• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in NZ 2023

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Will Young looked out of place in that nz xi game. Had a look at ball by ball and he was really troubled through out the inning both vs pace and spin. I'm thinking it could be mental. Probably playing to prove management wrong or getting a bit desperate. This is what happens when you're in and out with team management lacking faith.

Kyle is likely out of the series too, very disappointing. Highly unlikely Boult will want to play unless Kane/Southee can convince him otherwise.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yikes. You’d think they’d have to call in Boult given the absence of Jamieson and potentially Henry too.

Flem274*

123/5
Time to pick Ferguson?
but that might temporarily get in the way of our suicide mission to go from WTC 2021 to dead last.

heads should roll if macewell and tickner bowl in a test together. it's not their fault and i don't like sounding so mean but these guys aren't the best players for their own provinces yet they're considered test bowlers.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Crushing blow for big Jamo, sad for him, and yes we suddenly look very slim on the pace bowling front.

Am I the only one doubting we'll get much more than 3 days cricket at best in the 1st Test with Cyclone Gabrielle moving fairly slowly & covering such an enormous area?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yikes. You’d think they’d have to call in Boult given the absence of Jamieson and potentially Henry too.
As they say in the article, he lives under 1km down the road from Bay Oval :-) Brian Lochore was in retirement in Eketahuna and got a call on a Friday to play for the injury hit All Blacks the following day at Athletic Park against the '71 Lions. He left a note on the fridge: "Gone to Wellington, playing in the Test tomorrow".

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Crushing blow for big Jamo, sad for him, and yes we suddenly look very slim on the pace bowling front.

Am I the only one doubting we'll get much more than 3 days cricket at best in the 1st Test with Cyclone Gabrielle moving fairly slowly & covering such an enormous area?
Tauranga isn’t forecast to get hit nearly as badly as Coromandel and Northland. Very heavy rain tonight, but it is supposed to ease off by morning and there should only be a few scattered showers tomorrow, before a hot sunny day on Wednesday. The ground should be in reasonable condition.

Having said that, the forecast for the match itself looks pretty lousy. Rain developing in the afternoon on Thursday - which is of course a bit of a problem given that the match doesn’t start until 2, and then showers forecast for days 2 and 4. Will be tough work getting a result you’d expect.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Eesh, I would've thought those runs in the UAE years ago would've dragged his away average a bit higher, but no.

21.66 is appalling.

Edit: turns out the author did a sneaky stats manipulation to exclude neutral venues ie. UAE. With that included he has 879 runs at 26.63 away, which is still pretty bad.
I don't think it's a stats manipulation so much as just forgetting that the UAE matches are neutral. Cricinfo has his away average as the article states.

26.63 is about the career average of an England opener recently

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah Nicholls has played some frankly impressive innings at home against good sides in challenging situations but aside from one series winning tour in the UAE he has been a passenger overseas.

You'd think watching him bat on the front foot he'd be the opposite if anything. Strange player, but despite his likely failure this week a 50 test career where he's averaged 40 for much of it and 48 at home is a positive contribution to the team. I've always had a soft spot for him ever since CW wanted his blood for being an ugly bat to watch but I think we'll view his career kindly in 10-20 years. He's an NZ 2003 player in 2023.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anyway England's batting average in day/night tests is 20.15 so I expect the rain knocking out a few sessions is unlikely to be an issue

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
but that might temporarily get in the way of our suicide mission to go from WTC 2021 to dead last.

heads should roll if macewell and tickner bowl in a test together. it's not their fault and i don't like sounding so mean but these guys aren't the best players for their own provinces yet they're considered test bowlers.
You have Ben Sears too.

Southee
Ferguson
Sears
Wagner
is a good attack

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
As they say in the article, he lives under 1km down the road from Bay Oval :-) Brian Lochore was in retirement in Eketahuna and got a call on a Friday to play for the injury hit All Blacks the following day at Athletic Park against the '71 Lions. He left a note on the fridge: "Gone to Wellington, playing in the Test tomorrow".
Let's see if Stead has any clout at all. Last tour to UK, stead ruled him out but then boult made the side despite short of match practice.

This is what happens when you don't build players by giving them opportunities When possible but our management went for short term gains and we're where we are right now.