• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate he bowled us to a series win in Pak and a draw in SL when we've historically been terrible in SL and we've dominated at home under him.
True but Marcus Harris could captain and dominate at home. That series win in Pakistan and draw in SL are no big deal tbh.
Nothing against Paddy but just reckon Smith the better man for the job.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We got whitewashed in 2017 last time we toured?
Yeah but I think he might mean overall we haven’t stunk it up there over the years/ decades.

Which you’d hope would be the case because they’ve mostly been pretty ordinary over the years/ decades

Spark

Global Moderator
This looks like a really good test wicket, shame they can't produce something like this.
Looking at the scoreboard it mostly looks like a horrible road tbh. 400dec plays 400dec with multiple retired outs.

I'm with Burgey re: the wickets - I thought the first two wickets were both excellent, if on the bowler-friendly side of the ledger, Test wickets and that they should have gone well into Day 4 with more competent batting. This one is the first one where I've gone "yeah okay this is a bit much" but honestly even then I still thought we got differentiation between skilful bowling vs average bowling and skilful batting vs average batting.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
True but Marcus Harris could captain and dominate at home. That series win in Pakistan and draw in SL are no big deal tbh.
Nothing against Paddy but just reckon Smith the better man for the job.
If Smith were ever to return full time to the captaincy I think it could only ever be on the condition he stopped playing every other format, because last time he was playing all three and his brain basically short circuited by the end of his tenure.

Series wins or draws anywhere in the SC are a bit of a big deal for Aus at any time. We hadn’t toured Pakistan for decades and like Nintendo said, we got dicked in SL in 2017.

Captaincy long term is just hard work at most levels, but exponentially so at the top as you start touring in different conditions. Those wins last year were an important part of the body of work this team is trying to put together. If they jagged 2-2 here it would be another level again.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Every Australia or England series in India has such a pitch where India goes overboard with the spin to win strategy and loses control.
I definitely agree, but at the same time I do think this narrative risks being a little unfair to Australia. They genuinely played some excellent cricket over the last three days in some seriously challenging conditions. Had they displayed that standard consistently from the beginning, Australia would likely be looking at a series win here.

Spark

Global Moderator
If Smith were ever to return full time to the captaincy I think it could only ever be on the condition he stopped playing every other format, because last time he was playing all three and his brain basically short circuited by the end of his tenure
Unfortunately, or fortunately from another standpoint, his transformation into a six hitting machine in the BBL has kind of made that moot.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
If Smith were ever to return full time to the captaincy I think it could only ever be on the condition he stopped playing every other format, because last time he was playing all three and his brain basically short circuited by the end of his tenure
Or he just captains in tests. Think he still has plenty to offer in both white ball formats, particularly when you take note of his recent big bash form.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The inconsistency was definitely not "only low", we had balls hitting Head on the shoulder this morning and Pujara yesterday evening. He even said as much, he was always aware that at some point one ball would spit at him and take the glove, and there would be nothing he could do
That was one ball and he was lunging when it hit him, Ash actually asked if he can chk for LBW. Whatever I saw today, I dont think it was that inconsistent. But I did not see yesterday, so happy to take your word for it. Once again though, it was not physically dangerous which is usually the biggest issue when someone says "inconsistent" bounce.

When a dry pitch is substandard from ball 1, it never improves

I am happy that Australia won but that pitch was a disgrace and my opinion wouldn’t change irrespective of the result

2.5 day tests which unduly favour bowlers don’t help the game at all
I never said this was a good pitch. I just dont think it was a pitch where any side would be bowled out for 109 on day 1.

Still not reasonable to play on. Come on.
Nah, if it is not physically dangerous, I think any pitch should be ok to play on.

That was quick
Its Chris Broad. He is known to jump the gun against SC nations pretty much always. Fully expect this to be overturned like they did Pindi, esp. coz they have the fact that they were asked host at the last minute.

Anyways, I really dont think my own rating of this pitch would be that far away from poor. My point is just that even given the pitch, our batting and bowling on the first day was pretty horrendous.

Spark

Global Moderator
That was one ball and he was lunging when it hit him, Ash actually asked if he can chk for LBW. Whatever I saw today, I dont think it was that inconsistent. But I did not see yesterday, so happy to take your word for it. Once again though, it was not physically dangerous which is usually the biggest issue when someone says "inconsistent" bounce.
It's the biggest issue, but far from the only one. Even if it's not dangerous it's very close to unplayable if you get it going up and down in such exaggerated fashions, you're basically just skating on luck the whole time. Obviously there was still skill differentiation in this game but it did feel like there were times where luck was the main factor in whether batsmen made a decent score or not.

I never said this was a good pitch. I just dont think it was a pitch where any side would be bowled out for 109 on day 1.
I do agree with this though. India batted really quite badly to be seven down by lunch; I think Australia's innings was a much fairer reflection of the pitch. I think I commented at one point that it wasn't the unplayable balls getting wickets, it was filthy half trackers that they somehow contrived to get out to.

Shri

Mr. Glass
the trick was to survive the first 20 odd overs and then try to score when the ball got softer and wasn't as vicious as the new ball. there were ways to score but you wouldn't find those ways in these idiots in our top order