• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Adelaide and Brisbane were dry, slow and low bouncing? That'll be news to the guys who were 36 all out and Pujara who copped like 50 blows to the body.
Brisbane was well flat by its standards. Tests are usually played there in November when it's a lot greener. It doesn't matter anyway because Aus should have put the series away by then but hadn't, and any comparative flatness in the wicket was more than compensated by the players India had out by the time the test rolled around. One of the great test victories.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adelaide and Brisbane were dry, slow and low bouncing? That'll be news to the guys who were 36 all out and Pujara who copped like 50 blows to the body.
The Brisbane pitch on the last tour was the driest, slowest and deadest I've seen easily. Adelaide was slower than the previous DN matches there. An awkward-paced surface to bat but not as quick as the SA and NZ pitches. The idea that Australia deliberately prepares pitches to nullify India's strengths simply is not true.

Sunil1z

International Regular
The Brisbane pitch on the last tour was the driest, slowest and deadest I've seen easily. Adelaide was slower than the previous DN matches there. An awkward-paced surface to bat but not as quick as the SA and NZ pitches. The idea that Australia deliberately prepares pitches to nullify India's strengths simply is not true.
Or maybe wickets were dry and slow because Australian batsmen are afraid of Bumrah ?

In case you forgot , Aus didn’t score 200 even once in 1st 2 Tests in 2020/21 .
Imagine Bumrah doing a Ambrose spell (7/1) at Gabba against fragile Aussie batting line up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah for sure. Id on't really rate him either, but if you pick a bloke in your squad after how he bowled in Sydney then must do so because you think he can do a job on tour. To bring someone else in over the top of him when he hasn't even played a game is both an admission you've got it wrong as selectors and just about as terrible player management as you could dream of.
I'm guessing he's sending down absolute pies in the nets too.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Wow, that Aus performancr was more depressing than my dating life. I don't think I have seen another match recently where the batsmen appeared to be so clueless how to bat. Malcolm Shami scored 37 which was bettered by only one Aus batter in the whole match.

And what was that mockery of cricket batting by Carey? How many sweeps did Jadeja and Axar deploy? How many did Shami play? As to the other batsmen, the less said, the better. Even Smith struggled, despite the vignettes he produced here and there.

I think Aus basically lost this match in their minds the moment that pitch photo circulated. If it was leaked deliberately then that's one of the most wickedly brilliant mindgames deployed ever. The whole brouhaha around it, the panic measures which resulted in their best in form batsman being dropped, Carey's tail ender stuff with blind seeping and reverse sweeping everything all betrayed that thought process. Jadeja and Axar played then the two offies like a fiddle.

For me, however the worst performer was Lyon. Not just that he was outbowled by a rookie, he just couldn't make any impression even with two left handed batsmen batting in tandem. Yes there might have been a ball here or there but overall he was treated with disdain by the Indians. Lyon now has ten wickets @ 62.20 and an eye watering strike rate of 141.6 vs India since BGT 20-21 (5 matches, 8 innings). And the way he imploded under pressure in the last two games (Gabba and now this one) suggests.that.he is over the hill. The Murphy chap is a very good impression of his younger self and at the moment a better replacement. I can't see any logical explanation for not playing Agar and Murphy in the next match.

Sunil1z

International Regular
No, this is just your idiotic fantasy. It was known Bumrah was out before the Brisbane pitch was completed.
News of Bumrah not playing Gabba Test came on 12th Jan

Gabba Test started on 15 th Jan .
I doubt you can change the nature of pitch in 4 days . My fantasy is more correct .
After 2nd Test Aussie curators were asked to make the pitch flat because of fragile Aussie batting line up .

