• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are we not going to have a sub-forum for the BG series while we will most probably have one for the Ashes later?
Ashes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BG Series from an Aus pov tbh

Edit: no harm in a subforum though. Would keep a lot of the English riff raff out.

Last edited:

Burgey

I do think Agar will be much more useful in this series than what is expected of him. Indian batsmen, especially Kohli, are vulnerable to his type of left arm spin.

Also, even the Indian bowlers are vulnerable to good number 7 and 8 batsmen while they could potentially take out the top order much more easily.
Yeah I wonder whether preparing really spinny decks would actually make him a factor, whereas if they're flattish then he'll have very very limited impact.

And Renshaw >>>>>>>> Green as a batsman alone on any surface really. Green's propensity to get ridiculously bogged down makes him a walking wicket for India's spinners. Different story if he's bowling, because imo his bowling is genuinely test class these days.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I wonder whether preparing really spinny decks would actually make him a factor, whereas if they're flattish then he'll have very very limited impact.

And Renshaw >>>>>>>> Green as a batsman alone on any surface really. Green's propensity to get ridiculously bogged down makes him a walking wicket for India's spinners. Different story if he's bowling, because imo his bowling is genuinely test class these days.
Green will be a walking LBW wicket. Just planting that front foot down

Although, it looks like hes been working on his sweeping

the big bambino

International Captain
I can understand why they think that, in principle (which is enough to get you a 2nd or 3rd backup quick option spot tbf), they think express pace is a more promising option on dry, low pitches than a back-of-the-length fast-medium bowler in Neser tbf. He's not especially tall, which might actually be an asset in these conditions - skid the ball through at the stumps; Umesh Yadav has become quite a menace in these conditions based on that.
That's true and I also get Gob's comment about air speed. It's just that I'm not even hearing Morris as an option, unless one more goes down. I'm just thinking Kasprowicz when I see Neser. Kasper was taller but bowled around the same speed and swung it. His record in India doesn't look great but that is absent the circumstances he bowled in. Plus Neser has the control to bowl with the keeper up which may prove a useful counter to certain batting techniques.

I'm not liking an attack that goes Cummins, Boland, Lyon then stares into a dark pit after that. If Green can't bowl and his batting is iffy for India then having 3 pacemen and 2 spinners with Neser, Agar and Cummins able batsmen, would have been a possible alternative.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you could play less lefties to negate Ashwin but they will also likely to play twice the amount of left arm spin
Jadeja is EXCELLENT against left handers too! (Ashwin's record is more lopsided ).

Plus left handers tend to have to deal with more rough outside their off stump... bringing both Jadeja and Axar into play!

I would say it is perhaps better to have a more even distribution as opposed to 5 + 2. So I would go with Green.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I do think Agar will be much more useful in this series than what is expected of him. Indian batsmen, especially Kohli, are vulnerable to his type of left arm spin.

Also, even the Indian bowlers are vulnerable to good number 7 and 8 batsmen while they could potentially take out the top order much more easily.
Nah better to play proper bowlers.

Agar's FC record is terrible.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's true and I also get Gob's comment about air speed. It's just that I'm not even hearing Morris as an option, unless one more goes down. I'm just thinking Kasprowicz when I see Neser. Kasper was taller but bowled around the same speed and swung it. His record in India doesn't look great but that is absent the circumstances he bowled in. Plus Neser has the control to bowl with the keeper up which may prove a useful counter to certain batting techniques.

I'm not liking an attack that goes Cummins, Boland, Lyon then stares into a dark pit after that. If Green can't bowl and his batting is iffy for India then having 3 pacemen and 2 spinners with Neser, Agar and Cummins able batsmen, would have been a possible alternative.
I mean yeah but I'm not sure there's a world in which having two of your principal pacers missing is ideal in any circumstance - though given that Hazlewood can barely get on the park these days, I'm not sure if he counts as that any more. Obviously we're running short on depth but that's the cards that have been dealt - for both sides.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Very much think the concern with Morris is not penetration but control. While definitely improved in that respect compared to 12-18 months ago, I still remain unconvinced that he is the sort of bowler who can be relied upon to chug away and keep things in check run rate wise, where as Boland is (especially domestically) renowned for doing exactly that

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Very much think the concern with Morris is not penetration but control. While definitely improved in that respect compared to 12-18 months ago, I still remain unconvinced that he is the sort of bowler who can be relied upon to chug away and keep things in check run rate wise, where as Boland is (especially domestically) renowned for doing exactly that
I don't think Morris as part of a four man attack should really be considered at all. If Green isn't fully fit to bowl it's just a non-starter. I'd consider him if Green was good to go though.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ashes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BG Series from an Aus pov tbh

Edit: no harm in a subforum though. Would keep a lot of the English riff raff out.

Socerer 01

International Captain
hard to take any comment involving Indian cricket from others seriously because of how much pandering they do usually

Shady Slim

International Coach
i'm glad to see some talking up of BIG NES, agree that you don't want to risk morris as one of your only three pacers; need green to be fit and on all cylinders if you're to play morris. and while i don't really think neser or boland will be that penetrative i still think they'll do better than agar should, but we don't need any more "shady slim doesn't rate agar" posts because they're a touch boring at this point...

trundler

Will gladly take a guy like Neser or Yadav to open the bowling as a Pakistani fan ATM.

Last edited:

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yadav is a gun at home

with all the focus on how Australia are going to counter the spin trio I wouldn’t be surprised if our pacers ended up being a big factor instead