• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Stead: lol at anyone who thought there would be any change to the side whatsoever:

Stead said he was optimistic opening bat Devon Conway and pace bowler Matt Henry will be fit for the first test against Sri Lanka at Hagley Oval in Christchurch starting on March 9.

Conway didn’t field on the fifth day with an abductor strain while Henry went off before lunch with a lower back problem but returned to bowl after the break.

That means New Zealand will keep the same squad of 13 they had at the Basin Reserve for the tests versus Sri Lanka in Christchurch and Wellington.

“There's always people knocking on the door, and you always have those conversations, but we felt the 13 that we had here is the right 13 to go forward,” Stead said.

Not very surprising, knew that all along anyways. There is no way Stead would cut Nicholls. There is no chance he's going to change the outlook of the team. He wants to sign off with a victory in test cricket. I'm sure he has already selected the world cup team and teams already for the rest of the time he has. He's a risk-averse man. Exact opposite of Baz.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Latham
Rachin
Conway
Williamson
Phillips
Blundell
Mitchell/Smith
Jamieson/---------insert name here
Southee
Henry
--------Insert name here

Young still next cab off the rank for batting after those blokes
Boult and Jamieson obviously welcome with open arms
Dropping Mitchell would be totally insane imo. It's possible it was a bit of a golden run and he'll descend into mediocrity, but you should find that out before deciding it for him while he's still averaging over 50.

I like the idea of Mitchell, Rachin and Phillips as a kind of context dependent fifth bowler though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dropping Mitchell would be totally insane imo. It's possible it was a bit of a golden run and he'll descend into mediocrity, but you should find that out before deciding it for him while he's still averaging over 50.

I like the idea of Mitchell, Rachin and Phillips as a kind of context dependent fifth bowler though.
I wouldn't drop him either. But I reckon Smith in squad is good.

Flem274*

123/5
The downplaying expectations thing is just so triggering to an eternally stubborn punisher like me.

How many players from our own history make the 2021 side? We were considering dropping one of our best ever bowlers for the spin option, that's how stacked that team was.

Sure, most of the bigger names make it in place of Nicholls (even if an opener like Turner - just slide Latham or Conway) and we'd find room for Hadlee/Cowie/Bond ahead of...someone. Cairns, Vettori, Reid and Oram over CdG.

The vast majority of even our good test players don't get near in 2021, whereas now they'd be lining up. A solid player like Chris Martin is a much better bet than the alleged for example.

We've rekt our own best ever talent pool in 18 months. Imagine what Stephen Fleming could do with this cattle given he made the top 4 with many guys who would soundly be solid domestic men today.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I find it staggering that he can just have no care whatsoever for the state of this team in one or two years. Surely it’s part of the job to plan for the future? What a tragic legacy to leave.
His boss David White is happy though, that's all it matters to keep the job.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ haven't won a series at home in 2 summers and 3 go's and in that time they got smashed by a bangladesh without tamin or shakib and lost to an SA lineup that didn't pass 200 for about 8 innings straight at one point. Don't know how a coach can sit there and say everything is ok when it's just clearly not.

Mike5181

International Captain
We play no test cricket for 7-8 months after this series. You can't blame players grinding domestic cricket if they just say **** it and pick up T20 contracts instead.

Flem274*

123/5
We play no test cricket for 7-8 months after this series. You can't blame players grinding domestic cricket if they just say **** it and pick up T20 contracts instead.
I've posted this before but now that cricket is fully pro and the team is stable, domestic cricketer needs to be an upper middle class job.

It would soothe both the wait for opportunities and lessen the financial anxiety of being dropped from the Black Caps with a fresh mortgage.

NZC can pay for it from the same magical well they found the PCB simp money in.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
All our domestic contracted players should be playing overseas during winter, in club cricket wherever they can find a place. I often wonder if domestic fortunes change so dramatically for a lot of our players who aren't in the Black Caps because they literally just don't play cricket for a good few months. Seems like barely any player can string two good seasons together.

Howsie

International Captain
All our domestic contracted players should be playing overseas during winter, in club cricket wherever they can find a place. I often wonder if domestic fortunes change so dramatically for a lot of our players who aren't in the Black Caps because they literally just don't play cricket for a good few months. Seems like barely any player can string two good seasons together.
Hmmm I don’t know, it makes sense but I’ve definitely heard of it having a detrimental effect in regards to first class cricketers.

Bharat Popli played a season in the UK right after being named domestic cricketer of the year 5/6 years ago and he reckons because of the wickets he was playing on (slow, tired etc) he picked up some bad habits technically.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
And of course that means that ****ing tosser Kuggeleijn stays in the squad and any last minute injury and he picks up another undeserved cap.
I sadly expect he'll start. Nicholls at 4 (Young dropped), Bracewell 7, Kuggeleijn 8 for his batting.

I really hope SL beats us

Last edited: