• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Viv Richards

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
All I’m doing is responding to your post, they performed similarly in series against each other during Viv’s peak, and the Windies definitely had superior bowling.
When WI had superior bowling in 79/80, Chappell averaged 45. His big runs were scored in 76 against only Roberts and a raw Holding.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
Yeah this is why I feel uncomfy giving Smith the title as the best since Bradman given that I don't feel he has been as tested as I would have liked.

I would be interested to see how McGrath would work out someone with Smith's technique. Not really weak outside off.
Would love to see how Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock, Courtney Walsh and Curtly Ambrose - how they would bowl to Smith. Would be some great battles.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Viv averaged slightly more but Chappell did very well also.
Those numbers are wrong - Richards averaged 55.69 during WSC Supertests, slightly less than Chappell. Wikipedia is quoting an incorrectly calculated number from a cricinfo article.

You can even see on the table that Wikipedia shows - 1281 runs from 25 innings with two not-outs. The 58.23 averaged listed there would require three not-outs. Bafflingly, they got their sums wrong.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Interestingly (though not relevant to this comparison), Cricket Archive only credit Viv with 1,275 runs in WSC SuperTests rather than the traditionally accepted total of 1,281.

The reason for this I have found is a discrepancy in sources between the dismissals of Richards and Jim Allen in the second innings of the Sydney SuperTest against WSC Australia in January 1979. Cricinfo records Richards being bowled by Lillee for 10, with Allen caught by Greg Chappell off Lillee's bowling for 4. Cricket Archive, however, has those two scores and dismissals the other way around.

Howstat confuses things further by going somewhere in between - recording Richards as scoring 10 and Allen scoring 4 the same as Cricinfo, but that both men were bowled Lillee!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
PEWS has previously said he doesn't like to rate players too highly while they are still playing, or words to that effect, so it might be something like that.

Coronis

International Coach
CW ranked Richards at #5, Hutton at #7, Smith at #10 not that long ago.

PEWS has previously said he doesn't like to rate players too highly while they are still playing, or words to that effect, so it might be something like that.
Probably something in the back of peoples minds for this exercise too, and I do think it is a bit hard to rate current players against players with completed careers.