• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Tom's luck is not going his way according to McMillan, what an absurd call - just tapped it straight to the fielder.

I reckon he just has a mental block against the better teams. Really weak stuff.

Meridio

International Regular
Jamieson is NOT the problem and would walk into ANY side in the world today, or any NZ side in history. The problem is not picking a spinner when you have a good one, not batting your best with a lot of soft dismissals, and SA actually batting well for a change.
It's not that Jamieson is "the problem", it's that all summer he's bowled noticeably worse than he has since his debut, and while you would never expect him to carry on averaging 14 or whatever it was, seeing someone go backwards when in the national team is a bit concerning.

vandem

International 12th Man
... NZ missing a spinner, at some point 5 variations on RFM will lose it's sting. Pitch was flat and SA were pressure free for the most part...
Hard for the seamers to back up in the 2nd innings when the batters only lasted 80 overs on a flat pitch (and yes I know some of the bowlers didn't try to bat time). And when your captain likes to give each of you reasonably long spells, and ignores a useful 6th bowling option.

Meridio

International Regular
This is Bad.

Think it's still very much a new ball pitch. there's just a little bit of movement which you'd expect with a new ball. Get through 20 overs and it will be a lot easier I'd say.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Feels very like the second innings batting capitulation against Bangladesh. Right now we seem to be great when we're front-running a test and the other team is too shocked to put up a fight, but we're poor as soon as they do.

vandem

International 12th Man
If we'd had a hypothetical 3rd test would Young be opening in it with Rutherford and Ravindra in the squad?
Perhaps Young's failures are the jolt that the NZ selectors need to pick a long term opening option for the tests in England? Ravindra obviously.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perhaps Young's failures are the jolt that the NZ selectors need to pick a long term opening option for the tests in England? Ravindra obviously.
Hmm, not sure an England tour would be the best way for Ravindra to have his first taste of opening in tests. Not that I have any better ideas, obviously.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ravindra needs to actually make some runs in domestic cricket first.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
DC doesn't look as assured as he did when he blasted onto the international scene. He cashed in against the Banga's as you should do, but still looked short of his best.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm reasonably confident Ravindra will be a good Test player but I'm starting to get more sceptical that it'll be as an opener tbh.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
SteveNZ points being brought home here with regards to the Will Young opening situation. It's interesting because I had this discussion with few mates the other day, and there are a fair few people who for some reason or another prefer Will Young opening over Conway, cause.... I dunno, reasons like he "looks" good? At what point, and SteveNZ open letter (for lack of a better term) about this debacle was spot on, do we actually pick players for what they do?

We are seeing this trend throughout the domestic game, where guys are willing to turn themselves into whatever the fast track to higher honours is (and when I say higher honours, I'm not even talking about the BC's, I mean anything that will make them a more "attractive and lucrative" player).

Also, Latham without his customary home series double tons against Sri Lanka / West Indies never seems to push on, it's bizarre really. Is it a rhythm/tempo thing?