• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking they should continue with Macewell till the end of the season in test cricket and see how he goes but seeing him bowl today I can't back that. If you are going to say I am only good enough to bowl to left handers and even then will leak runs that is not going to cut.
Should we pick Sodhi vs SL, or is Ravindra and Phillips plus 4 seamers a better attack?

Could also pick Blundell at 6 with 4 seamers (7-11 Smith, Sodhi, Henry, Southee, Tickner)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to find a more match-losing performance than Macewell. One of the stupidest run-outs of all-time and has bowled pies when England have been under pressure.
3 terrible selections: Nicholls, Bracewell, 2023 Wagner

Also terrible to pick both Nicholls and Young, should be either/or or neither.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Bracewell can improve both with the bat and ball, has some skills to work with but that is if he can go back to domestic cricket and learn a bit more and come back in a year or two's time (standard phrase used for younger players) but oh shoot he's already 32 heading 33. Problem only backing older players.

vandem

International 12th Man
Bracewell can improve both with the bat and ball, has some skills to work with but that is if he can go back to domestic cricket and learn a bit more and come back in a year or two's time (standard phrase used for younger players) but oh shoot he's already 32 heading 33. Problem only backing older players.
Improve with ball perhaps. But he has been a top order batter for 11 full FC seasons, averages 32, not sure how he will improve to be a test top 6 batter. For comparison, de Grandhomme FC average was 37, enough to be a #6/#7 batting all-rounder.

Macewell batting in white ball cricket is a different story, obviously has hitting ability.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Only way to turn around things now for Bracewell is if he can pick 3 wickets from now and win the test match. For a starter maybe get Root and then Stokes. He can happily play for another year or so in test cricket and retire.

Stead/Larsen mode "He bowled beautifully today, Root got lucky and he beat Stokes bat 3 times. Beasty picks the best of the batsmen like Azam, Root and Stokes. Well worth keeping him in the side till he calls it a time. Besides he has the dynasty and genes of Bracewell. He is bound to do well. Been very unlucky with the bat so far. His best is yet to come."

Irrespective he will play the next two test matches vs SL at least so better off back him and hope he comes all right.

alexaston71

Cricket Spectator
Anyone with an opinion on player of the match? I reckon I'm looking good with my pre match bet on Harry Brook providing England win, but if Root bats until the end he must also be a contender. Brooks Williamson wicket could make the difference I hope.

Brook's side

International Regular
Anyone with an opinion on player of the match? I reckon I'm looking good with my pre match bet on Harry Brook providing England win, but if Root bats until the end he must also be a contender. Brooks Williamson wicket could make the difference I hope.
if he's there at the end and england win then it has to be root

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Good question. Brook's innings was unreal, and overshadowed Root's ton somewhat. But, Root is on track for a second/fourth innings ton to win a match, when if he got out for anything less than 50 NZ would be in the drivers seat. Though then you could also argue Brook's colossal quick ton really put the screws on NZ and we may have not followed on if he scored a paltry 100 and not 180.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Don't forget Leach with 8 wickets.