• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting was the Captain and averaging 59 ? Will you drop him ?
Is O’ Keefe in the current Aussie squad?
Specifically in Indian conditions? I mean Ponting's struggles in India before the end of his career were kind of infamous.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
'08 was weirdly one of his better series there, even though he'd started his decline.

Spark

Global Moderator
'08 was weirdly one of his better series there, even though he'd started his decline.
Oh yeah but alas that and the brief 2010 series were only enough to raise his record from "cute little bunny rabbit" to merely "awful".

OverratedSanity

Didn't do much apart from one ton did he? He was somehow really good in 2010 when he was struggling basically everywhere else, odd tstl.

Edit: Bhajji was gone which might have helped

TheJediBrah

Not so weird when you consider that he didn't play in India during his absolute peak. He missed the 2004 series with injury.

Of all the series he played there 2008 was the one you'd expect to be his best tbh

TheJediBrah

As bad as Warne's record in India is, if you give me Warne and Lyon as two options and ask to select one, will always go with Warne every day of the week.
Warne isn't an option in either 2008 or 2023. Although IIRC he was winning the IPL in the former year

Burgey

Didn't do much apart from one ton did he? He was somehow really good in 2010 when he was struggling basically everywhere else, odd tstl.

Got 80 odd in another dig as well. Probably his second best series there, which doesn't say much. He made 50 odd in nearly every dig on his last tour iirc, albeit only a two test series.

Spark

Global Moderator

IIRC that period in 2010 was when he was making 50s still but never converting any of them. It took the generalised stinkiness of the 2012/13 Indian bowling attack for him to break out of that, if only briefly.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Dude Johnson was terrible a lot of the time

Clark is the only 1 of that 2008 team that would have a shot at making the current one on a regular basis and he's not suited at all to India

O'Keefe wasn't around in 2008
Johnson or Starc ?
Considering that Hazlewood isn’t preferred in Asian conditions.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Got 80 odd in another dig as well. Probably his second best series there, which doesn't say much. He made 50 odd in nearly every dig on his last tour iirc.
The 2011 series in Australia when everyone said he was all but retired but he just thrashed the Indian bowling to an average of 100 plus still boggles the mind.

OverratedSanity

Honestly I know they were pretty flat but those 2010 pitches are still the archetype for what I expect the average Indian deck to look like tbh. Those were two good games.
Yeah those 2010 pitches atleast wore as the match went on which made results likely.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The thread is approaching 50 pages with the test series having not even started. Hopefully, it is a closely contested and exciting series living up to the billing.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah those 2010 pitches atleast wore as the match went on which made results likely.
Yeah in both instances Aus put up a decent first innings score and was well in the game halfway through. It was the third innings that was killer (well... and Laxman, amongst other things)

Burgey

Yeah that 2011-12 was a real last hurrah for Ponting. TBH India's attack that series was lamentable to put it kindly, save for my man Nostrils Yadav who took 5 fer in Perth.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Yeah that 2011-12 was a real last hurrah for Ponting. TBH India's attack that series was lamentable to put it kindly, save for my man Nostrils Yadav who took 5 fer in Perth.
Keep in mind India needed only 280 in 4th innings in 1st Test at MCG in 11/12 which is much less than what they needed at SCG or Gabba in 20/21 . More than bowlers , I would blame batsmen for not putting up fight .

Why would bowlers give their 100% when batsmen are consistently not putting up fight ?