very competitive series. I particularly rate Rizwan/Babar as one of the ATG opening partnerships and I find it absolutely hilarious how often the meta on Pakpassion is to blame THEM for any failure. The contradiction of Pakpassion is that before any series or competition there tends to be a very arrogant expectation that they'll dominate and when that doesn't occur the bitterness is palpable.

It's a funny forum culture that no doubt comes from it being a fansite for one team.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I’m genuinely worried that it will be if NZ makes the WC semis. That’s why I’m genuinely leaning towards the pov that another home loss this summer might not be the worst thing in terms of ensuring that the NZC can’t just pretend that the current strategy for the test side is defensible.
We could even win the WC. Our ageing team that loves batting against spin and ODI spin h4x attack gives us a far better chance than we deserve.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The WC is the key thing, absolutely. NZC care a hell of a lot more about that than tests, even if we did something that made the viewing public take notice like lose this series to Sri Lanka.

I used to feel the same way about not wanting my team to lose, but I support the Newcastle Knights and the last 20 years have shown me sometimes we have to take this stance to force some change (not that it’s worked for the Knights ?)
Yeah that's the thing, if they're determined to not do anything they'll find a way to justify it. Stead's response to a loss is that we're just little ol New Zealand and we can't really expect to win anyway, so what can you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ohhhh I get what you think is happening now. Mate I'm not laughing at Pakistan losing, I'm laughing at the terrible awful misery that you see on Pakpassion when it occurs. Sky;liner's roam free there. I like the Pakistani cricket team, they've been NZ's best rival for a good 15 years now and we usually have very competitive series. I particularly rate Rizwan/Babar as one of the ATG opening partnerships and I find it absolutely hilarious how often the meta on Pakpassion is to blame THEM for any failure. The contradiction of Pakpassion is that before any series or competition there tends to be a very arrogant expectation that they'll dominate and when that doesn't occur the bitterness is palpable.

It's a funny forum culture that no doubt comes from it being a fansite for one team.
Well that's fair. But imo there's definitely an undercurrent of "let's go point and laugh at those losers" whenever that happens which is just cruel. It's a forum wide menace. People enjoy and encourage the Skyliners of other nations whilst jeering their own.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Yeah that's the thing, if they're determined to not do anything they'll find a way to justify it. Stead's response to a loss is that we're just little ol New Zealand and we can't really expect to win anyway, so what can you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean of course I’d prefer Nicholls to average 60 for the rest of his career, Wagner to return to his best and play till he’s 45, Bracewell to turn into Daniel Vettori, but it’s not going to happen.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
While I can understand general disenchantment towards the Black Caps, I can’t comprehend ‘hard to get excited about playing Sri Lanka’ snobbery….our ****ness makes a series like this eminently competitive
It's not "hard to get excited about playing Sri Lanka" but more "hard to get excited about another poor NZ team selection for a series with relatively low build up with little at stake for the home side"

FTR I really want Sri Lanka to do well and get into the WTC final. We could be playing literally any other side right now and my enthusiasm would be low.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well that's fair. But imo there's definitely an undercurrent of "let's go point and laugh at those losers" whenever that happens which is just cruel. It's a forum wide menace. People enjoy and encourage the Skyliners of other nations whilst jeering their own.
pics

FBU

International Debutant
Ten an over is expensive even for T20. I suppose Blundell and Phillips say don't worry.