• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Viv Richards

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
This is verrrrry raw dog stats but to give a general picture on output vs expected output of the average player (aggregate of 1-7 batsmen through each career).

Viv 50.23 expected average 35.83 difference 14.4
Smith 60.89 expected average 36.33 difference 24.56
Ponting 51.85 expected average 37.67 difference 14.18
Mahela 49.84 expected average 37.83 difference 12.01

Bowlers were more dominant through Viv's career, but Smith is well clear of everyone on that list despite playing having the second lowest expectation of performance.

ataraxia

International Coach
Definitely a good measure, but should be multiplicative rather than additive – and in looking at it people should adjust for era competitiveness meaning that theoretically it was easier to average a certain amount above the norm in Viv's era compared to Smith's.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This is verrrrry raw dog stats but to give a general picture on output vs expected output of the average player (aggregate of 1-7 batsmen through each career).

Viv 50.23 expected average 35.83 difference 14.4
Smith 60.89 expected average 36.33 difference 24.56
Ponting 51.85 expected average 37.67 difference 14.18
Mahela 49.84 expected average 37.83 difference 12.01

Bowlers were more dominant through Viv's career, but Smith is well clear of everyone on that list despite playing having the second lowest expectation of performance.
No pressure at all, but if you could just go ahead and knock this up for every batsman in history that would be just super. Thanks.

Flem274*

123/5
Definitely a good measure, but should be multiplicative rather than additive – and in looking at it people should adjust for era competitiveness meaning that theoretically it was easier to average a certain amount above the norm in Viv's era compared to Smith's.
Oh for sure. Expected average score is something I'm working on for MVP rankings atm (starting with bowlers) and I've already factored in more than just the raw gap.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flem is that taking into account each game they played, like the scores of other players in that game etc. or is it just based purely on the period of time they played?

Flem274*

123/5
Flem is that taking into account each game they played, like the scores of other players in that game etc. or is it just based purely on the period of time they played?
The numbers above? Just entire period they played for everyone worldwide. The mvp thing I'm doing takes into account away average, years averaging better than x, etc.

As I said, it was quick and dirty but painted the broad picture. A proper analysis would boost both Smith, Viv and probably early Ponting + even Mahela.

kyear2

International Coach
I have one 5 and the other 6, not much in it, still have the master blaster ahead though.

Watched some of his WSC innings recently, he truly was insanely talented.