• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Vast majority of cases are in the Gauteng province, which has both Johannesburg and Centurion in it-- two of the test venues.

Only Cape Town (the other scheduled venue) is away from that region.

So would make more sense to move the games to places like that, including Durban for example. Otherwise I see this series being in jeopardy. Why play in places where all the covid cases are? Even the bio bubble could have a breach and throw things into disarray during the series like we have seen recently.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Vast majority of cases are in the Gauteng province, which has both Johannesburg and Centurion in it-- two of the test venues.

So would make more sense to move the games to places like that, including Durban for example. Otherwise I see this series being in jeopardy. Why play in places where all the covid cases are? Even the bio bubble could have a breach and throw things into disarray during the series like we have seen recently.
Because gauteng and the western cape is best equipped in terms of facilities to host a bio bubble.

Gauteng has a lot more people living there so chances are the province will always have the most cases.

Both Pakistan and Sri Lanka tours in the last 12 months were done with bio bubbles in gauteng with no incidents.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Rabada Nortje Olivier... That trio has never played test cricket together I guess. Olivier single handedly destroyed Pakistan in 2019.
This is going to be a quality contest. There Won't be any crowds most likely which is a shame.
India has 2 back to back away Boxing day test wins.. Chance for a history in Centurion where no Asian team has ever won.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Rabada nortje Oliver v bumrah Siraj shami with ishant umesh as reserves. Should be a great contest.

Be interested to see india ditch the five bowler strategy and play the extra batsman in what should be bowler friendly conditions.

India have been extremely competitive on their last four tours and certainly had series winning opportunities in 2006,2010 and 2017 but couldn't cross the line.
This could be their time though provided they don't play both the duds (rahane and pujara). VIhari must play given he will be highly acclimatised.
Sa have a good attack but their batting has genuine weaknesses imo.

Chrish

International Debutant
How good is current SA side? I admit I haven’t followed them for last couple of years after senior players retired. Just saw result of their recent series and looks like they have debuted their young batsmen like what was suggested in SA discussion thread. Hoping for a competitive series.

Hope Kohli won’t do something foolish like leaving out Ashwin this time.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
How good is current SA side? I admit I haven’t followed them for last couple of years after senior players retired. Just saw result of their recent series and looks like they have debuted their young batsmen like what was suggested in SA discussion thread. Hoping for a competitive series.

Hope Kohli won’t do something foolish like leaving out Ashwin this time.
Bowling is very good, rabada was back at his best last time they played, nortje was lille/thommo vs england levels of vicious and the kolpak players like oliver are back in contention, good spin stocks in linde and maharaj aswell. Batting is bit more shaky, makram has been in godlike form recently and quinny carried them in the windies series, but could very easily see india skittling them with the quality of there bowling. Strikes me as a 2019 ashes eque situation where we have 2 very good bowling lineups and 2 sus batting lineups bar a few quality bats in bowler-friendly conditions, really comes down to which side has someone have a smudge/kohli in england type series.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Kohli will probably be relieved at the sight of not a lot of swing & no spinner bowling at him. He can handle pace n bounce. Gill is another player who is suited on such tracks. Indian playing XI is still a bit of mystery

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli will probably be relieved at the sight of not a lot of swing & no spinner bowling at him. He can handle pace n bounce. Gill is another player who is suited on such tracks. Indian playing XI is still a bit of mystery
?!

I also expect plenty of seam movement.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
?!

I also expect plenty of seam movement.
He probably will handle it as no dukes ball here. Philander was quite good at exploiting his weakness. Rabada Nortje are mostly all pace. Olivier extracts bounce. Rest of the batting may struggle but strangely Kohli will fancy facing such a attack.

Dendarii

International Debutant

The cases might be in Gauteng now, but that could change by the time the tour actually happens. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to schedule the matches based on how the virus is going to spread, so they're going to have to trust in the bio bubble. And apart from their very first one against England, South Africa's got a good track record in setting up bubbles.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Yeah I think the England incident really forced SA to up their Bio-bubble measures. I live in the more coastal region of KZN but the cases here have seen a super exponential rise(I think this is the mathematical term,haven't written a maths exam in years).

But at the end of the day you can't catch covid if you aren't exposed to it,so if both teams honor the bubbles then the series should go ahead fine. The SL series as mentioned was played in the height of the second wave in SA where we had no vaccines available. Here's hoping we get some good cricket.

Definitely going to be a battle of the batsman. Both teams have good bowlers but SA really don't know who their top 7 is at present. Really hope we don't see Bavuma popping up at 5.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At this stage we don't know, but considering the increasing infection rate it is highly unlikely there will be spectators allowed by end of Dec. I think we should just be happy to get the test matches and hope there is no bio-bubble breaches.