• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Greatest Fast Bowlers of All Time in Tests?

Gob

International Coach
I think it has more to do with the fact that the subcontinent hasn't produced much fast bowling talent outside Imran and the two Ws. This means that Indian and Sri Lankan fans are a lot more objective about fast bowlers and that SENA fans are judging more on a level playing field.

The problem with batting agreement is that ideal batting conditions are far more origin-dependent than anything else. Sangakkara was a beast in Sri Lanka and merely very good in Australia. Ponting was a monster in Australia but couldn't buy a run in India. So people tend to over rate the players that suit their home countries and under rate those who don't perform as well in those conditions.

A great example is Hayden. He's a player who averaged over 50, scored more hundreds after the age of 30 than any other batsman, scored more hundreds in his first 50 tests than virtually any other batsman and yet many people rate him more like Gordon Greenidge than Sunil Gavaskar as an opener. Or for that matter, take Allan Border and compare him to Viv Richards. The vast majority rate Viv way more highly despite averaging less than Border and having played against relatively easier attacks and having a stronger team around him.

For that matter, it's interesting to see on here the different ratings of Viv and Greenidge compared to Hayden and Ponting. Both pairs of players have a lot in common - both played for the strongest sides of the era, Greenidge and Hayden were both openers who truly flourished with their favourite opening partner, all were aggressive batsmen who favoured pace bowling and yet there seems to be more legend built up around Viv and Greenidge than Hayden and Ponting.

Pakistani batsmen also seem to be criminally underrated by many. Younis Khan in particular gets virtually completely ignored even though he is statistically up there with the likes of Dravid.

The truth is that batsmen require consistency to be seen as good while bowlers, particularly pace bowlers, can leave a lasting impression with a few magical spells that run through your side.
kewl

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
i'm undecided on wether i need to approach this the traditional way so i ask, there are five lists put together on this page alone and every single one has lillee on them so why did you specifically picked mine for this response?
My guess would be because yours just happened to be first. But I wouldn’t feel too much urgency to address the views of someone posting on a cricket forum laughing at the idea of Dennis Lillee being a great fast bowler.

Gob

International Coach
My guess would be because yours just happened to be first. But I wouldn’t feel too much urgency to address the views of someone posting on a cricket forum laughing at the idea of Dennis Lillee being a great fast bowler.
Yeah i was initially going to ask how it is so laughable to hold a bowler, who has 350 wickets under 24 with one of the best wpm ratios, universally acclaimed by almost all the great batsmen of that era as the best they have faced, inspired a generation of fast bowlers that followed, bowled many many memorable and match defining spells and basically remodeled his bowling style in his mid twenties, in such a high esteem but of course 3 tests in Pakistan going to be the angle so **** it.

Migara

International Coach
i'm undecided on wether i need to approach this the traditional way so i ask, there are five lists put together on this page alone and every single one has lillee on them so why did you specifically picked mine for this response?
May be because yours was the first to appear?

Migara

International Coach
Lillee is a good to great fast bowler. All Time Great? Not at all. In that case Rajesh Chauhan or Venkathapathy Raju Should be the best spinner of the 90s, and Jadeja and Ashwin should be ATG spinners too.

ATG pacemen should have success everywhere, not only on green tracks.

Migara

International Coach
Code:
Marshall
McGrath
Hadlee
Steyn
Imran
Ambrose
Garner
Wasim
Waqar
Trueman
If any one thinks Lillee is better than any of the above ten, can give reasons (other than subjective drivel of course)!

Gob

International Coach
Lillee is a good to great fast bowler. All Time Great? Not at all. In that case Rajesh Chauhan or Venkathapathy Raju Should be the best spinner of the 90s, and Jadeja and Ashwin should be ATG spinners too.

I assume this is related to Lillee's record in Pakistan so question

Dont you think Lillee's record against Pakistan was a one off thing and he could have excelled in Pakistan and the sub continent in general if he had more opportunities? You could argue Lillee had all the tools say Hadlee had and we know how successful Hadlee was and 3 tests after all is very sample sized. Or you down right believe that Lillee could have continued to struggle in Pakistan and his skill set was not enough to over come the challenge posed by those conditions?

No need of descriptive answers a simple one would suffice.

Flem274*

123/5
mcgrath
marshall
hadlee
steyn
ambrose
imran
garner
lindwall
lillee
donald
trueman

confident on the top 4-5. rest are pretty interchangeable. garner might be high to some, but he's the goat 3rd seamer. it's easy to look good with a new rock. try the old one.

best during my watching time

mcgrath
steyn
harris
cummins
shoiab
bond
pollock
philander
bumrah
wagner

people are going to hate how high i have the short careers of harris, shoiab, bond and bumrah or the presence of two mostly 3rd seamers in cummins and wagner and idc. real life selection shows you pick ryan harris over peter siddle and shane bond over chris martin every single time and world class third seamers are a lot rarer than someone who can move a new kookaburra.

edit - i did forget broad and anderson tbh. they can slot in for bumrash and wags. philander probably slides to #10.

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Fast bowlers known for their monikers : (in no particular order)

Whispering Death
The Menace
Typhoon
The Sultans of Swing
Haryana Hurricane
Burewala Bombshell
The Demon bowler
Fiery
Big Bird
Thommo

I'm sure there are others....

Jack1

International Debutant
Starting with Sydney Barnes made it difficult as I had to consider all eras. Considering his wickets per game and average he is arguably the greatest seamer in the history of the game. You also have seamers like Ferris, Turner, Spofforth, Higgs and Whitty to consider in a top 10 if you go down that rabbit hole. I made it "modern era" as a result or I would have to go into too much detail to form a comparison and justification for each pick.

Wasn't sure on the order yet but this is the top 10 I ended up with.

Hadlee
Cummins
Marshall
Trueman
Garner
McGrath
Donald
Imran Khan
Ambrose
Steyn

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant

Yet you rank Anderson as ATG. His away avg is 31.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Code:
Marshall
McGrath
Hadlee
Steyn
Imran
Ambrose
Garner
Wasim
Waqar
Trueman
If any one thinks Lillee is better than any of the above ten, can give reasons (other than subjective drivel of course)!
You're the one with the opinion that needs justification. Everyone else recognises Lillee was a genius, so you have to justify why he wasn't, given that's your position.

Migara

International Coach
I assume this is related to Lillee's record in Pakistan so question

Dont you think Lillee's record against Pakistan was a one off thing and he could have excelled in Pakistan and the sub continent in general if he had more opportunities? You could argue Lillee had all the tools say Hadlee had and we know how successful Hadlee was and 3 tests after all is very sample sized. Or you down right believe that Lillee could have continued to struggle in Pakistan and his skill set was not enough to over come the challenge posed by those conditions?

No need of descriptive answers a simple one would suffice.
Could very well be. Then his record in West Indies and against minnow Sri Lanka, and conveniently not touring India stacks heavily against what to suggest.

Migara

International Coach
You're the one with the opinion that needs justification. Everyone else recognises Lillee was a genius, so you have to justify why he wasn't, given that's your position.
Very simple. He excelled only on helpful tracks. Awful performances in WI, PAK and SL.