• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African tour of England and Ireland 2022

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gotta respect him for having a go in a no hoper of a sitch. Well played. In hindsight, Morgan was pretty vital, eh.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, he's only facing the nastiest fast man on the planet.
Yup. Self-preservation didn't look the worst idea when he was still around to hit a couple of fours off the guys at the other end.

Anyway, Root's gone now, so that's probably that anyway. Good knock actually.

EDIT
So's Curran.
And there's another. So unless our last pair do something remarkable, that's three comfortable defeats out of four ODIs played this summer.
And I'm not actually sure why Potts is batting here if he wasn't fit enough to be on the field for the last chunk of the SA innings.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Going to be a fun Test series with Rabada, Nortje, and Jansen. Probably the stiffest challenge Eng's new approach has faced yet.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going to be a fun Test series with Rabada, Nortje, and Jansen. Probably the stiffest challenge Eng's new approach has faced yet.
Is it? Nortje isn't particularly suited to English conditions, I'd say no more than Shami. Great bowler but he could go for runs. Rabada still has much to prove away from home; I'd have Boult and Bumrah ahead of him in England as of now. Jansen is yet to play a test in England but he's not the best containing bowler from what I've seen. In theory, NZ and India were as good, if not better. You'd expect the law of averages to aid SA though.

Preed

U19 12th Man
Total revamp neededStokes has shown no interest in one day since making captain of test team.Livingstone a flat track bully who just slogs wildly.Butler poor captain and speak usual speak after defeat

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I'm banking on unfulfilled/unproven potential in all of their cases. Rabada appears to be in a better place than even just an year ago. Nortje bowling short is a foregone conclusion but he's consistently a yard quicker than the Kiwis and Indians so it remains to be seen if they can continue hooking him into the stands. Jansen is the real dark horse for mine though; very tall, steepling bounce at brisk pace from a left-armer's angle. Again, something the English haven't encountered so far.

Edit: @trundler

Xix2565

International Regular
I'm banking on unfulfilled/unproven potential in all of their cases. Rabada appears to be in a better place than even just an year ago. Nortje bowling short is a foregone conclusion but he's consistently a yard quicker than the Kiwis and Indians so it remains to be seen if they can continue hooking him into the stands. Jansen is the real dark horse for mine though; very tall, steepling bounce at brisk pace from a left-armer's angle. Again, something the English haven't encountered so far.

Edit: @trundler
I don't know, it's not like they're much likely to do better if pitches and ball continue to favour batting now in England.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
He might not play ahead of Ngidi though.
Ngidi actually was very crucial in that series win vs India. Always picked up crucial wickets & kept run scoring down.
Won't be a bad call picking either of them. I'd have taken Jansen over Nortje but with BazBall around need Nortje's express pace to rattle England a bit.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Total revamp neededStokes has shown no interest in one day since making captain of test team.Livingstone a flat track bully who just slogs wildly.Butler poor captain and speak usual speak after defeat
Eng should drop Roy & perhaps open with Livingstone. He's a hack but atm a better hack than Roy. Harry Brook in middle order would provide some stability.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Mulder not in the squad, Jansen is playing at 7. That leaves space for Maharaj, Ngidi, Rabada and Nortje... with Harmer as a possible. The squad selection and Bavuma's injury has mostly taken away the SA team selection dilemmas.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jansen as a favourite golden boy is not a good look for the team selection... I like him and don't mind him in the squad or the team at 8. But him pushing Mulder out just when he was getting consistently selected is bad. And while I understand it I`m not the biggest fan of Harmers selection for England.

Marius

International Debutant
Jansen as a favourite golden boy is not a good look for the team selection... I like him and don't mind him in the squad or the team at 8. But him pushing Mulder out just when he was getting consistently selected is bad. And while I understand it I`m not the biggest fan of Harmers selection for England.
Why aren't you a fan of Harmer's selection?