• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil vs Shaun Pollock in Tests

Greater Test Cricketer: Kapil Dev vs Shaun Pollock

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't have dodgy fitness concerns either like Kapil who struggled to play 2 matches in a trot during his playing days.
He actually played 66 on the trot (27th most of all time). Only 5 players - Cook, Border, M Waugh, Gavaskar, and McCullum played over 100, although Lyon might join the list (currently 88) and perhaps Brathwaite and Latham (69 and 68 respectively).

Among allrounders (50+) Sobers 85 on the trot, Kapil 66, Botham 65, Kallis 60, Reid 58, Greig 58, Woolley 52, Shastri 50, others?? McGrath (54) and Walsh (53) are the only seamers on the list.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Pollock -Much better bowler, equal as bats, better fieldsman. Pollock > Kapil.

Pollock even as a bowler is > Kapil the player. Pollock will walk in to India ATG side as a bowler alone and would replace Kapil too!
Kapil >> Pollock

Pollock After 156 innings
3781 runs, 2 x 100, 16 x 50

Kapil After 155 innings
4411 runs, 6 x 100, 23 x 50

After 202 innings
Pollock 421 wickets, 16 x 5, 10 x 1
Kapil 408 wickets, 23 x 5, 10 x 2

+ difference in team strength, X factor.. Etc

Coronis

International Coach
Kapil >> Pollock

Kapil After 155 innings

After 202 innings

You forget to mention the 6 point difference in their bowling.

Migara

International Coach
Kapil >> Pollock

Kapil After 155 innings

After 202 innings

Average of 21 vs Average of 29.

Different class as bowlers. Bowler who can average 21 with the ball for 155 innings >> Kapil Dev for 155 innings.

Bolo.

International Captain
Kapil had it easier batting higher up, but with a weaker tail, so they are likely gonna run out of partners to a similar extent. Pollock likely should have accelerated a bit more at times when short of partners. No idea if Kapil should have slowed down at times when he still had partners.

Kapil had an easier job batting at home. Averages 7 more than Pollock. Pollock had an easier job batting away. Averages 10 more than Kapil.

Not easy to separate them as bats.

No contest in the bowling obviously.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Kapil had it easier batting higher up, but with a weaker tail, so they are likely gonna run out of partners to a similar extent. Pollock likely should have accelerated a bit more at times when short of partners. No idea if Kapil should have slowed down at times when he still had partners.

Kapil had an easier job batting at home. Averages 7 more than Pollock. Pollock had an easier job batting away. Averages 10 more than Kapil.

Not easy to separate them as bats.

No contest in the bowling obviously.
No contest in the batting, Kapil was Klusner level batsman, Pollock was Hadlee league

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually think Pollock had the better career which is the most objective way you can rate them given the different eras they played in etc. But I voted for Kapil coz I felt bad it was such a runaway win for Pollock.

Migara

International Coach
Pollock and Hadlee a league below Kapil in batting.
Nope. Kapil averaged even less than Pollock. It would have been true if Kapil averaged what Kallis has done. Kapil is same league as batsman as Pollock. Hadlee a tier below. Pollock is light years ahead of Kapil as a bowler. Hadlee even little bit more. I would take both pollock and Hadlee on their bowling alone over Kapil's whole package in test cricket.

Batsman averaging 30 - 35 is average. 35 - 45 is very good. > 45 is great.
Bowler averaging > 35 is average. 30 - 35 is good. 25 - 30 is very good. below 25 is exceptional.

Kapil is not exceptional in either batting or bowling. So is Botham. Hadlee, Pollock, Imran, Kallis, Sobers all are exceptional in one of the disciplines.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Nope. Kapil averaged even less than Pollock. It would have been true if Kapil averaged what Kallis has done. Kapil is same league as batsman as Pollock. Hadlee a tier below. Pollock is light years ahead of Kapil as a bowler. Hadlee even little bit more. I would take both pollock and Hadlee on their bowling alone over Kapil's whole package in test cricket.

Bowler averaging > 35 is average. 30 - 35 is good. 25 - 30 is very good. below 25 is exceptional.

Kapil is not exceptional in either batting or bowling. So is Botham. Hadlee, Pollock, Imran, Kallis, Sobers all are exceptional in one of the disciplines.
I know Pollock averaged more.. Like Imran.. Way better average than deserved.
Kapil's case is opposite, his avg is at least 4 points lower than deserved.

If you adjust era and conditions,
Kapil is 26-27 avg bowler and 35-37 avg batsman
Pollock is 24-25 avg bowler 30-32 avg batsman

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I will choose Kapil, Botham or Klusner to bat in a critical situation against a quality opposition than Hadlee, Pollock or Aswin.

Bolo.

International Captain

As staggeringly unbelievable as it sounds, a player bats in the same era and on the same pitches as they bowl on

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

You can’t have it both ways lol. If Kapil was bowling in tough conditions he had it slightly easier as a batsman.

Migara

International Coach

1. What is the methodology of adjustment?
2. Imran with same adjustments will become a sub 20 bowler and a 40+ batsman because Kapil and Imran played in same era. Hadlee also will become sub 20 and 30 averaging batsman. Still they will be light years ahead of Kapil as bowlers.

Migara

International Coach
I will choose Kapil, Botham or Klusner to bat in a critical situation against a quality opposition than Hadlee, Pollock or Aswin.
If hadlee, Pollock and Ashwin bowl, many of those criiticial situations will not occur, and so they don't have to face it.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
1. What is the methodology of adjustment?
2. Imran with same adjustments will become a sub 20 bowler and a 40+ batsman because Kapil and Imran played in same era. Hadlee also will become sub 20 and 30 averaging batsman. Still they will be light years ahead of Kapil as bowlers.
Kapil was a better batsman than Imran.