• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I squarely blame it on the management, it could include selectors, coach, senior players, captains and the leaders in the team. They collectively lack courage and conviction to make sure the future is taken care of. If Southee wouldn't have been appointed a captain I'm pretty sure he would have followed suit with Boult. CDG did that too and so did Jimmy.

I understand they are often under immense pressure to win games, particularly in professional sports where there are financial and reputational stakes involved. Particularly the financial part. I think England has learnt that and so has India, there has to be a good mix of experienced players and youth involved to get consistent results.

Phillips (time and again) has proved he can perform under pressure scoring 100s in t20 wc, scoring that quick 50 vs Pakistan in a crunch game, Allen taking on the Aussies in the t20 wc head on, Ravindra playing out a last session vs India in India and bowling equally good in Bangladesh on his first tour etc... There have been signs that we could move on but then the management fall back on CDG, Ish Sodhi, M Bracewell...(Macewell is a gun white ball player and should play the white ball for at least 2-3 years) clearly shows they lack the trust and faith with the younger lot but have a lot of time for the older lot but then the older lot are looking to secure their financial future and rightly so. Nothing wrong providing the older guys a go but then there has to be a balance.

I get that the senior players have a strong emotional or professional connection to older or more experienced players, particularly if they have been with the team for a long time or have achieved great success in the past but at some point in time they have to look at the up coming stock and give them opportunities. In this changing times it was very important to look after the younger lot and secure them for future but this management hasn't done that enough or has not been consistent with that policy i.e. if that policy exists at all.

If we had slid in the likes of Sears, Fisher, Duffy etc much earlier we would have been in a much better place. The management should have preempted this, this is been an ongoing saga for over a decade now. I think NZC need an overall haul. Right from the ability to promote games to future proofing. We could do without a coach that believes we need to tamper our expectations and happy as long as the boat is floating.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah it is, they're exiting the market in the second half of the year. Thought that had already happened

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Total joke NZC knowing they didn't even ask Boult if he was available. First time in my life part of me actually wants us to lose just to spite these imbecile selectors.

**** off NZC
I honestly kinda get not opting for Boult if the selectors were going to make some bold long term selections like Shipley or Smith, or if they were looking at Ferguson for example. And I get their hand has been forced by injuries to Sears and Fisher. Tickner though not a good option. Agreed Shipley probably worth a crack, or maybe Fraser Sheat.

Well I hope they've identified 6 or 7 potential test seamers as we have a lot of tests (for us) in 2024 according to cric schedule and need to find a way to take wickets. We will be playing a lot in Asia so need seamers who can reverse it and bowl short sharp spells.

2 tests at the end of the year in Bangladesh.

SA have 2 tests in NZ Feb 2024 and then Australia have 2 tests here in Feb/March.

Sept 2024 - 1 test v Afghanistan (UAE - neutral).
Sept/Oct 24 - 2 tests in SL.
Oct/Nov - 3 tests in India (gulp)
Nov/Dec 24 - England play 3 tests here.
If they all go ahead that's 13 tests in 2024.
They won't. Afghanistan test will get swapped out for a T20 series, and the India series will be changed to 2 tests and 3 T20's.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly kinda get not opting for Boult if the selectors were going to make some bold long term selections like Shipley or Smith, or if they were looking at Ferguson for example. And I get their hand has been forced by injuries to Sears and Fisher (though given their trackrecord
I like this point. If it's someone who might be around for 8-10 years, great. If it's Scott ****ing Kuggeleijn who probably won't play this Test or any Test ever, it's just pointless.

Shipley averages 27.5 ftr, with Jamieson out he would be in my XI right now.
Will surprise no one that I would have him, maybe not ahead of Duffy but certainly in the squad. Better bowler and batsman than Scott K. I hope the lack of action in domestic airports was the reason (although Duffy is from that way, too).

Happy to back in Duffy, sure he's had ****e seasons but he's also had some very good ones. He might go well on a deck with a bit of spice in it.

nzfan

Duffy seems like the sort of bloke that may just miraculously click at Test level. Sort of like Iain O'Brien.
I think he's definitely reasonable. He is a very good red ball bowler. Goes for plenty in white ball but usually quite solid in red ball. I'm actually glad he's getting a go.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly kinda get not opting for Boult if the selectors were going to make some bold long term selections like Shipley or Smith, or if they were looking at Ferguson for example. And I get their hand has been forced by injuries to Sears and Fisher. Tickner though not a good option. Agreed Shipley probably worth a crack, or maybe Fraser Sheat.
Yeah it's true that with Boult the selectors genuinely are damned if they do, damned if they don't. And Boult is ultimately missing this match because he thought he had better options elsewhere, which is on him.

However I agree with the general sentiment that, while we should prefer the core group and promising (preferably contracted) younguns over Boult, it makes sense to slot the mercenary in if it's convenient to do so when we're in an injury crisis, like now. So I'd select him before someone like Duffy.

Last edited:

nzfan

All of that aside, quite excited to watch test cricket at home. The weather is looking fine after the first day. Hope we get a cracking game of cricket. Don't mind England winning for a change if they can play the kind of cricket they have been since our tour to UK. No expectations really given we're missing our front line bowlers but as long as we can trade punches that'll be all right. A lot rests on Conway and Williamson with the bat. If one or both come off we'll be able to compete.

thierry henry

International Coach
Running about an hour late so should arrive just in time for the thunderstorms.

Also Arsenal lost the most crucial fixture of the season this morning.

All is good, all is well

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we please have some random traffic cctv footage to let us know what's doing with the weather.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
With a Kiwi coach, Kiwi captain and Kiwi spin bowling coach (plus devcich doing something), it feels like that time we lost the Americas cup to a boat filled with Kiwis.