• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I liked how Green was batting last night. Not sure if that will translate into runs but it looked positive.

Need someone to stick around with Handscomb as we really do need a 150 run lead

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, best I've seen him look at the start of an innings. Worked it around and looked for runs instead of blocking or bashing.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Dude, what? If Australia's form is any indication the last six wickets could easily go down for stuff all and a high chance India bat better the second dig. India are definitely still in this game.
australia already has what is a good lead in these conditions and as for a high chance of india batting better in the 3rd innings, good one is all i can say...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So putting past the Gambhiring on both sides, you'd have to say Australia ahead by a good though not a completely comfortable margin. If they can get to a lead of 100, that will really put all the pressure back on India, while a lead of 150 will require both an excellent Indian batting performance as well as an Australian collapse in the second innings (either batting or bowling) to overcome. It is possible but definitely you'd have to say Australia about 60/40 here. For those that think India are ahead, go to your favorite betting site and make some money.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So putting past the Gambhiring on both sides, you'd have to say Australia ahead by a good though not a completely comfortable margin. If they can get to a lead of 100, that will really put all the pressure back on India, while a lead of 150 will require both an excellent Indian batting performance as well as an Australian collapse in the second innings (either batting or bowling) to overcome. It is possible but definitely you'd have to say Australia about 60/40 here. For those that think India are ahead, go to your favorite betting site and make some money.
Australia are obviously ahead but I don't think a 100 run lead will be enough. Im not backing that batting order to chase down more than 120 odd in the final dig

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Australia are obviously ahead but I don't think a 100 run lead will be enough. Im not backing that batting order to chase down more than 120 odd in the final dig
A lead of 100 would mean India scoring 220 to get themselves a 120 lead - that's not anywhere near a given and definitely puts the pressure on India as I said. Let's just be honest here. And on top of that, a lead of 120 means there is no scoreboard pressure and one partnership means you're through. India can certainly come back here and they are not out of the game at all, but the batting lineup is brittle and prone to big collapses which the lower order shores up. So there are big holes in both sides.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I'm an avid anti-Gambhirer so I genuinely believe Aus can still be rolled out for a lead of less than 75, assuming our guys get their **** together in a big way. But 75 is best-case scenario and that's still a lot on this wicket. You wouldn't feel comfortable with setting a target of less than 200 for Aus to chase, even granting the very real possibility that they may get rolled out for 100 themselves and therefore render everything moot. Soo, way I see it, India has to do all the running to turn this around. 65:35 sounds about right before play begins but that could tilt drastically in Aus' favor by the first drinks break today.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just watched the extended highlights. Tbh I really love watching cricket on wickets like this.

I'm now finally believer in "Khawaja is properly good against spin," too. Such a monumental late-career improvement from someone who used to struggle against part-time offies on Australian pitches.

R!TTER

State Regular
The first session will be the key again, early morning dew/moisture has generally been a feature through most of the tests at this time of the year.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just watched the extended highlights. Tbh I really love watching cricket on wickets like this.

I'm now finally believer in "Khawaja is properly good against spin," too. Such a monumental late-career improvement from someone who used to struggle against part-time offies on Australian pitches.
Why weren't you watching live

You sewer rat

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Have posted this ad nauseam

The last time Australia won in India, we simply picked our best attack at the time (McGrath, Gillespie, Kasper & Warne) and adopted tactics/field placements to suit conditions

On every single occasion since then, the selectors have gotten funky with random spinners with predictable results

So you think O'Keefe shouldn't have played in 2017?
It virtually never means picking your best four bowlers overall because for most countries, those best four overall bowlers are usually all fast bowlers and in all but the most extreme of greentops, even a mediocre Test spinner >>>> fourth best quick when it comes to actually winning Tests, which is the point.
Just thought I'd dig up this conversation lol. Imagine if Australia had picked an attack of Starc, Boland, Morris, Green and Lyon on this deck.

the big bambino

International Captain
Would have to agree Khawaja's improvement against spin is Hayden like. Probably an even better transformation considering how bad he was against even the ordinary stuff on roads.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Morris isn’t in our best attack so ….
I think he's probably a better bowler than Murphy overall and as such part of the "best attack" from the players on tour, but even if not it still would have been a ridiculous attack for this surface.

Your perspective certainly would've picked Haze and Cummins over another spinner if they were fit/available too. It possibly would've actually led to no spinners at all at full strength because Boland is very arguably better than Lyon. India would've then won by an innings and you'd have complained about the pitch.