• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

jcas0167

International Debutant
I was going to include this in my previous post but erred on the side of attacking a straw man because Stead responded to a comment about selecting Kuggleijn with:

Can't help but feel by not making the SOS call he was making a moral decision, considering neither of the replacements are centrally contracted. Duffy, sure, he can be considered a potential player in some ways, but Kuggleijn has moved into that Rutherford/Broom part of his career where he's only getting a call as a fall back on a seasoned player, rather than someone who has a genuine chance of winning a contract in the next round.

Just stinks all over for mine.
Agree it's nuts not to pick Boult (assuming he hasn't signaled behind the scenes he's not ready), but Stead's comment is that they "will give priority to the locally contracted players.” Presumably that encompasses players on both domestic and central contracts.

ataraxia

International Coach
IMO considering Bazball we should pick 11 batsman and just have everyone field on the rope while Mitchell opens the bowling with Will Young, the rest of the overs being sent down by Phillips, Williamson, Ravindra and *checks notes* Robbie O'Donnell? Actually, give Blundell a whirl while Latham takes the gloves so we can have the full XI bowl. In fact, bring back Jeet (Raval) for some dour defence at the top and George worker since he fits the 30 plus journeyman criteria, plus can bowl a bit.

Raval
Worker
Williamson
Conway
Young
Latham
Ravindra
Mitchell
Phillips
R O'Donnell
Blundell+
seems a bit light on batting. Also Conway's right-arm tweakers might well come in handy

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tickner’s debuting tomorrow. With the pitch looking like it is I’m guessing that means the attack will Southee, Duffman, Wagz and Tickle-monster with Macewell batting at 7.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I mean, it's only a couple of weeks since Larsen said this:

It's really hard to fathom. I can only assume Boult said that he wouldn't play, but NZC seem to have made great pains to state that they didn't even ask him.
Larsen barely has a say in anything to be honest. Besides he was talking about brining back Munro and Guptill. He just agrees to everything that's asked. Ian Smith asked him if they were considering brining back Munro, Guptill and CDG (Smithy didn't even know CDG has moved on as in retired). Larsen said all of them were in their talks regularly :blink:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

“Since Trent chose to up to give up his contract ... we've made it pretty clear that that priority would go to others and that's the way it's gone," Stead added.

“It's not saying that we've ruled Trent out completely for anything in the future. There will be ongoing discussions.

“We're not sure what the landscape of the cricket world might look like. In six months time it might look slightly different again."

How could the landscape change from here, where the guy is living 800m down the road, isn't playing, is fresh and we're desperate for bowlers? Or should I be cynical and suggest that's Stead allowing himself to pick him for the World Cup, when the 'landscape' has changed?

You either pick him now or never, for me.
I think what he means by the changing of landscape is more people start taking Boult's route and it becomes clear that you can't have a winning team without picking players that aren't on central contracts.

nzfan

Trying to guess who can give us 10 years + fast bowling career from the current bunch... can't think of anyone really which means we will see bowlers come and go. Maybe Ben Sears or Fisher but they're injured more than they play so expecting 10+ years from them is a lot to ask for.

Flem274*

123/5
We have enough talented bowlers long term. The issue is we are determined to select guys who aren't even the star for their province.

When was the last time Kuggs, Macewell and Tickner were the main man? Doug Bracewell and Brett Randell (at ND) were Toyota Corollas but at least they're effective. Nathan Smith is the main guy at Welly but obv injured atm.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There are a few younger guys around the traps like Sheat, Smith, O'Rourke and Foulkes. Hard to know which out of them will make the cut

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Absolute cannon fodder 'attack' will be put out by the Black Caps. Apparently 'contracted players' are the be-all-and-end-all because they are always available....except on the occassions when they get time off to do their own thing! The situation is becoming a farce; the last time the BC's rolled up to Bay Oval they got dorked by Bangladesh....and the side they are putting out tomorrow looks substantially weaker than that one. Is Stead improving the side(?) No, they are going downhill fast. And still people like Stead and Larsen get to cling to their roles like limpets, on the watch of the similarly limpet-like David White. In Australia they were bold enough to punt winning coach Langer to freshen things up, here we are so conservative that we dither away and end up sliding back into the mediocrity we have been known for in the past.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Total joke NZC knowing they didn't even ask Boult if he was available. First time in my life part of me actually wants us to lose just to spite these imbecile selectors.

**** off NZC

G. S. Kohli

Good weather for next 4 Day than on Feb 16.

Kane Williamson needs 39 runs to overhaul Ross Taylor's tally of 7683 runs to become New Zealand's leading run-scorer in Test cricket.

- This is the first time Ben Stokes will be captaining in the country of his birth.

- This is the fourth series between these sides since the inception of the WTC. Three of those, including this one, haven't counted for WTC points.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
To me, with the hardship this side is facing now, Boult should stand up and make himself available.

This side made him who he is. It allowed him to make the millions, to travel the world, to cut his contract this year and make more + be at home...and now he is home, there's a Test down the road, and he should play in it. He'll want to play the World Cup later this year, so maybe it's only fair that he stumps up for a week and plays when we're in desperate need.

Golden opportunity for a player to show his loyalty.
Look at this tough guy...such a brave, hardline stance - surely he'd walk right up to Boult if given the chance and demand he drop everything immediately and report to serve his country.

Or...it could happen where he basically bumps into him at a Tauranga shopping mall today, gets all flummoxed about seeing the great left armer in the flesh, stares a bit, then slinks off without saying anything.

What a hero our man Steve is.