• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 20 greatest batsmen of all time

subshakerz

International Coach
this era? post 90s

1. Tendulkar
2. Brian Lara
3. Kumar Sangakarra
4. AB De Villiers
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Rahul Dravid (similar defensive to Kallis)
7. Ricky Ponting
8. Gilly- impact player(average not as high- keeping)
9 . Steve Tuggah Waugh

Im sure most will agree with the above- approximately.

****No steve smith, kohli, root - modern day flat tracks have padded their average and i dont rate them. The above managed high averages on some tough tracks, v some crazy bowling attacks, and were very very skillful.
post 90s

Tendulkar
Lara
Smith*
Ponting

Most will agree these are top of the tree. Smith may end up ahead of Lara or even Tendulkar depending on how he does.

Waugh
Sanga
Dravid
Kallis

This is my following order but these four are debatable. Waugh is probably the most underrated batsman on this forum.

Then you have guys like Amla, ABD, Inzi, Clarke, Chanders, etc.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Opening is objectively tougher but Sobers did objectively better
How? He never had to face Malcolm Marshall, Denis LIllee or Imran Khan?

there was no doubt in any of the cricket fraternity's minds that he was the best of his time. Gavaskar would not be considered ahead of Viv.
Because his era was a weak one. If Viv played in Sobers era most people would rate Viv ahead of Sobers.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hobbs
Sobers
Lara
Hutton
Richards
Hammond
Gavaskar
Smith
Ponting
Sutcliffe
Sangakkara
Border
Kallis
Dravid
Younis
Chappell
Waugh
Miandad
Barrington
Walcott
Weekes

A few heretical trundlerisms in there. Not counting G Pollock and Headley.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Bradman
Tendulkar
Hobbs
Sobers
Lara
Hutton
Richards
Hammond
Gavaskar
Smith
Ponting
Sutcliffe
Sangakkara
Border
Kallis
Dravid
Younis
Chappell
Waugh
Miandad
Barrington
Walcott
Weekes

A few heretical trundlerisms in there. Not counting G Pollock and Headley.
Thought Younis and Javed would be the other way round. Hutton over Viv is cool.

Bitmap

State Vice-Captain
Bradman
Hobbs
Sobers
Tendulkar
IVA Richards
Hutton
Lara
Smith
Gavaskar
RG Pollock
Hammond
Headley
Ponting
Sutcliffe
Chappell
Border
Sangakarra
Kallis
Waugh
Dravid

BazBall21

post 90s

Tendulkar
Lara
Smith*
Ponting

Most will agree these are top of the tree. Smith may end up ahead of Lara or even Tendulkar depending on how he does.

Waugh
Sanga
Dravid
Kallis

This is my following order but these four are debatable. Waugh is probably the most underrated batsman on this forum.

Then you have guys like Amla, ABD, Inzi, Clarke, Chanders, etc.
Waugh over Sanga is interesting but not outrageous

BazBall21

Purely Tests:

1) Bradman
2) Tendulkar
3) Sobers
4) Hobbs
5) Smith
6) Richards
7) Hutton
8) Lara
9) Hammond
10) Headley
11) Gavaskar
12) Pollock
13) Chappell
14) Sutcliffe
15) Ponting
16) Trumper (probably a very romantic pick)
17) Weekes
18) Compton
19) Border
20) Kallis
21) Sangakkara
22) Walcott
23) Miandad
24) Waugh
25) Boycott
26) Dravid
27) Barrington
28) Harvey
29) Kohli
30) Root

That 23-27 area I change my mind on a lot. Had Barrington at the top of the group actually until recently.
Would maybe put Miandad down a couple on another day. Miandad-Barrington area is tight. Even Harvey could be same tier.

Slifer

International Captain
How? He never had to face Malcolm Marshall, Denis LIllee or Imran Khan?

Because his era was a weak one. If Viv played in Sobers era most people would rate Viv ahead of Sobers.
But he did face the likes of : Trueman, Davidson, Statham, and spinners like Lock and Benaud etc. Might've been an easier era overall but it couldn't have been that easy playing with the bats they did, the protection they used etc.

Whistler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It always amazes me how people can rank batsmen they have never watched against bowlers they have never watched. Stats don’t always paint an accurate picture. For example, Don Bradman’s stats look great but when you factor in the fact that he was largely playing against a nation who had their population decimated by WW1 and WW2, you can start to understand the discrepancy with his figures.

Slifer

International Captain
It always amazes me how people can rank batsmen they have never watched against bowlers they have never watched. Stats don’t always paint an accurate picture. For example, Don Bradman’s stats look great but when you factor in the fact that he was largely playing against a nation who had their population decimated by WW1 and WW2, you can start to understand the discrepancy with his figures.
Dude stop the bs. Now we're using the excuse of England losing people during ww2 to belittle Bradman? Ha. In cricket without exception and under varying circumstances, batsmen are in the 50 to 60 range. That includes several batsmen who were contemporaries of the Don.

You have a succession of batsmen from the time of Hobbs to present who all overlap with one another : Hobbs with the Don, the Don with Hutton, Hutton with the Ws, Sobers, Gavaskar, Viv etc and they all are in the 50- 60 range. Then you have one anomaly and not just an anomaly a guy who is 40% better than anyone.

It doesn't matter whether or not we saw him or not, facts are facts.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
But he did face the likes of : Trueman, Davidson, Statham, and spinners like Lock and Benaud etc. Might've been an easier era overall but it couldn't have been that easy playing with the bats they did, the protection they used etc.
Not saying he didn't faced good bowlers. Just that Gavaskar faced better bowlers.

Whistler

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Dude stop the bs. Now we're using the excuse of England losing people during ww2 to belittle Bradman? Ha. In cricket without exception and under varying circumstances, batsmen are in the 50 to 60 range. That includes several batsmen who were contemporaries of the Don.

You have a succession of batsmen from the time of Hobbs to present who all overlap with one another : Hobbs with the Don, the Don with Hutton, Hutton with the Ws, Sobers, Gavaskar, Viv etc and they all are in the 50- 60 range. Then you have one anomaly and not just an anomaly a guy who is 40% better than anyone.

It doesn't matter whether or not we saw him or not, facts are facts.
But you have to put facts and statistics in perspective. Almost 400,000 British cricket playing aged males died in WW2 compared to 40,000 Australians. If you don’t understand what impact that has on a nation’s ability to field a sporting team then there is nothing I can do to help you. Should we judge the Ukrainian football team on their capabilities now?

Coronis

International Coach
Don’t be silly. If you didn’t bat in the 70s/80s/90s you batted on roads against **** bowlers

Slifer

International Captain
But you have to put facts and statistics in perspective. Almost 400,000 British cricket playing aged males died in WW2 compared to 40,000 Australians. If you don’t understand what impact that has on a nation’s ability to field a sporting team then there is nothing I can do to help you. Should we judge the Ukrainian football team on their capabilities now?
Huh? What does war deaths have to do with anything? Were those 400k cricketers? As a matter of fact apart from Verity no notable cricketers died during the 2nd world war. This is grasping at straws or trolling if I ever saw it. And fun fact, WW2 last I checked was from 1939 to 1945. The Don did most of his damage before the war even broke out.