Burgey

Do you have any evidence for that assertion sunilz, or is it just your supposition here?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
News of Bumrah not playing Gabba Test came on 12th Jan

Gabba Test started on 15 th Jan .
I doubt you can change the nature of pitch in 4 days . My fantasy is more correct .
After 2nd Test Aussie curators were asked to make the pitch flat because of fragile Aussie batting line up .
You can certainly make the decision to cut or not cut the grass and water or not water the pitch in that time. There is no reason to make pitches to order against a player with series average of 29 with one four-for. Ashwin took a four-for at Adelaide and the remaining pitches were slower and drier.

Seriously mate, your parochialism leads to some really stupid opinions from you.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, that Aus performancr was more depressing than my dating life. I don't think I have seen another match recently where the batsmen appeared to be so clueless how to bat. Malcolm Shami scored 37 which was bettered by only one Aus batter in the whole match.

And what was that mockery of cricket batting by Carey? How many sweeps did Jadeja and Axar deploy? How many did Shami play? As to the other batsmen, the less said, the better. Even Smith struggled, despite the vignettes he produced here and there.

I think Aus basically lost this match in their minds the moment that pitch photo circulated. If it was leaked deliberately then that's one of the most wickedly brilliant mindgames deployed ever. The whole brouhaha around it, the panic measures which resulted in their best in form batsman being dropped, Carey's tail ender stuff with blind seeping and reverse sweeping everything all betrayed that thought process. Jadeja and Axar played then the two offies like a fiddle.

For me, however the worst performer was Lyon. Not just that he was outbowled by a rookie, he just couldn't make any impression even with two left handed batsmen batting in tandem. Yes there might have been a ball here or there but overall he was treated with disdain by the Indians. Lyon now has ten wickets @ 62.20 and an eye watering strike rate of 141.6 vs India since BGT 20-21 (5 matches, 8 innings). And the way he imploded under pressure in the last two games (Gabba and now this one) suggests.that.he is over the hill. The Murphy chap is a very good impression of his younger self and at the moment a better replacement. I can't see any logical explanation for not playing Agar and Murphy in the next match.
I thought you were banned

Shame to see that isn't the case in all honesty

Sunil1z

International Regular
Do you have any evidence for that assertion sunilz, or is it just you're supposition here?
It is a normal thing to do tbh . India would have done the same . There was huge outcry when Australia lost MCG test and didn’t cross 200 even once in 1st 2 Test .So CA might have instructed to make the pitch flat . I mean BCCI would have also done the same .

Why would you produce quick wickets when your batsmen are struggling?

Burgey

So it's supposition then.

The Gabba decks are drier in mid-summer than they are in November, which has been the case since first class cricket has been played there. You barely get a visiting Shield score above 150 there in the early season, but once the red neck mouth breathers have a month or two of proper summer up there it behaves a bit better. It's just how it is. It's largely the case with pitches everywhere here as the summer wears on.

Sunil1z

International Regular
You can certainly make the decision to cut or not cut the grass and water or not water the pitch in that time. There is no reason to make pitches to order against a player with series average of 29 with one four-for. Ashwin took a four-for at Adelaide and the remaining pitches were slower and drier.

Seriously mate, your parochialism leads to some really stupid opinions from you.
I have learnt new thing today . You judge a bowler by their series average and not overall career average . You are extremely deluded if you think Aus would even dare to produce quick wickets against Indian attack considering their batting line up didn’t cross 200 even once in 1st 2 Tests .

Burgey

Lol there's literally no evidence of that at all. You're just making it up sunilz.

The pitches have their characteristics - Brisbane is usually greenish and fast, Perth is fast and bouncy, Adelaide under lights does more than it used to when it was just a road, Melbourne is like the city itself - low and boring, and Sydney has been sadly flat as a pancake for a decade or more now too. These characteristics aren't generally prone to changing a great deal series to series, barring something being under done due to weather.

I mean Aus just dished up a ****ing terrible green top in Brisbane against a four man pace attack with a collective average in the low 20s for the opening test of the SA series. If they were worried about Bumrah then you'd think they would have had a word about Rabada, Ngidi, Jansen and Nortje

Last edited: