• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
They bowl with side spin

Lyon & Agar bowl with over spin

Kuhnemann is a way better option than both in Indian conditions than either

Selectors obviously don’t have Foxtel
Yeah, exactly. That's articulated better. The Agar selection is one of the worst in living memory. You know the conditions you're going to face. Is Agar the 3rd best spinner in Australia? No, he isn't. Is he an effective FC bowler? No, he isn't (has he even been playing in that format?) Did he threaten at all at the SCG last month? No, he didn't. Oh, but he might score a 30 for us. So dire.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will Australia do the usual thing of dropping Khawaja after the batting fails? Done it so often in the past you almost expect it to happen.

Being serious Warner has been woeful away from home for years and no way should Head have been dropped. Plenty of issues to stop a 4-0 series defeat here.

Burgey

I am still waiting for the day when there is some controversy regarding gates and the like, so i can say gate-gate :whistling
I think we had a confected outrage about a gate on some public building over here a few years ago which got that name :laugh:

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
But Australia have two very similar bowlers. Murphy seemed to flat out out-bowl Lyon with the ability to mix up his pace and varying between turn and ones that skid on more...but in essence it's fairly similar. You can play Agar but he wouldn't even be on tour if he couldn't bat. If it's turning, India become nuclear, and Australia become slightly more dangerous but it's still India by a country mile.
Agree with this. But hopefully they can use the extra time to prepare for the next game. Surely they can't start bowling with a lot of side-spin or introduce variations like the Indian spinners, but if these three spinners can keep it tight and use the natural variation available on rank turners, the Indian batters will also find it difficult.

Like I said earlier, the major issue with touring spinners is that they give away way too many freebies, which makes a huge difference in low scoring games. You rarely see the Indian spinners bowling loose stuff. Todd Murphy has picked 7 wickets, but he too has bowled quite a few innocuous deliveries in the game.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
TOTAB again. “You can’t make consistent test match runs playing sweeps and reverse sweeps every ball. It’s a productive shot for him but you have to mix it up.”
Kerry O'Keefe made similar comments before play on Day 2 about his 1st innings effort.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd go :

1.Devon Conway
2.Joe Root
3.Steven Smith
4.Babar Azam
5.Harry Brook
6.Ben Stokes (C)
7.Dinesh Chandimal (WK)
8.Shakib AL Hasan
9.Simon Harmer
10.Ollie Robinson
11.Shaheen Afridi
Nice, I'd pick Harmer as horses for courses too.

1. Conway 2. Imam 3. Root 4. Smith 5. Williamson 6. Azam 7. Chandimal 8. Shakib 9. Harmer 10. Rashid Khan 11. Cummins

Burgey

Will Australia do the usual thing of dropping Khawaja after the batting fails? Done it so often in the past you almost expect it to happen.

Being serious Warner has been woeful away from home for years and no way should Head have been dropped. Plenty of issues to stop a 4-0 series defeat here.
Warner and Renshaw should both go tbh. It’s not that they failed per se, more that Warner was more of the same and Renshaw displayed the same technical issues he had years ago re doing the 89 Graham Gooch and playing around his front pad.

I think Green will play even if just as a batsman next game. Ideally I would have Head open to start against the quicks, play Green at six for Renshaw, Carey seven, Agar eight, then Cummins, Murphy and Lyon (assuming Green can bowl).

I really don’t rate Agar but they need someone spinning it the other way to the two offies.

Spark

Global Moderator
I seriously wonder at this point if they're worried about team camp atmosphere if they drop Warner, because it just seems insane to keep picking him

R!TTER

State Regular
Agree with this. But hopefully they can use the extra time to prepare for the next game. Surely they can't start bowling with a lot of side-spin or introduce variations like the Indian spinners, but if these three spinners can keep it tight and use the natural variation available on rank turners, the Indian batters will also find it difficult.

Like I said earlier, the major issue with touring spinners is that they give away way too many freebies, which makes a huge difference in low scoring games. You rarely see the Indian spinners bowling loose stuff. Todd Murphy has picked 7 wickets, but he too has bowled quite a few innocuous deliveries in the game.
Kotla's usually flat but also slow, you need more pace there. Unless it's a really dry pitch they will need 3 pacers with Green possibly the third one.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

They give away freebies because they’re not test quality bowlers

Said it before, the last time Australia won in India we simply picked our best attack

Spark

Global Moderator
They give away freebies because they’re not test quality bowlers

Said it before, the last time Australia won in India we simply picked our best attack
Yeah man exactly what we need is more quick bowlers. Maybe they'd have taken 8 wickets in the game out of 30 instead of 7

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What was the logic behind dropping Head and playing Renshaw? I mean, I've just said Agar being in the squad was the dumbest selection move in years, but picking a guy who'd played 2 Tests in 5 years and scored 7 runs in those, over a guy in rampant Test form...even if he is perceived to play spin OK...jeepers.

Spark

Global Moderator
What was the logic behind dropping Head and playing Renshaw? I mean, I've just said Agar being in the squad was the dumbest selection move in years, but picking a guy who'd played 2 Tests in 5 years and scored 7 runs in those, over a guy in rampant Test form...even if he is perceived to play spin OK...jeepers.
The logic I guess was that Renshaw has looked okay in the past and Head looked like a tailender last year in the subcontinent.

The logic for dropping him made sense, but not while also keeping Warner.