• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

BazBall21

International Captain
In spite of @trundler’s increasing loss of confidence in the PCB, he is surely confident enough that Zahid will be disposed of once the third test draws to a close. An anti-Leach England fan I was speaking to, however, almost praised Zahid’s wicket count during heated debate. If anyone else can be fooled, the PCB can.

The King is here to stay, forever.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I get your point it has been disastrous for England on a number of occasions, but we generally throw them in on a demoralised team that has already been heavily defeated. I think this is a bit different, we could lose the Test and it's no big deal.
Still have to hope it's not a Kerrigan tho

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pity Anderson’s not playing - must be a while since an England player had a teammate born after his Test debut.
It must have been a very long time ago, if it has ever happened. The nearest I've found is Brian Close being born about 6 months before Freddie Brown's test debut, with both playing in Close's first two tests. Maybe worth checking Wilf Rhodes' later appearances.

EDIT
Here is Rhodes' final test match, 31 years after his debut.
Surprisingly, only three of his team-mates were born after said debut. Although there were a couple more in earlier tests in the same series.

Last edited:

Coronis

International Coach
It must have been a very long time ago, if it has ever happened. The nearest I've found is Brian Close being born about 6 months before Freddie Brown's test debut, with both playing in Close's first two tests. Maybe worth checking Wilf Rhodes' later appearances.

EDIT
Here is Rhodes' final test match, 31 years after his debut.
Surprisingly, only three of his team-mates were born after said debut.
Yeah England in general was an old team round that time.

Heres a weird one, one of Woolley’s last tests.

Only Freddie Brown is actually younger than Woolley’s debut. However, Bill Bowes was born just 15 days prior, and crazily Bill Voce was born the day before Woolley’s debut.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I'd forgotten about Woolley playing test cricket until his mid-40s, which must be the requirement for this sort of thing. Possibly worth checking Hobbs.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
As far as I can see, the instances are:
1926, Eng v Aus, The Oval: Rhodes's debut was before Chapman, Stevens and Larwood were born
1929-30, WI v Eng (various matches): Gunn's debut was before Voce was born; Rhodes's debut was before Ames, Stevens, Townsend, Voce and Wyatt were born
1930, Eng v Aus, Old Trafford + The Oval: Hobbs's debut was before Peebles was born.
1932, Eng v Ind, Lord's: Woolley's debut was before Brown was born

You'd have thought that in the 1976 Eng v WI series, England would have picked someone aged 26 or less in the first 3 Tests.... Roberts, Julien, Greenidge, Gomes, Richards, Daniel, King and Holding were all born after Close's first Test.

AndrewB

Only Freddie Brown is actually younger than Woolley’s debut. However, Bill Bowes was born just 15 days prior, and crazily Bill Voce was born the day before Woolley’s debut.
True about Voce, but Bowes was 1 year 15 days old when Woolley made his debut.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
You'd have thought that in the 1976 Eng v WI series, England would have picked someone aged 26 or less in the first 3 Tests.... Roberts, Julien, Greenidge, Gomes, Richards, Daniel, King and Holding were all born after Close's first Test.
Yup, 27 years isn't exactly young. But that's how England played it in those days; you'd often come across pieces on 'young' cricketers who were pushing 30.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair, Gooch (21/22) and Edmonds (24) had played the year before.
Yes they had. And also to be fair, Botham debuted the year after Close played his final tests, aged 21. I suppose that my recollections are dominated by the early 1970s, when I first watched the game, and England really did have a very old team.

AndrewB

Other Test cricketers to have played before their teammate's birth:
George Headley (Valentine)
Srinivas Venkataraghavan (Maninder Singh, Sivaramakrishnan)
Imran Khan (Aaqib, Waqar, Moin, Zahid)
John Traicos (Campbell, Grant Flower)
Saleem Malik (Hasan Raza)
Sachin Tendulkar (Kumar, Mukund, Shami, Unadkat)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Other Test cricketers to have played before their teammate's birth:
George Headley (Valentine)
Srinivas Venkataraghavan (Maninder Singh, Sivaramakrishnan)
Imran Khan (Aaqib, Waqar, Moin, Zahid)
John Traicos (Campbell, Grant Flower)
Saleem Malik (Hasan Raza)
Sachin Tendulkar (Kumar, Mukund, Shami, Unadkat)
I thought Bradman and Harvey might've as well, but Harvey was about a month old when Bradman debuted.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazball: Played 10 won 9 yet here they are at 3.2 before a ball is bowled.
Pakistan make a few runs early they could be worth jumping on at something like 6/1.