• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

sunilz

International Regular
In the 2017/18 series, if there hadn't been even one of Philander or ABDV, India 'probably' would've won 2-1 instead of losing 2-1.

It was close and ABDV made vital series changing contributions and so did Philander, as a gun bowling all-rounder.
This is story of every Indian tour to SA since 2006/07. We always find a way to lose.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
This is story of every Indian tour to SA since 2006/07. We always find a way to lose.
ABDV wasn't really playing Tests regularly at the time and retired a month or two later. I still wish he hadn't played the India series.

Faf had a good series too. Amla less so. So it will be interesting to see who torments India this time without these stalwarts around anymore.

sunilz

International Regular
2010/11 was more closer than last one . We couldn't dismiss Boucher/Steyn in 3rd Test.

Similarly in 2006/07 , Dravid/Tendulkar couldn't get the job done.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
India's chances rest with Pujara and Kohli playing closer to potential, because India's biggest advantage over SA on paper is the middle order. They have to turn up or it may be agonisingly close..

Feel like Ashwin could have a good series here if Kohli sticks with him.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Jeez I remember Cape town test in 2018. Bumrah bowled a lot of half volleys in his debut test inns & ABD cashed in & I knew those runs by Maharaj with the tail will be vital. Overall a disappointing loss. In Centurion Ashwin bowled superbly & we dropped a lot of catches off him. Here's hoping to no errors this time around.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
For me the most disappointed moment was India setup the target of more than 450 runs but still couldn't get the job done.

Dendarii

International Debutant
In the 2017/18 series, if there hadn't been even one of Philander or ABDV, India 'probably' would've won 2-1 instead of losing 2-1.

It was close and ABDV made vital series changing contributions and so did Philander, as a gun bowling all-rounder.
Philander didn't do much with the bat during that series. His batting average was actually lower than his bowling average.

Shri

Mr. Glass
this sa batting order is unproven tstl

not one batter in the lineup who seems dangerous

will be a massive choke by us if we don't win this time

markram, elgar, klaasen, dussen are talented no doubt but they are also unproven

de kock is the only one with lots of experience and he blows hot and cold

i seriously fancy our chances

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

markram, elgar, klaasen, dussen are talented no doubt but they are also unproven

Elgar and Markram unproven?

But if we do play Klaasen and VDD in same team more problems than that!

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i mean elgar is a moderate upgrade on kl rahul and markram is peak rahane
You said they are unproven. Markram has clearly showed what he is capable of, but yes has not become consistent. Hopefully now at 26 with 20 odd tests under his belt he starts becoming consistent. Elgar has pretty much been the same player for the last 8 years. One of the few solid opening batsmen in the world.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Elgar and Markram unproven?
I was curious about their records in South Africa, and it turns out that they both average 46. So they definitely can't be written off.

But if we do play Klaasen and VDD in same team more problems than that!
Yep. It would take Petersen, Verreynne, and Rickelton all being crocked (or down with COVID) for Klaasen to have been called into the squad and that many injuries would be a concern.

Heboric

International Debutant
Do not see how 2000 vaccinated fans in an outdoor venue is a big risk. Reckon BCCI were scared and csa played lap dog as always.

The old boys commentary team is always dire. No chance of them making up for no crowd.
I was wondering the same, plus they are not playing in Durban so the locals wont get to emotional when they see team India.

But I guess CSA is so paranoid after England and Australia bailing out

Last edited:

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain

You didn't watch the sandpaper gate series? Markram is a different beast in SA. He sure has his struggles away but he is a solid bat in home conditions.
Elgar Markram Van der dussen are good enough players.. Sure I don't see them scoring big runs vs our bowling attack but in a low scoring shoot out like last time they have a shot to out bat us marginally. We have 3 passengers in middle order in the form of Kohli Pujara Rahane already