• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought he was in doubt but not ruled out. Big loss if he isn’t there. He’s been in career best form in tests the past 12 months imo

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I think he is basically ruled out and agree he has been in great form. I dunno if that will sustain in India though esp. coming off an injury but if he was not injured, he was definitely a big threat. Guess he still is, but there is a bit more doubt now.

Daemon

I think the selectors use the following approach for players from different tracks -

LO success
- Sky, Bumrah, Pant, etc
- They hang around the team and play enough for selectors and the captain to gauge if they can make the jump to Tests

Domestic Success
- Has to be sustained
- Gets you into A teams
- A team performance then gets you into either LO cricket (Mukesh Kumar) or into Test squads

Sarfaraz is lacking the last one. It’s quite harsh in his case imho given the small sample size.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the selectors use the following approach for players from different tracks -

LO success
- Sky, Bumrah, Pant, etc
- They hang around the team and play enough for selectors and the captain to gauge if they can make the jump to Tests

Domestic Success
- Has to be sustained
- Gets you into A teams
- A team performance then gets you into either LO cricket (Mukesh Kumar) or into Test squads

Sarfaraz is lacking the last one. It’s quite harsh in his case imho given the small sample size.
Also, Sarfaraz is only 25. I am sure he will get his test chance within this year. The selectors probably do not want to blood a newbie in such a high profile series.

I hope he gets selected for the away tests vs the windies in August. The next test series after that is only in 2024 versus SA away. Hopefully Pant is also back by then.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't speak for anyone else, but I think there is a huge difference between being good enough skills wise and being ready mentally. That's a big part of why I so deeply loathe the Greg Chappell youth über alles selection mindset, think throwing a young and inexperienced at FC level player in before their time is more likely to ruin them than anything. No substitute for actually having a decent body of work behind you at the domestic level

But none of what I said above really applies to Sarfaraz, who does have a truly excellent domestic record over a reasonable timeframe, still youngish but not a foetus by any means

Spark

Global Moderator
Can't speak for anyone else, but I think there is a huge difference between being good enough skills wise and being ready mentally. That's a big part of why I so deeply loathe the Greg Chappell youth über alles selection mindset, think throwing a young and inexperienced at FC level player in before their time is more likely to ruin them than anything. No substitute for actually having a decent body of work behind you at the domestic level

But none of what I said above really applies to Sarfaraz, who does have a truly excellent domestic record over a reasonable timeframe, still youngish but not a foetus by any means
Right but there's a world of difference between picking the talented youngster who hasn't really done anything at FC level because you think the early exposure will help somehow and not picking the 25yo putting up Bradman numbers because the occasion is too big for them or something like that. Just shows that you don't really rate them.

Daemon

Yep. My suspicion is the powers have had some kind of exposure to him (specifically, watching him in person) in the IPL or A cricket and just don’t rate him. Maybe he looks crap.

But then I’d point to our best Test batsman who often looks village - Pant.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Right but there's a world of difference between picking the talented youngster who hasn't really done anything at FC level because you think the early exposure will help somehow and not picking the 25yo putting up Bradman numbers because the occasion is too big for them or something like that. Just shows that you don't really rate them.
Yeah no agruments there. Was more responding to the general point with my initial post, as opposed to this specific example of Sarfaraz where I agree with you completely, the not experienced enough argument doesn't wash at all in his case

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep. My suspicion is the powers have had some kind of exposure to him (specifically, watching him in person) in the IPL or A cricket and just don’t rate him. Maybe he looks crap.

But then I’d point to our best Test batsman who often looks village - Pant.
I don't know enough about Indian selection culture to say anything with confidence, which is literally the only reason why I'm not saying I'm absolutely convinced that his appearance is a major factor in his non-selection. As in, his... roundness... is a bit of a throwback in today's highly athletic era.

Lucky break for Aus if so.