• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
Stats and trivia

?Ben Stokes need 7 more wkts for 200 wkts milestone

?New Zealand have played three previous Tests at Bay Oval. They won the first two by handsome margins: by an innings and 65 runs on England's previous visit, the venue's inaugural fixture in November 2019, and by 101 runs against Pakistan in December 2020. But the most recent produced a shock defeat, by eight wickets to Bangladesh last January.

?England have not won a single Test in New Zealand for 15 years, dating back to their 2-1 series win in March 2008. Since then they have drawn five and lost two of their seven matches, both by innings to settle each of their last two tours.

?Anderson and Broad need five more wickets between them to become the most prolific partnership in Test history. Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath claimed 1001 wickets in 104 games together between 1993 and 2007. Broad and Anderson currently have 997 from 132 appearances, having first played together on the 2008 tour of New Zealand.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Look at this tough guy...such a brave, hardline stance - surely he'd walk right up to Boult if given the chance and demand he drop everything immediately and report to serve his country.

Or...it could happen where he basically bumps into him at a Tauranga shopping mall today, gets all flummoxed about seeing the great left armer in the flesh, stares a bit, then slinks off without saying anything.

What a hero our man Steve is.
Did you bolt out seeing him?

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I reckon they'll get some play in, given the strong drainage, but there'll probably very likely be time off the park.
Met service says slight rain between 2 and 3 pm (about 0.2 mm) and moderate at 9 pm (1.1 mm). Looks like we may get fair bit of cricket today if the ground is in dry conditions.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The fall off of NZ's pace stocks is mind boggling. Went from having an attack of boult-southee-jamieson-wagner all bowling well with Henry in reserve and taking 8fer when called upon to an attack that includes Tickner, a rapist who averages over 30 in FC cricket, a past it Wagner and Southee. Not even mentioning all-round stock, which went from Colin as the first choice with Mitchell's mediums as backup and Ravindra looking good and Phillips being an emergency option to bracewell's Mitch Santner impression being their best choice.

Worst part is that off the top of my head I can't think of that many younger pacers who can take the reigns. Southee's the only bowler in that attack who's gonna consistently perform to test quality and he's 34. Best young options look like Fisher and Jamieson, who can't stay on the park, sears, who's solid but raw, or Shipley/Smith type bowling allrounders. I rate Shipley and smith hugely but both average north of 30 in FC cricket with decent enough sample sizes.

Doesn't help that the only way to get into the team is to be 30+ and that management seem to be actively making the pacers they have worse. They turned Jamieson from Marshall light to whatever he was in the 2021 summer when Bangladesh won a test over here.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure, to be honest, what else could have been done with our pace stocks. We can condemn it, and fair enough, but I think at the end of a cycle you're bound to get to a point where you question how the hell you got there and why things don't continue on like clockwork.

We won the WTC by largely playing the same guys all the time. That success doesn't allow guys behind to develop. They've taken guys on A tours, they've played guys in other formats to expose them to international cricket. The Boult situation is of that player's own making, in the main, or it needs to fall on the ICC to find a way that preserves the international game and franchises. Southee is still going strong at his age which is a credit to him. Wagner is broken after so many years of smashing the crease, which is fair enough. The only way I reckon you can criticise them (and is anyone in the world getting this right?) is the injuries. Fast bowling is a unique, brutal science. Jamieson is broken. Sears is injured. Fisher is injured. Ferguson can't stay on the park long enough to be considered. Ditto Milne. Maybe biomechanically and training wise we need to be better, but that's not an NZ problem.

All I know is from here, we need to identify who the top 3-4-5 guys are and they need to be correctly managed and exposed to become the next wave. However, with the insane run we've had since 2012 (obviously started to drop off after the WTC) I feel like it's only fair that things start to regress, a bit. Get the right coaches, the right support staff, the right bowlers and the right programs, and we go again from here.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Even worse. Steve saw Boult in Tauranga, Mount Manganui is technically a suburb of Tauranga. NZC didn't ask him to play, they probably still could even now. Hes that close.
I do feel like it's a significant failure on our behalf that we didn't ask. Whilst I don't want to set too much of a precedent, there's just too much about this situation that suggests Boult should play. He's going to play the World Cup, we think. So why not now? Surely he wants to test himself against this England side, at home? Surely it means something to him that his side is decimated?

But sorry guys, I could've made a difference at the bottom of that escalator. I could've given Trent the Any Given Sunday speech. I choked.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well I hope they've identified 6 or 7 potential test seamers as we have a lot of tests (for us) in 2024 according to cric schedule and need to find a way to take wickets. We will be playing a lot in Asia so need seamers who can reverse it and bowl short sharp spells.

2 tests at the end of the year in Bangladesh.

SA have 2 tests in NZ Feb 2024 and then Australia have 2 tests here in Feb/March.

Sept 2024 - 1 test v Afghanistan (UAE - neutral).
Sept/Oct 24 - 2 tests in SL.
Oct/Nov - 3 tests in India (gulp)
Nov/Dec 24 - England play 3 tests here.
If they all go ahead that's 13 tests in 2024.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Worst part is that off the top of my head I can't think of that many younger pacers who can take the reigns. Southee's the only bowler in that attack who's gonna consistently perform to test quality and he's 34. Best young options look like Fisher and Jamieson, who can't stay on the park, sears, who's solid but raw, or Shipley/Smith type bowling allrounders. I rate Shipley and smith hugely but both average north of 30 in FC cricket with decent enough sample sizes.
Shipley averages 27.5 ftr, with Jamieson out he would be in my XI right now.

Even though I would've picked Boult and Shipley first, happy for Duffy if he makes the XI. It's been a long road for him, but at his best and if there's a little swing and bounce he's a decent bowler imo. Just have to hope we get Dr Jacob who averages mid 20s in FC cricket, rather than Mr Hyde who loses his action and goes at 40+.