• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India tour of Ireland and England 2022

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Leach is amazingly bad at what's usually a left armer's strength (admittedly more against right handers), containment. He doesn't seem able to dart it in, even when he bowls quick the batsmen can still get under it. Not sure if it's something in his action, the super upright arm wouldn't help.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’m not very convinced by England’s improved batting against NZ. NZ botched their selections, lost an important bowler during 2 of the 3 tests, and bowled poorly for long spells, India should be much more of a challenge. I think they’re in trouble.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Leach is amazingly bad at what's usually a left armer's strength (admittedly more against right handers), containment. He doesn't seem able to dart it in, even when he bowls quick the batsmen can still get under it. Not sure if it's something in his action, the super upright arm wouldn't help.
What happened to Dawson?? He was one of the promising ones

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just catching up. Why did Stokes feed him so much Leach? Win toss and bowl first so you can twirl nothing-breaks at brutally dominant players of spin in the hope that they eventually sky one.
Probably overbowled the seamers a bit slightly earlier in the hope of taking one more and blowing it all open, but I was calling so much Leach out at the time as being bat**** insane. Hard to really explain.

In terms of how Leach bowled, I'm not sure 'wrong line' is really the easy out other people seem to. He just gets almost no drift or dip when he's bowling over the wicket, and as such can be easy pickings for LHBs when it's not turning much. Pant and Jadeja both average about 100 against left arm spin in Tests too, so it was a particularly bad match-up at the time.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Atherton & Nas would have ripped Root apart on Commentary if bowling leach to Pant Jadeja was his call. They went rather easy on Stokes. So much bias man.

Shri

Mr. Glass
southee and boult are more about skill and not sustained 140kmph+ pace these days

nz's enforcer wagner was not selected until the dead rubber and jamieson didn't play half a test

also ajaz was never picked and ****ing bracewell played instead

not calling an indian win because of root and stokes' presence but england are about to face a much tougher challenge

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think there’s some Swift revisionism going on about NZ’s bowling. They bowled well enough to constantly have us in trouble but then ran out of ideas when Root/Bairstow rescued the innings.

I guess we will see but the form Root is in means a score in the 300s should be obtainable if he plays to that form.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It’s good to see Potts get the toweling up his bowling actually deserves. He’s a bit of a non-event tbh
I read somewhere that Potts is like Robinson without the baggage. I'm not sure that I completely agree, as my impression was that Robinson is a bit better than Potts. But I'm not really knowledgeable enough to argue strongly either way.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's always futile to try and guess what a "par" score is on a pitch, but it has honestly looked really really flat after the new ball wore off.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think there’s some Swift revisionism going on about NZ’s bowling. They bowled well enough to constantly have us in trouble but then ran out of ideas when Root/Bairstow rescued the innings.

I guess we will see but the form Root is in means a score in the 300s should be obtainable if he plays to that form.
That's it. NZ's selection for the last test showed they were more concerned with their batting. I agree Ajaz should have played but their errors in selection may have been over the 3 genuine bowlers they picked, not Bracewell. They overburdened Southee and Boult and used an underdone Wagner as a point of difference. No one else in the squad really could have done a better job when Jamieson was ruled out. Which is why I'm always amazed Ferguson can't even make their touring squads and he would have been the man for the side they picked at Leeds.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Not sure I get India's tactics here with the new ball 5 overs away. I'd have thought you'd have taken every single on offer...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I read somewhere that Potts is like Robinson without the baggage. I'm not sure that I completely agree, as my impression was that Robinson is a bit better than Potts. But I'm not really knowledgeable enough to argue strongly either way.
Potts is a bit quicker but yeah Robinson has serious skill. Potts just seems to run in and plonk it on a length at 130-135 clicks - an undervalued methodology if you can do it well, but Robinson is different gravy.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
82mph short stuff to the tail again then? and no slips to Shami feels negative
It's crap, isn't it. You'd have thought that the Bumrah and Shami partnership last year would have taught them something, but apparently not.
The cricinfo commentator reckons they'll pitch it up when they take the new ball, but that's rubbish too. Shami averages 11 ffs. He's not that great against proper bowling even with an old ball that isn't moving a lot.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
It's crap, isn't it. You'd have thought that the Bumrah and Shami partnership last year would have taught them something, but apparently not.
Yes I thought they would have learned after the debacle last year at Lords but clearly not.