• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

Howe_zat

Audio File
Really strong day for NZ. Dug themselves out of the mire.

Pleased for Leach. He's been a bit of also ran in the figures but has earned some joy, and on a surface doing nothing for him was our best bowler and could have taken a couple more with a bit of luck.

Spark

Global Moderator
nah, Basin pitch only gets better and better to bat on and NZ has a toy attack. Would just about back England to chase 250 in 30 overs.
NZ's best shot is that they just bat and bat and bat and exhaust England physically a la the Karun Nair game. It's unlikely but miles in legs can do strange things to batsmen on the 5th day.

This of course is why you basically never enforce the follow on unless you absolutely must.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If (huge if) we bat through the day tomorrow in 100 overs @ about 3.3 we'll have a lead of 300. If we are not all out, one of Southee/Henry/Wagner might get lucky before drinks on day 5.

England would probably easily chase down 350 in 85 overs, but who knows?

The key is batting out day 4. What is the weather forecast?

Socerer 01

International Captain
it’d be peak Bazball if they were set a reasonably high target and they failed to get it because they just slogged too much and lost all of their wickets in the process

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
If (huge if) we bat through the day tomorrow in 100 overs @ about 3.3 we'll have a lead of 300. If we are not all out, one of Southee/Henry/Wagner might get lucky before drinks on day 5.

England would probably easily chase down 350 in 85 overs, but who knows?

The key is batting out day 4. What is the weather forecast?
Weather looks good tbh, I don't know why people keep saying it's a dodgy forecast.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
it’d be peak Bazball if they were set a reasonably high target and they failed to get it because they just slogged too much and lost all of their wickets in the process
The worst thing would be if Bracewell gets a lucky 50 and 5-fer and then stays in the team for the next 6 years and becomes next captain after Southee.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
As well as needing 4 runs to eclipse Taylor as NZ's leading test run scorer, he also needs 114 more to go past Rosco's record for runs at the Basin.

nzfan

That was a great day... Don't know why we didn't apply ourselves like this. Playing reverse sweeps for the sake of it, not playing the line of the ball, trusting the defence etc... Decided I was not going to message here during the game to see if that works. Looks like it did so far :)

nzfan

Will young....its OVER.
Not really... if Nicholls can stay this long and so can other players Young will also get a good run and no doubt he will have a long fruitful career. My heart broke when he got out. It's the worst feeling when you're making a comeback and you get out for nothing in a test match.

nzfan

Let's hope we'll go well in the second dig. The lead is not massive. Good opportunity to turn things around. Stanger things have happened in cricket. There's lot of time left in the Test match still. If we bat well we can still set it up.
You see when you stay positive forever you are bound to have good days even if it looks bleak :thumbup:

If we can get a lead of 150 runs you never know what may happen. Strange things do happen fairly regularly. I see Aussie woman took 5 wicktets in 6 balls today for 1 run when the opponent needed 4 runs to get over the line.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really... if Nicholls can stay this long and so can other players Young will also get a good run and no doubt he will have a long fruitful career. My heart broke when he got out. It's the worst feeling when you're making a comeback and you get out for nothing in a test match.
We have to back Young over an extended period of time. The guy has no confidence right now.

nzfan

We have to back Young over an extended period of time. The guy has no confidence right now.
100% doesn't matter at whose cost otherwise he'll be gone. A new regime may come in and opt for youngsters. Young is neither a youngster nor a seasoned international player as yet. It's precarious.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
100% doesn't matter at whose cost otherwise he'll be gone. A new regime may come in and opt for youngsters. Young is neither a youngster nor a seasoned international player as yet. It's precarious.
Not only would it be bad for Young, it's basically bad for any batsman hoping to make the side. It'd send the message "hey, look, if we're adding you to the XI and you're not injury cover, you've got one test to perform. Just ignore that we're retaining a guy who hasn't bought a run in his last 10 tests, he gets preferential treatment because he's seen as a senior squad member. You're not, soooooo, good luck and no pressure eh"

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's not much past 30, he has 4-5-6 years ahead if we do things right. He's a guy who would have Test hundreds and be a mainstay in the Test side (if not ODIs as well) if he'd been handled well by a proactive, positive management group, but we don't have one of those.

nzfan

Not only would it be bad for Young, it's basically bad for any batsman hoping to make the side. It'd send the message "hey, look, if we're adding you to the XI and you're not injury cover, you've got one test to perform. Just ignore that we're retaining a guy who hasn't bought a run in his last 10 tests, he gets preferential treatment because he's seen as a senior squad member. You're not, soooooo, good luck and no pressure eh"
I'm not sure what you are meaning but I'm saying you can't drop him after one bad test. He has to be given a reasonable run. At least 3 series. Not just having in the squad but should be playing all 6 test matches. If he can't pull off good knocks then you move to the next guy.