• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
So Southee now has no confidence in Wagner? Does that mean we have to see an overdose of himself, henry and bracewell tomorrow?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Southee now has no confidence in Wagner? Does that mean we have to see an overdose of himself, henry and bracewell tomorrow?
Yeah, this is the concern. :( And Mitchell was dreadful in the first innings, so I don't think we'll be wanting to use him much either.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If you don't know why Robinson is the nightwatchman now, is because we'll need Broad to hit 20 off 10 balls to hit the winning runs with England nine down tomorrow

Daniel CC

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well done New Zealand for making it competitive. However, this will be a massive anti climax of a run chase.

Series done.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, and fair enough,too. He's not an asset anymore,he has no weapons. He shouldn't bowl at all tomorrow, it's going to be just over a session and those 3 should do all the bowling.

This is Wags' final Test, what a champion he has been.

Zinzan

England will thank me for jinxing him, but while there's been a few grumbles (esp Zinzan iirc) that Mitchell has now been exposed and is going to fall from grace, I believe he's a very good batsman and provides something this side otherwise lacks. A genuine late-developer imo. Won't retain current test batting average of 57 of course, but will be a performer nonetheless.
Agree & all I really said is folks shouldn't get carried away with his 3 100s in England, or he'll be a myth. I see him more as a late 30s/early 40s average middle order bat which based on NZ FC cricket atm should secure his spot in the middle order for some time.

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

You see Wagner's economy not good for test bowler in last 2 innings so I will not blame tim.

(Abrar in his first 4 test conceded 942 runs A world record) so captain always right when opposition chase 200 odd for win.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You can't bowl 3 bowlers in 3 hours lol
Gonna have to. That's 40 overs max tomorrow, 7-8 from Southee Henry to start, Bracewell on,someone will have to bowl 2-3 to give those two sealers a rest then they can rotate from one end.

Wagner is just not the right guy if you want to bowl England out. Nor is Mitchell. They went in 3 seamers, one that is on his last legs, and it's going to work against them. The extra batsman was Young and that hasn't paid off

Zinzan

Some good fight with the bat from Latham, Conway, KW & Blundell but England once again just too strong & based on their positivity with the bat, showing they don't need 5 days to force a result even on a good batting pitch like this one.

Surprised it they don't win by 5 wickets in no more than 2 sessions tomorrow.

Surely Crawley has to be dropped for The Ashes now. Pope to open, everyone else moves up a slot & Bairstow moves back into the middle order with Brook.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Y'all are going to be surprised when Wagner comes out tomorrow and sends down fireballs

As will the rest of us - not least the non-fire-retardant batsmen at the crease.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tbf I don't think you can blame Blundell. At 9 down and 10 short of a hundred you've kinda got to roll the dice.
Blundell doesn't get off for free. He wasn't batting with Chris Martin, he was batting with Wagner who has successfully batted long periods of time against England before. He'd taken a single of the first ball of the preceding over to leave Wagner with 5 balls and then attempts to slog without method and also gave his wicket away.

nzfan

Blundell doesn't get off for free. He wasn't batting with Chris Martin, he was batting with Wagner who has successfully batted long periods of time against England before. He'd taken a single of the first ball of the preceding over to leave Wagner with 5 balls and then attempts to slog without method and also gave his wicket away.
I'd pick more of Nicholls and Darryl for getting in and getting out. Those 30s, 50s generally have no bearing unless we're playing on a minefield.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Feels harsh but if Mitchell reined it in he could've easily gotten a hundred the way he was going. But instead fell into a trap of going hard at everything.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I kinda feel this way too. You can't lay blame at his feet completely but it was a pretty reckless option. England set a trap and he fell into it perfectly. And Southees shot was vintage him, just a dirty slog with no logic. At least in the first dig he was hitting in decent areas

nzfan

Southee as a captain is proving to be worse than Latham. Wrong team selections, not using your resources properly, not at all creative in fieldsets.

Look at Stokes, he did great as a captain. He even used Brook to turn things around. Set some creative fields to check the run rate. Used his lone spinner on this deck beyond imagination. I'm certain against the tail Southee and others would have lined up to pick some cheap wickets. Clearly Stokes has shown how to captain even when chips are down. Plenty of Baz's creativity was in display through Stokes.

Hope we do the same tomorrow rather than have standard fields which obviously won't work against England. They won't play orthodox cricket to be picked in orthodox manner.