• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 30 batsmen of the modern era (1990s -Current)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he is rated pretty highly over here and by the blokes who played against him.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For a bloke who only averaged 37 Ijaz Ahmed has a surprisingly impressive centuries to tests ratio - one every 5 tests - better than Joe Root for example.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And here is the list of players with most hundreds in major Subcontinent nations since 1990. I limited to non SC players because SC players were dominating the list even with away/neutral filter. First thing you would notice is there are far fewer games for visitors in SC than in SENA.

1626329122186.png

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Rating Younis Khan above Dravid is something that's really troubling me, the guy has 5 centuries in SENA, 4 of them I saw live, the conditions were totally in his favour, I think he is probably the weakest ATG batsman against swing or seam.
The one in south africa came on a subcontinent style track, so much so that even Graeme Smith complained about it in the post match ceremony.
The one against Australia was on a featherbed.
The one against england at leeds was when both sides scored 550+
And the last one was at oval which although was a great innings but obviously it was oval, the pitch most suited to Khan's style of batting, he didn't score any runs in the series apart from that match.

OverratedSanity

You can write off any great innings like that.
"Dravid's innings at adelaide was against a 2nd string attack so it doesnt count even though he rescued india from 80-4 trailing by 500"

"dravid's 148 at leeds was in an innings where India scored 600 even though he was the one who weathered nightmare conditions"

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
You can write off any great innings like that.
"Dravid's innings at adelaide was against a 2nd string attack so it doesnt count even though he rescued india from 80-4 trailing by 500"

"dravid's 148 at leeds was in an innings where India scored 600 even though he was the one who weathered nightmare conditions"
Yeah don't count them I will give you many others which you can actually count.
I am just trying to say that I have never seen YK battling it out in tough conditions which don't suit him. I never said that he didn't play any great innings. It's kinda like Sehwag. I rate them as equals.

Bolo.

International Captain
Was looking at most hundreds in SENA for a non-home player since 1990. Surprised to see that Kohli is #2 in just 33 tests. Somehow his poor run in last 2 years has cast a shadow on his good showings before (at least in my head).

View attachment 28552
That is a ridiculous percentage of bats near the top of the list averaging mid 40s.

Slifer

International Captain
It's a damn shame that WI have been so pathetic, otherwise they could probably have their own category. Either way, I'd say from 1990 til around '00 batting in the WI was still a challenge then a gap of absolute filth. Then from the emergence of Holder/Roach/Gabriel (whenever that began), it's been somewhat challenging again (obviously not on par with SENA).

OverratedSanity

Batting in WI is more a challenge of facing the random minefield pitch from time to time like 98/06 sabina park than the bowling lineup. Otherwise yeah there was a good 15 year gap where the bowling lineup wasnt good.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It was also extremely attritional cricket in Windies from what I recall in the noughties, Lara rising above conditions aside.

Slifer

International Captain
west indian pitches are often pretty fair tbh, as plenty of touring batsmen have discovered to their loss even in the west indies more modest era.
Traditionally 80s-90s:
QPO uneven bounce, bowler friendly
ARG:Flat, batsmans paradise
Bourda: ditto
Sabina: Fast bowlers dream
Kensington: varied but usually fast bowlers paradise

Of course there were series where there were exceptions to the above. And post 2000 or so, most of these grounds either got replaced or became slow.