• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 35 will be accepted again

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't have footage of Asif bowling it on hand tbh, but I know that Saker and Anderson cited him as one of the people who led them to work on it in 2010.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't have footage of Asif bowling it on hand tbh, but I know that Saker and Anderson cited him as one of the people who led them to work on it in 2010.
Normal modern narrow-fingered grip. I might add it doesn't seem to vary between deliveries either.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 9.17.08 am.png

Mohammad Abbas is the same (and remember when he didn't move the ball of the straight at Adelaide, a pitch where the ball didn't bite into the surface?)

In comparison here's how Richard Hadlee says to grip the ball - Dennis Lillee was the same.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 9.31.43 am.png

Almost every older text I've come across shows the grip for swing bowling as having the fingers apart. Anderson, on the other hand, has a very narrow grip for both the inswinger and the outswinger.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
should've gone to starceh tbh, and i was calling for starc to be dropped heading into the series as much as i was trav
Anyone who suscribes to the Shane Warne viewpoint on Starc really is a weapons grade numbskull. No single cricketer in all of Australia gets such a disproportionate level of critisism relative to performance, mostly from idiot casuals who neither know nor care about what alternatives are available at the domestic level

Honestly, between this and your advocation for Hameed despite his abject failure to perform, it honestly seems like the rationale for rating or not rating players doesn't extend beyond purely emotion driven "I just like/don't like them" type garbage

Spark

Global Moderator
Anderson, on the other hand, has a very narrow grip for both the inswinger and the outswinger.
Yeah this is probably where I heard it from - he needed to adjust his grip to get control over the slightly tilted seam. Then Broad copied him, then the Australians copied them starting in about 2015, which is why you now hear them all talking about the wobble seamer.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Anyone who suscribes to the Shane Warne viewpoint on Starc really is a weapons grade numbskull. No single cricketer in all of Australia gets such a disproportionate level of critisism relative to performance, mostly from idiot casuals who neither know nor care about what alternatives are available at the domestic level

Honestly, between this and your advocation for Hameed despite his abject failure to perform, it honestly seems like the rationale for rating or not rating players doesn't extend beyond purely emotion driven "I just like/don't like them" type garbage
if this were true, then i wouldn't have conceded that starc proved me wrong in the ashes and deserved the compton miller

Spark

Global Moderator
series was already substantively done by the time starc faded though - if we are counting all five tests equally then you can't go past boland imho
Boland only played three games. Head being good isn't, like, a crime against cricket, there was nothing at all wrong with him getting the gong.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Too much focus on the wobble seam here, though I will say it’s been very clear while watching that seamers of late have been intentionally bowling it more. Pitches being so friendly probably exaggerate the effects though.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Yeah, two tests is practically nothing. Totally meaningless contribution. Will be forgotten in a week
of course, it's not as if my post was referencing how many tests he made a big boy contribution in vs how many boland made a big boy contribution in or any thing eh

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hold on a minute, Shady has a point

Boland: Played 3 Tests, 3 excellent contributions
Head: Played 4 Tests, 2 excellent contributions

the math favours Boland, and this is coming from me, a long-term Travis Head fanboy