• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Kilowatt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Now that I've posted this, I'm sure Shardul will inevitably **** the bed.

But the man has put 2 MoM performances in 3 test matches and repeatedly rescued India when we looked dead and buried. Put some respect against the name.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It might sound weird but I think India miss Jadeja in South Africa more than they would anywhere else even though he's not that suited to the conditions. It really helps to have four seamers here and playing no spinner at all when you have such a good one is silly, so having a spinner being able to bat in the top seven comfortably is extra useful for team balance.

I know Thakur's looked pretty good with the bat in Tests so far, but having someone who averages ~17 in FC cricket bat #7 in unfamiliar conditions shouldn't fill anyone with confidence.

Hardik would've been useful here but he seems to have been in a permanent state of "not injured anymore but not fully fit yet" for like 18 months.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Shouldn't Ashwin be the most logical choice for VC? Yes, he's not a certain starter abroad (he should be for the rest of his career) but since it's a secondary leadership role anyway, they can stand to be flexible and give him the promotion.

Xix2565

International Regular
It's South Africa. Give Umesh a run. I love him.
He's competing for 3 spots with Shami, Bumrah, Ishant and Siraj. And I personally think they'll go with experience for now, and Shami/Bumrah/Ishant have done well here before in 2018.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
He's competing for 3 spots with Shami, Bumrah, Ishant and Siraj. And I personally think they'll go with experience for now, and Shami/Bumrah/Ishant have done well here before in 2018.
Ishant is not playing ahead of Umesh. Siraj & Umesh played 2nd test vs NZ recently. Umesh played ahead of Ishant vs England in Oval.
Bumrah Shami Siraj/Umesh is the preference list now. Ishant is 4th 5th one. I am assuming Kohli will play Siraj in Centurion coz of recent form & dude literally breathes fire.

Xix2565

International Regular
Ishant is not playing ahead of Umesh. Siraj & Umesh played 2nd test vs NZ recently. Umesh played ahead of Ishant vs England in Oval.
Bumrah Shami Siraj/Umesh is the preference list now. Ishant is 4th 5th one. I am assuming Kohli will play Siraj in Centurion coz of recent form & dude literally breathes fire.
I mean we'll see what happens, considering Ishant has struggled with being consistent in the England tour since he started strong but faded later (kind of like Siraj who played all 4 Tests vs Ishant's 2 at Lord's and Headingley) before getting rotated out. Even vs NZ Ishant started 1st game and Siraj came in for him in the 2nd game. It's not as cut and dry as you think, and Ishant's attributes and record isn't easily dismissed just because Umesh played last game. If anything preserving the Siraj/Ishant/Umesh trio throughout the series is probably the way to go since there's variety for the 3rd option and it'll keep them fresh.

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
I mean we'll see what happens, considering Ishant has struggled with being consistent in the England tour since he started strong but faded later (kind of like Siraj who played all 4 Tests vs Ishant's 2 at Lord's and Headingley) before getting rotated out. Even vs NZ Ishant started 1st game and Siraj came in for him in the 2nd game. It's not as cut and dry as you think, and Ishant's attributes and record isn't easily dismissed just because Umesh played last game. If anything preserving the Siraj/Ishant/Umesh trio throughout the series is probably the way to go since there's variety for the 3rd option and it'll keep them fresh.
Siraj was injured in first test.

Xix2565

International Regular
Siraj was injured in first test.
Doesn't exactly make him first choice though, like I said. I'd love it if Siraj plays, but I can also see why Ishant might get first crack as well, even if some of the posters here don't think he's worth the first shot.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
I am assuming Centurion is driest of all surfaces we are gonna get. So Siraj's reverse swing & Shami as well will be factor with old Kookaburra. Siraj Shami & Bumrah are 3 likeliest starters anyway. Kohli in PC also mentioned Siraj is on a roll these days. They won't surely a bench a in form pacer for someone like Ishant who has lost a lot of pace recently.
Umesh has performed well recently than hot n cold Ishant & he perhaps isn't too far from starting in playing XI if rotation happens.

Last edited: