• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

slippy888

International Captain
Why kholi change his diet when everything was going fine with his career all this politics could have been done at the end of his career

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think it adds enormously at the top level tbh, but that's not inconsistent with consciously avoided over-thinking the pitch. It's there, it is what it is and you have to play on it. So have a quick look at it then get on with ****. Seeing blokes bending over the deck and virtually examining it with a magnifying glass like some of the Australian players did before the first test is peak stupidity.
Yeah I was just replying to the beer comment. I agree with your point regarding the pitch. Touring teams always over analyze this stuff in India. And it basically never works out the way they think - almost always they’re better off playing their best team and playing their style.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I was just replying to the beer comment. I agree with your point regarding the pitch. Touring teams always over analyze this stuff in India. And it basically never works out the way they think - almost always they’re better off playing their best team and playing their style.
Have posted this ad nauseam

The last time Australia won in India, we simply picked our best attack at the time (McGrath, Gillespie, Kasper & Warne) and adopted tactics/field placements to suit conditions

On every single occasion since then, the selectors have gotten funky with random spinners with predictable results

Spark

Global Moderator
Have posted this ad nauseam

The last time Australia won in India, we simply picked our best attack at the time (McGrath, Gillespie, Kasper & Warne) and adopted tactics/field placements to suit conditions

On every single occasion since then, the selectors have gotten funky with random spinners with predictable results
So you think O'Keefe shouldn't have played in 2017?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah social's insistence that conditions be totally ignored is bonkers.
Clearly with a full strength attack, the right thing to do at Dehli would have been not to play a spinner at all. All pace attack, because pick your best bowlers regardless of the conditions, right? Plainly, the key to victory on a pitch where spinners took a mere 30-odd wickets out of a possible 36 is to have played Michael Neser and Scott Boland.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You should always pick your best attack, for the conditions.

That doesn't mean deciding the balance of the attack in a bubble without considering the quality of your various bowlers.

But it doesn't mean just picking your best four overall bowlers either.

It's possible (but unlikely) that Australia's best attack on a total bunsen could only include one spinner because their quicks are soooo much better than their spinners, but you have to factor in both things. It's never as simple as "pitch says two spinners" or "depth chart says no spinners".

Spark

Global Moderator
It virtually never means picking your best four bowlers overall because for most countries, those best four overall bowlers are usually all fast bowlers and in all but the most extreme of greentops, even a mediocre Test spinner >>>> fourth best quick when it comes to actually winning Tests, which is the point.

Spark

Global Moderator
Having said all that it sounds like Kuhnemann is going to keep his spot which IDK about. He didn't really impress me that much in Delhi. His first spell was good but he fell away consistently after that.