• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in South Africa 2022/23

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Mayers again lol. Far too productive to be labelled a part-timer. Is bowling his stronger suit in Tests?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Mayers again lol. Far too productive to be labelled a part-timer. Is bowling his stronger suit in Tests?
He's got 100 fc wickets @21 but only takes 1 or 2 wicket a game, hard to label his bowling his stronger suit given the ceiling his batting has.

Marius

International Debutant
FC9615916445718131.161051442.3982553734520

FC961351168758832097/3610/9028.143.0255.91092

He can bat these stats say batting 7 bowling 4 or 5. like mulder except mulder should be a better 7.
I didn't say he couldn't bat, I said bowling is his stronger discipline, in my opinion, and I don't think he can be called a batting all-rounder.

On the strength of what discipline was he picked for this Test match?

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
He's got 100 fc wickets @21 but only takes 1 or 2 wicket a game, hard to label his bowling his stronger suit given the ceiling his batting has.
He's got the stroke-play but not the technique or innings-building ability. Frustrating. Bowling is probably his better suit against sides with good pace bowlers.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
1.Joshua Richards
2.Aiden Markram
3.Tony De Zorzi
4.Ryan Rickleton
5.Janneman Malan
6.Temba Bavuma (C)
7.Kyle Verreynne (WK)
8.Marco Jansen
9.Keshav Maharaj
10.Kagiso Rabada
11.Anrich Nortje /Lungi Ngidi
Malan's fc form has been a bit shaky recently hasn't it? Remember him getting a few low scores in the middle of the season.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Malan's fc form has been a bit shaky recently hasn't it? Remember him getting a few low scores in the middle of the season.
Was on some tough pitches in Boland , but I like his tenacity he got a 70 in his last FC game to save a match , I want that in the middle order some balls . I also think he has a good conversion rate , too many batters in the SA team get a start and don't kick on ..That's why Bavuma should be no higher than 5 .

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1.Joshua Richards
2.Aiden Markram
3.Tony De Zorzi
4.Ryan Rickleton
5.Janneman Malan
6.Temba Bavuma (C)
7.Kyle Verreynne (WK)
8.Marco Jansen
9.Keshav Maharaj
10.Kagiso Rabada
11.Anrich Nortje /Lungi Ngidi
I agree on dropping Elgar. Malan has been off the boil for awhile now and also don't think his position is 5 (or 6). I like Richards, but would prefer to see de Zorzi open instead. I would pick van Tonder before Richards and play him at position 3; I would also, look at Breetzke first. I don't know what Petersen has done to offend he has looked good when playing and deserved the shot. And I think there is a huge issue in not playing a batting allrounder, my preference is Mulder.

The point here is that this current batting order is young and largely untested outside Bavuma and Elgar, we will all have preferences and biases as to whom should be playing first. The problem is not the current team selection overall its that its the first time we have given players deserving of a shot a proper shot; the problem is its taken 3 to 5 years to get to this point of actually trying to build a decent test team.

Slifer

International Captain
Refuse to watch any WI cricket where Roston Chase is featured. What exactly is the point of him being in the team? Like seriously.

Coronis

International Coach
Huh, as soon as Elgar gets dropped as captain he actually scores some runs, go figure. Anyway haven’t been particularly keeping up with SA players (who has?) but why wasn’t Markram in the tour against Aus and why isn’t Veryenne here now? (assuming injury for both otherwise neither makes sense)

Also what the hell is SA of all countries doing debuting a 30 average FC fast bowler lol?

StephenZA

Huh, as soon as Elgar gets dropped as captain he actually scores some runs, go figure. Anyway haven’t been particularly keeping up with SA players (who has?) but why wasn’t Markram in the tour against Aus and why isn’t Veryenne here now? (assuming injury for both otherwise neither makes sense)
Markram was dropped for Aus tour... and Klaasen was preferred as keeper for this tour. Been a change of management, selection and coach.

Also what the hell is SA of all countries doing debuting a 30 average FC fast bowler lol?
Watch and wait.... Coetzee will be one of premium fast bowlers in the world in two years,

Starfighter

Alzarri Joseph averages 35 with the ball , how I don't know he's got all the attributes
Lacks brains. It took him several years just to stop bowling everything from the edge of the crease and he still struggles to plan anything. Rather Jerome Taylor-eqsue in that regard.