• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Viv Richards

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Hate watching Smith bat. No real flow, just jerky.

He feels like a batsman who has found a cheat code to score runs rather than rely on skill.
He’s the dude that plays Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter crouching down and doing leg kicks. Opponents can’t do a thing. It’s very effective, but ugly.

Coronis

International Coach
I'm sure he will and bloody Labushchagne too

It's about time Smith picked up an injury and missed an Ashes series.

Whilst we're talking about Aussie's getting injured, your pace bowlers never miss an Ashes either - it's bloody annoying.

Our bowlers - bar Jimmy, have always got stress fractures etc. About time Cummings got crocked as well as Smith
Nah he’ll never get injured now, gotta make up for his lost ban time.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Viv Richards' drubbing in this poll is genuinely surprising. Would have thought there will be more votes for the legendary swagger.

Gob

International Coach
Viv Richards' drubbing in this poll is genuinely surprising. Would have thought there will be more votes for the legendary swagger.
Yeah was not expecting such a one sided poll before opening the thread

shortpitched713

International Captain
Yeah was not expecting such a one sided poll before opening the thread
You have to take these polls with a large grain of salt. See below, for a big part of reasoning:

I've cracked the code actually. Here's all you have to do, to adjust your opinions for players to be higher or lower than what their average indicates, if you want to conform to CW Cricket Chat concensus.

Tier 1
Australia
India
England

Tier 2
West Indies
New Zealand
Pakistan

Tier 3
South Africa
Sri Lanka

If you know which of these major cricketing countries the player is from, you can adjust them by tier value. Always adjust tier 1 averages favorably, and tier 3 averages unfavorably. This is because Tier 1 countries have the most deluded fan support on this site, who insist their countries players experienced some special circumstance or other to elevate the significance of their positive performance and mitigate the negative performance, and will argue you to the tooth to. It is useless to argue against such a deluge, regardless of the existence of facts or evidence supporting your negative argument against any such player.

Tier 2 countries have just about enough support on the forum, or value attributed to undeniable historical achievement, that you can't get away with lowering their averages, but at the same time were rivals to Tier 1 countries so you can't increase their averages either, so don't do either.

Tier 3 countries are from countries who were both in recent history very tough opponents and rivals of tier 1 countries, and also have the least amount of support on this forum. For this reason just make up whatever spurious arguments you can to bash their players and lower/increase their averages unfavorably. No one's going to challenge you on those arguments anyway, so eventually your takes will become part of the consensus.

With this simple guide, you too can help build "historical consensus" on the Cricket Web Cricket Chat forum. Have fun! And excuse me while I vomit somewhere...

shortpitched713

International Captain
I might be exaggerating a bit, but if nothing else I've been around the block around CW for a bit. The effect I'm mentioning is real, and even to an extent understandable, but meh.

If you repeat this poll with Sachin or Hutton vs Smith I don't think you're getting nearly as big of a landslide for Smith, if at all.

Last edited:

shortpitched713

International Captain
That's quite clearly because Sachin and Hutton are better than Viv.
Dang fam, why you have to do me dirty like that.

Anyway, I picked a couple names out a hat I thought were comparable. To me, I'm one of those annoying people at parties who points out biases and ****, because I don't care.

Like, if one own favorite player were in the poll, one might say something like "can't compare a retired player to one currently playing", but then if it's just a a legend from a country you don't support, then one has no problem putting the vote in for Smith. Little things like that, innit.

Anyway, it's late. Have fun guys.

subshakerz

International Coach
Peak Viv easily beats peak Smith for me.

Averaging 70 plus facing Lillee, Thomson, Imran, Snow, peak Botham, and a host of quality spinners, and top scoring in WSC, is a higher peak than Smith fattening his record mainly on soft tracks at home.

Smith's insane appetite of runs against medium and poor attacks means he has a much better overall record but to me the difference between them is not huge and frankly an unlikely slump in form can take Smith below Viv overall as well.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
You have to take these polls with a large grain of salt. See below, for a big part of reasoning:
LoL that post is gold. The most egregious thing I have seen is adjusting everyone's Ashes record favourably. Everyone involved in Ashes is playing Ashes. You can't favourably adjust both batting and bowling of both teams. Makes no sense.

Edit: I also think West Indies is tier-1 for players up untill Lara

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
CW ranked Richards at #5, Hutton at #7, Smith at #10 not that long ago.

Slifer

International Captain
Peak Viv easily beats peak Smith for me.

Averaging 70 plus facing Lillee, Thomson, Imran, Snow, peak Botham, and a host of quality spinners, and top scoring in WSC, is a higher peak than Smith fattening his record mainly on soft tracks at home.

Smith's insane appetite of runs against medium and poor attacks means he has a much better overall record but to me the difference between them is not huge and frankly an unlikely slump in form can take Smith below Viv overall as well.
Yeah based on what I've seen from Smith facing up to the South African attack on the last tour in Australia when the wickets were more helpful and the working over Smith got from Archer and Wagner. I'd say he'd have gotten murdered facing Thommo et al in the 80s without bouncer restrictions and minimal protection.