• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Greatest Fast Bowlers of All Time in Tests?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone is of course entitled to rank players how they wish. But when you have a fast bowler who is superior in every facet of the art to another but you rank him lower because there's another decent bowler in the same team it's likely to stand out as one of the more unusual methods.

Migara

International Coach
Maybe not, given that he probably won't have access to a lot of things he took for granted. A good diet, access to facilities, protective gear when he himself comes out to bat, lots of infections and no anti-biotics, arriving at the touring place after sitting weeks twiddling thumbs in a ship etc.
Don't thin Marshall as a kid enjoyed living standards of UK of 60s. Rather Carribean was about 30 - 40 years back from Europe. So the difference is not as much as perceived.

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
There's a lot of doubt. Take Warne away completely and McGrath doesn't come out even an iota worse off

even just looking at his stats in the games Warne didn't play his average is virtually the same.

Similar to your reasoning for not rating Wasim & Imran, looks to me like you've clearly decided which ones you like and come up with reasons to justify it as an afterthought, rather than the opposite as you claim. Though tbf most people are probably doing the same thing but they're just more subtle about it.
There is no personnel preference what so ever when I pick these players. I just go based on logics that makes sense to me.They can go wrong too
and if proven wrong I wholeheartedly accept that too. I went thru with a bit deeper analysis of Mcgrath's bowling and I was a bit wrong it seems.
Mcgrath with or with out Warne was more or less as effective. But still there is no doubt that Mcgrath benefitted a bit from being a part of a great team. Again when ever Warne was not there, Macgill almost ensured that his absence was not felt though Macgill was at least a level below Warne.
W.R.T those 3 PAK bowlers, it was quite a lot easier to decide though. No stats analysis was required. Just going thru the testimonies of various game associated personalities was enough. So again no personnel like or dislike here too.

All in all , my TOP 10 gets a bit updated like the below.

1.Curtley Ambrose - Nasty, fastness, adequate longevity, great record against the best team of his era, uniform record in all countries and yet a mammoth average of 20.99 ...such a complete fast bowler.
2. Richard Hadlee - lone warrior, great longevity, well rounded record in all nations
3. Glenn Mcgrath - Mammoth longevity, uniform record
4. Dale Steyn - great longevity, performed in a relatively batting friendly era
5. Shaun Pollock - great longevity , well rounded record in all nations, was well below his standard against best team of his era.
6. Allan Donald - well rounded record in all nations , lacks adequate longevity
7. Malcolm Marshall - statistically has the best average, posses a uniform record etc , but being in the company of other 3 great fast bowlers helped him a lot.
8. Joel Garner - one of the greatest averages ever for a fast bowler , such amazing uniformity , but lacks adequate longevity . Also being a part of such a strong bowling unit helped him a lot.
9. Courtney Walsh - such amazing longevity & uniform record, was below par against the best team of his era though.
10. James Anderson - completely turned it upside down in this relatively batting friendly era ,has a stretch of 460 wkts @23.93
11. Bob Willis - had enough longevity for the era he played in, had great uniformity, but was below par against the best team of his era.

Migara

International Coach
There is no personnel preference what so ever when I pick these players. I just go based on logics that makes sense to me.They can go wrong too
and if proven wrong I wholeheartedly accept that too. I went thru with a bit deeper analysis of Mcgrath's bowling and I was a bit wrong it seems.
Mcgrath with or with out Warne was more or less as effective. But still there is no doubt that Mcgrath benefitted a bit from being a part of a great team. Again when ever Warne was not there, Macgill almost ensured that his absence was not felt though Macgill was at least a level below Warne.
W.R.T those 3 PAK bowlers, it was quite a lot easier to decide though. No stats analysis was required. Just going thru the testimonies of various game associated personalities was enough. So again no personnel like or dislike here too.

All in all , my TOP 10 gets a bit updated like the below.

1.Curtley Ambrose - Nasty, fastness, adequate longevity, great record against the best team of his era, uniform record in all countries and yet a mammoth average of 20.99 ...such a complete fast bowler.
2. Richard Hadlee - lone warrior, great longevity, well rounded record in all nations
3. Glenn Mcgrath - Mammoth longevity, uniform record
4. Dale Steyn - great longevity, performed in a relatively batting friendly era
5. Shaun Pollock - great longevity , well rounded record in all nations, was well below his standard against best team of his era.
6. Allan Donald - well rounded record in all nations , lacks adequate longevity
7. Malcolm Marshall - statistically has the best average, posses a uniform record etc , but being in the company of other 3 great fast bowlers helped him a lot.
8. Joel Garner - one of the greatest averages ever for a fast bowler , such amazing uniformity , but lacks adequate longevity . Also being a part of such a strong bowling unit helped him a lot.
9. Courtney Walsh - such amazing longevity & uniform record, was below par against the best team of his era though.
10. James Anderson - completely turned it upside down in this relatively batting friendly era ,has a stretch of 460 wkts @23.93
11. Bob Willis - had enough longevity for the era he played in, had great uniformity, but was below par against the best team of his era.
No Wasim, imran or Waqar. What a joke.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
the point Migara (and many others) are making is that Barnes' stats are skewed by early 1900s South Africa. Why don't you respond to that instead of weird head to heads?
Barnes' stats may be skewed by his performances in 7 Tests against South Africa but his 20 Tests against Australia yielded 106 wickets @ 21.58 which still places him high on many (incuding Bradman's) ratings.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barnes' stats may be skewed by his performances in 7 Tests against South Africa but his 20 Tests against Australia yielded 106 wickets @ 21.58 which still places him high on many (incuding Bradman's) ratings.
Not a special record, particularly. The following is the record of bowlers during 1900-1914 against England or Australia. Barnes with a lot of 5-fers but that also means he had many innings where he didn't do that much.

1623807648011.png