• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African tour of England and Ireland 2022

Heboric

International Debutant
****ing dire, brings back memories of the Boks losing to Japan in 2015 for level of direness

Bijed

International Regular
I wonder how his average looks for the last couple of years. And matches against The Netherlands don't count.

Anyway, is the rain about to save SA?

EDIT
Since the start of 2020, excluding the boot filling exercise against the Netherlands, Roy averages 25.
I should probably actually check the stats at some point, but feels like a lot of (all?) our batsmen have dropped off after the World Cup (again excluding Netherlands). Probably a mix of reasons though, I seem to recall tougher pitches being specifically asked for at some point and in Morgan's case he just got past his best.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I should probably actually check the stats at some point, but feels like a lot of (all?) our batsmen have dropped off after the World Cup (again excluding Netherlands). Probably a mix of reasons though, I seem to recall tougher pitches being specifically asked for at some point and in Morgan's case he just got past his best.
Again since the start of 2020 and excluding those matches against the Netherlands
Bairstow = 43
Root = 35
Buttler = 23
Moeen = 20

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In some ways, Buttler's figures are more worrying than Roy's, insofar as the latter could probably be replaced by Salt but we don't want to lose Buttler right now. If Roy were to end up being dropped with Salt and Root both moving up a place in the order, maybe play Brooks at 4 and give Livingstone a run at 5. But I don't know a huge amount about alternatives in the county game.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Finally getting a chance to watch some of this tour. Moeen Ali's stats popped up on the screen and I'm genuinely shocked by them. Nearly 50 with the ball and 25 with the bat. I would have assumed he was around the 30 mark with both!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Finally getting a chance to watch some of this tour. Moeen Ali's stats popped up on the screen and I'm genuinely shocked by them. Nearly 50 with the ball and 25 with the bat. I would have assumed he was around the 30 mark with both!
No surprise really. It might be harsh to say but I think he's a pretty average international cricketer. He can bowl tight spells and is quite a good containing option - and an economy of 5.2 is good in the modern era. But far too often he flatters to deceive with the bat and hasn't established a permanent position. I still have no idea where he bats best!

Has an abundance of natural ability so I can see why he's always in the selectors thoughts. But it's 100% time to move on from him now. You may as well pick a Dawson to fulfill a similar role or someone from left-field like Moriarty/Parkinson as a front-line spinner and just back them