• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand v India T20s & ODIs

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Samson struggles when the ball bounce above his hips at decent pace. His record in the IPL Is very iffy. Its not like he has a friggin Ajay Sharma record in domestix like Sarfraz Khan does. It is just a part of hipster movement from TN and Kerala twitter (mostly bots) who wanna create issues out of nothing.

Rahul is a better #5 bet as a keeper/bat in ODIs anyways.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Samson struggles when the ball bounce above his hips at decent pace. His record in the IPL Is very iffy. Its not like he has a friggin Ajay Sharma record in domestix like Sarfraz Khan does. It is just a part of hipster movement from TN and Kerala twitter (mostly bots) who wanna create issues out of nothing.

Rahul is a better #5 bet as a keeper/bat in ODIs anyways.
I don’t disagree on Rahul but he isn’t going to bat there, he hates it. Samson’s improved in the last 2 years to the point of being considered a good player now too, has a good odi record so far and doesn’t deserve to be randomly picked and dropped every other game

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don’t disagree on Rahul but he isn’t going to bat there, he hates it. Samson’s improved in the last 2 years to the point of being considered a good player now too, has a good odi record so far and doesn’t deserve to be randomly picked and dropped every other game
He has not made good scores for India overseas ever in my recollection. Rahul is the incumbent and I dont think he hates batting there. In fact, he said he finds it very settled to bat at that slot for India.

The only argument could be that he doesn't even keep for his IPL franchise anymore and therefore cant play as a keeper. But he is a far better at #5 than anyone we have at present and if we are sure Hardik is gonna bat 6, then I would rather groom Rahul as the keeper/batsman at 5 with Sanju as the backup.

Socerer 01

International Captain
He has not made good scores for India overseas ever in my recollection. Rahul is the incumbent and I dont think he hates batting there. In fact, he said he finds it very settled to bat at that slot for India.

The only argument could be that he doesn't even keep for his IPL franchise anymore and therefore cant play as a keeper. But he is a far better at #5 than anyone we have at present and if we are sure Hardik is gonna bat 6, then I would rather groom Rahul as the keeper/batsman at 5 with Sanju as the backup.
Samson has played what, 11 odis? How do you criticise him for lack of overseas scores with such a small sample size? One of his fifties is also abroad iirc

Rahul played himself as an opener and demoted an in form Gill to 3 when he came back vs Zimbabwe as the captain with more openers on the bench. If that does not scream that he prefers opening then what will.. Rahul doesn’t keep either anymore like you said. If he is up for it then Rahul would be my first choice as 5 and keeper but I doubt his interest in it

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Samson has played what, 11 odis? How do you criticise him for lack of overseas scores with such a small sample size? One of his fifties is also abroad iirc

Rahul played himself as an opener and demoted an in form Gill to 3 when he came back vs Zimbabwe as the captain with more openers on the bench. If that does not scream that he prefers opening then what will.. Rahul doesn’t keep either anymore like you said. If he is up for it then Rahul would be my first choice as 5 and keeper but I doubt his interest in it
Rahul averages like 80 or 90+ with a SR that is 110 or so at #5 in the last 2 or 3 years IIRC. How is this even comparable?

And I went by how Samson played in the T20s abroad as he has hardly played any ODIs. Either way, Rahul has a far better record even in the period Samson has been playing ODIs for us and just watching him, its clear he is not happy playing anything above 140K that bounces upto his hips or above.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Why does this Chahal have a decent to good record whenever i have watched an Indian game he gets smashed, must have done good somewhere

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rahul averages like 80 or 90+ with a SR that is 110 or so at #5 in the last 2 or 3 years IIRC. How is this even comparable?

And I went by how Samson played in the T20s abroad as he has hardly played any ODIs. Either way, Rahul has a far better record even in the period Samson has been playing ODIs for us and just watching him, its clear he is not happy playing anything above 140K that bounces upto his hips or above.
They forgot about Rahul's keeping because you didn't keep up with your daily reminder:

And daily reminder that KL Rahul was the #1 keeper for his franchise till last year and also kept for us in T20Is.

Socerer 01

International Captain

except I’m agreeing with you on Rahul as 5 over Samson. I even said so in the post you quoted. But Rahul isn’t playing as a 5 anymore, let alone as the keeper. Rahul looks like someone who has completely believed in his hype and swallowed it with the way he bats and his general demeanour. Rahul had chances to play at 5 on several times and he didn’t even when he had control over the lineup

Samson in T20s has never received a proper run of matches.. maybe other than when we toured Ireland and England before Asia Cup. His sole T20 50 was on Irish soil, make of that what you will. I don’t think he is as bad as he once was and deserves a proper stay of execution or consistent chances, that’s all I’m saying. I’d say the same for anyone in his position. It’s not like he doesn’t deserve them when he has several impressive odi performances already playing in a way that our side has lacked in the past. To the quote of him being unable to play pace, he handled it fine vs RSA. I’d back him over Shreyas who is far worse against pace and short balls

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
except I’m agreeing with you on Rahul as 5 over Samson. I even said so in the post you quoted. But Rahul isn’t playing as a 5 anymore, let alone as the keeper. Rahul looks like someone who has completely believed in his hype and swallowed it with the way he bats and his general demeanour. Rahul had chances to play at 5 on several times and he didn’t even when he had control over the lineup

Samson in T20s has never received a proper run of matches.. maybe other than when we toured Ireland and England before Asia Cup. His sole T20 50 was on Irish soil, make of that what you will. I don’t think he is as bad as he once was and deserves a proper stay of execution or consistent chances, that’s all I’m saying. It’s not like he doesn’t deserve them when he has several impressive odi performances already playing in a way that our side has lacked in the past. To the quote of him being unable to play pace, he handled it fine vs RSA. I’d back him over Shreyas who is far worse against pace and short balls
I am totally OK with him being in the squad and being the back-up keeper but the simple fact is, Pant is a left hander who has done even better in ODIs recently and Rahul has done far better at the same slot. I don't think we are looking for another batsman at 6 given Hardik is likely to be back in the ODI set up.

The problem is the idiots who seem to think Samson demands a place in the XI over Pant. He simply doesn't, in any format.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I am totally OK with him being in the squad and being the back-up keeper but the simple fact is, Pant is a left hander who has done even better in ODIs recently and Rahul has done far better at the same slot. I don't think we are looking for another batsman at 6 given Hardik is likely to be back in the ODI set up.

The problem is the idiots who seem to think Samson demands a place in the XI over Pant. He simply doesn't, in any format.
Yeah the reason he doesn't get an extended run is that he's not in the best eleven. He'll play here and there in random series when others are rested because that's just like, how it works when you're not in the best XI.

He's actually benefitting from all the resting and rotation, otherwise he wouldn't be playing at all.

Socerer 01

International Captain

Samson shouldn’t be at 6 anyway. I’d cry if India plays six batsmen again ffs