• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team is currently the best, in 2023?

Test format ofc: top team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
My point has always been that India's inability to win in Eng/NZ/SA keeps them from no.1 status.

England, we are judging Stokes team, not Roots.

I have been consistent, unlike you contortionists.
And England's inability to win in Ind/WI/Aus/Bang keep them from no 1 status

Ind, we are judging Rohit's team not Rahul's

PaulLennon

U19 Debutant
Didn't address the argument about the nature of the victory.

No, this Stokes team would crush WI home and away. History makes no difference to them. I don't think you actually believe that WI stand a chance, you are just saying this for the arguments sake.

We can speculate if those openers would have made a difference, but the point again which you ignore if that you said there is 'no indication' that's Stokes can beat India at home. A test victory is a pretty obvious indication so that is untrue.

Cas the same Indian side was whitewashed in NZ and the middle order is in even worse shape now. England, on the other hand, weren't even fully fit with Anderson in WI last time, and are a very different side under Stokes which you like to ignore.

Once again, irrelevant since we are talking CURRENT teams, hence evaluating Stokes run. Judging Stokes by Roots' losses is silly and shows you are either not aware enough to see a difference in quality of leadership or deliberately obscuring things to prop India up.

Your fundamental problem is you don't want to give Stokes' side credit because it makes India look bad to you.
No, this Stokes team would crush WI home and away. History makes no difference to them. I don't think you actually believe that WI stand a chance, you are just saying this for the arguments sake. - Yeah, something that KP, Anderson, Cook, Trott, Swann, Root, Broad etc have never achieved.

We can speculate if those openers would have made a difference, but the point again which you ignore if that you said there is 'no indication' that's Stokes can beat India at home. A test victory is a pretty obvious indication so that is untrue. - A one-off test victory is no indication for an entire series considering they were 1-2 a year ago with same personnel and even in the first test, conceded a lead.

Cas the same Indian side was whitewashed in NZ and the middle order is in even worse shape now. England, on the other hand, weren't even fully fit with Anderson in WI last time, and are a very different side under Stokes which you like to ignore. - Cause the same England side lost in WI last time and the time before that as well and Anderson was present. India, on the other hand were not even fully fit with Bumrah and Ishant last time in NZ, and are a very different side under Rohit with the introduction of Siraj, Gill etc which you like to ignore.

Your fundamental problem is you don't want to give Stokes' side credit because it makes India look bad to you. - Your fundamental problem is to make India look bad you are overrating Stoke's side whose run is way less impressive than India's 2015-17 run.

The fact that the Pakistan cricket team is finished just like the hockey team before it as well as the economy seems to really have done a number on you. Stoke's team has managed some home wins and away wins against a horrible minnow-level Pakistan team and a declining NZ.

subshakerz

International Coach
This really reinforced my view that people are kind of answering two different questions here.

For some, like subshakerz, "which team is currently the best?" really is just hypothetical thinking in our own minds - because that's what the nature of the question is. Results from 2019 or whatever are basically irrelevant as to which team is the best now. It's a hypothetical thought experiment question by its very nature.

For others, like you, it's something that has to be earned and proven over long-term results.

I think you disagree more over what the question is really asking than what the answers should be.
Yes agreed. I am focusing on the current aspect which is more speculative of how teams would do today in hypothetical matchups, and past is only tangentially informative. As you mention tho, that is the nature of the question of this thread, which I try to remind others.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes agreed. I am focusing on the current aspect which is more speculative of how teams would do today in hypothetical matchups, and past is only tangentially informative. As you mention tho, that is the nature of the question of this thread, which I try to remind others.
What we are reminding you is that hypotheticals don't always work out in real life. Current best team is based on results they've churned out in recent past, which you are not abled to grasp or learn.

anil1405

International Captain
The fundamental flaw in your hypothetical fantasy land is that you would never have predicted an Indian win in Australia in 20-21 or given India a chance of winning two tests on their last tour of Eng, while predicting an easy win for Eng in WI in their previous tour etc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The fundamental flaw in your hypothetical fantasy land is that you would never have predicted an Indian win in Australia in 20-21 or given India a chance of winning two tests on their last tour of Eng, while predicting an easy win for Eng in WI in their previous tour etc.
People can be wrong about hypothetical matchups. That's the fun in discussing them. Objective measures need no discussion.

anil1405

International Captain
People can be wrong about hypothetical matchups. That's the fun in discussing them. Objective measures need no discussion.
Absolutely. People can be wrong in their predictions and people are also allowed to change their mind and votes. My point is primarily about how subz loves to push his opinion on others vividly and tends to write India off at every given opportunity and take the fun out of it.

ataraxia

International Coach
The obsession with series wins here is yuck. Results are pretty random really (edit: as in they have high level of variation).

subshakerz

International Coach
Nobody would predict BG2021, that doesn't mean that all speculation is groundless.

subshakerz

International Coach
Absolutely. People can be wrong in their predictions and people are also allowed to change their mind and votes. My point is primarily about how subz loves to push his opinion on others vividly and tends to write India off at every given opportunity and take the fun out of it.
I am not biased against India tho the attitude of posters here kinda makes me wish I was.

ataraxia

International Coach
Yeah winning is for losers.

Having a good team on paper that people think should win is where it's at.
shut it

Really the thing is IMO that recently all 3 teams have done very well (Aus touring Ind without top players get smashed wow so horrible must be a **** team)

Socerer 01

International Captain
This really reinforced my view that people are kind of answering two different questions here.

For some, like subshakerz, "which team is currently the best?" really is just hypothetical thinking in our own minds - because that's what the nature of the question is. Results from 2019 or whatever are basically irrelevant as to which team is the best now. It's a hypothetical thought experiment question by its very nature.

For others, like you, it's something that has to be earned and proven over long-term results.

I think you disagree more over what the question is really asking than what the answers should be.
except for all the parts where Subs is clearly using previous history to diss on India’s hypothetical chances while saying that it doesn’t matter for other competitors. wonder why his own logic is so inconsistent when it comes to India alone:ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
shut it

Really the thing is IMO that recently all 3 teams have done very well (Aus touring Ind without top players get smashed wow so horrible must be a **** team)
They couldn't even beat India at home lol. I'm really not sure why they're rated at all. They're not **** - they're never any worse than kind of mid-tier - but I was surprised to learn that anyone thought they were in India's league at all.

England are harder to rate properly because they've changed so rapidly.

ataraxia

International Coach
Anyway I thought this might be an interesting thread on what people think might be the best out of the three teams at this very instant (ignoring short-term injuries), because all three teams are very close in quality IMO. But it has devolved into a CWian festival of horrors: the worst permutation of an anal-ysis by checklist combined with nationalistic ****fighting (tbf only from Indian posters). So haha bye bye i guess

(re PEWS: I'm of the opinion that that was a fluke – a very enjoyable one though unlike ebaGOAT's. But I do think I was too overly swayed by Aus' amazeballs home summer just gone.)