• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Mike5181

International Captain
That'll be so cruel, the man has had one test match as a comeback and when he was not at his best. He's way too good to be lost in the domestic circuit where batting can be a bit of a lottery given the kind of decks that's on display for the last couple of years in some centers. It's almost draw of the luck.
The relevant question is, would you have him in an XI over Ravindra or Phillips?

Athlai

Not Terrible
That'll be so cruel, the man has had one test match as a comeback and when he was not at his best. He's way too good to be lost in the domestic circuit where batting can be a bit of a lottery given the kind of decks that's on display for the last couple of years in some centers. It's almost draw of the luck.
He has now played 13 Tests in 27 months and averages 26. It's time for someone else.

Ghost

U19 12th Man
Will Young seems short of cricket rather than anything else. Seems like he's only played a domestic T20 here and the odd FT game there all summer

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
It's coming up in April 1st or 2nd week, that at least is what one of the bloke in the set up said.
Blackcaps in Pakistan at that time for white ball series.

So, that would reduce some of the (expected) availability. Actually, similar to the A tour to India in September. Players like Chapman, Young Cleaver etc will either be in blackcaps by rights, or elevated in there because a normal starter is in IPL.

Last edited:

Immenso

After yesterday, I wonder if Trent Boult is enjoying his random meaningless T20 matches …
A funny thing to me, although I'm pretty sure Trent wouldn't give a sh!t ....

His most recent games were not even official T20s. The Dubai tournament is not sanctioned by ICC. Those game are classified as 'Miscellaneous', of the same status as the Brian Dunning Cup in Taupo.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
1. Rachin Ravindra - 6
2. Devon Conway
3. Kane Williamson
4. Tom Latham
5. Glenn Phillips/Will Young
6. Daryl Mitchell - 4
7. Tom Blundell+
8. Nathan Smith/Henry Shipley - 3
9. Ish Sodhi - 5
10. Matt Henry - 2
11. Tim Southee - 1

nzfan

The relevant question is, would you have him in an XI over Ravindra or Phillips?
Nah I wouldn't change the team right now. I'd have Young batting at no.4. Conway and Latham still opening.

Would definitely bring in Ajaz even if it is at the cost of some runs. In any case the no.7 we are picking aren't really contributing runs.

nzfan

Will Young seems short of cricket rather than anything else. Seems like he's only played a domestic T20 here and the odd FT game there all summer
And he looked pretty out of it in the warm up game too. The comeback came at a rather not so good time for him. A series vs SL will do him good.

nzfan

Blackcaps in Pakistan at that time for white ball series.

So, that would reduce some of the (expected) availability. Actually, similar to the A tour to India in September. Players like Chapman, Young Cleaver etc will either be in blackcaps by rights, or elevated in there because a normal starter is in IPL.
Yeah totally forgot Pakistan series will be on too then.

If I were Finn Allen I'd give the IPL a skip. You never know somebody may bang a lot of runs and in no time Finn would be out of the squad. As much as Gary and Larsen back him there are high chances somebody may end up being more valuable during the series in Pakistan.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
While I do think Young should be dropped from the Test team, he definitely should be persisted with around the A team and wider Black Caps squad. Might not be his time now, but could easily see him step up in the future.
He should be given the Sri Lanka series at least. We know Nicholls should be dropped but I can see them dropping Young and moving Mitchell to 4 to accommodate either Phillips at 6 or an extra bowler.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm going to be so gutted if we don't play Rachin or Phillips
I'm torn because I do think Young just needs a decent run, some backing and confidence. But I also want some yoof and Phillips has a weird x factor (is 26) and also Ravindra would be gun (at 23) but someone has to miss out unless we bat a ridiculously long tail or drop someone like Mitchell or Latham.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Latham
Rachin
Conway
Williamson
Phillips
Blundell
Mitchell/Smith
Jamieson/---------insert name here
Southee
Henry