• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Viv Richards

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Viv was the most talented batsman I have ever seen as he smoked the best fast bowlers

Smith is better as he scores more

It really is that simple

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Hard to look past Smith. If he has a standard decline he will still be an all-conditions 55+ bat. Viv was balanced too and has the legacy performances like Smith but he averaged 45 in the second half of his career. Smith beats him for consistency.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Smith clearly has the better record, he averages about 10 more than Viv so you can't really make a coherent argument for Viv.

What I would say in Viv's favour is that he was much the better batsman to watch.

Does that matter- yes and no.

No in that it doesn't matter how you make you runs. Cricket is essentially about scoring runs and taking wickets and how you do that is of no consequence.

Yes in that as a spectator, you get more pleasure watching some batsman than others. Smith for his brilliance, isn't good on the eye due to his unorthodox technique.

If you ask me to name the best 5 batsmen I've seen.-.Smith would top the list.

Ask me to name the batsmen I've enjoyed watching the most, then Smith wouldn't feature.

Slifer

International Captain
Smith clearly has the better record, he averages about 10 more than Viv so you can't really make a coherent argument for Viv.

What I would say in Viv's favour is that he was much the better batsman to watch.

Does that matter- yes and no.

No in that it doesn't matter how you make you runs. Cricket is essentially about scoring runs and taking wickets and how you do that is of no consequence.

Yes in that as a spectator, you get more pleasure watching some batsman than others. Smith for his brilliance, isn't good on the eye due to his unorthodox technique.

If you ask me to name the best 5 batsmen I've seen.-.Smith would top the list.

Ask me to name the batsmen I've enjoyed watching the most, then Smith wouldn't feature.
Great assessment.

Coronis

International Coach
Unpopular opinion for sure, but I love Smith’s unorthodox technique and watching him bat. I also loved watching others like Lara, Sanga and Waugh, so go figure.

subshakerz

International Coach
Hard to look past Smith. If he has a standard decline he will still be an all-conditions 55+ bat. Viv was balanced too and has the legacy performances like Smith but he averaged 45 in the second half of his career. Smith beats him for consistency.
Nah, if Smith ends up at 55-57 level, I will go for Viv over him, given the padding his record has and how much less tested he has been.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Nah, if Smith ends up at 55-57 level, I will go for Viv over him, given the padding his record has and how much less tested he has been.
Not sure about that. Smith has had better home conditions but had an incredible tour of England and India as well as being productive pretty much everywhere. Viv faced some ATGs but didn’t face the best attack. He has his near-unique upside but Smith has been remorselessly consistent as of now. Would you rate him over Lara if he finishes on 55-57?

Slifer

International Captain
You keep saying "padding" but what truly dire attacks has Smith faced on a consistent basis?

subshakerz

International Coach
Not sure about that. Smith has had better home conditions but had an incredible tour of England and India as well as being productive pretty much everywhere. Viv faced some ATGs but didn’t face the best attack. He has his near-unique upside but Smith has been remorselessly consistent as of now. Would you rate him over Lara if he finishes on 55-57?
Yeah he gets over Lara.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Better stay away from the tv this summer, he’ll be going for hours and hours.
I'm sure he will and bloody Labushchagne too

It's about time Smith picked up an injury and missed an Ashes series.

Whilst we're talking about Aussie's getting injured, your pace bowlers never miss an Ashes either - it's bloody annoying.

Our bowlers - bar Jimmy, have always got stress fractures etc. About time Cummings got crocked as well as Smith