• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Wrestling Finisher

Aritro

International Regular
Stepping away from my mediocre trolls about Hulk Hogan for a sec, I've always loved the aesthetics of the surfboard finisher.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
True of all moves, no?
Yeah true but it's particularly the case for moves that require a lot of cooperation from the guy taking it I think. Not so bad when you're someone like Brock Lesnar and can just throw people around at will (i.e. and essentially make them sell it)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The sharpshooter as applied by Bret was really, really great.

Looked dire when the Rock did it though.
Bret was a true artist in the ring, wasn't he? As a kid I grew up marking out over him like everyone else, but then over time you realize just how much thought there was behind everything he did in the ring. The way he broke down his opponent in predictable progression, his ring positioning, how his body language changed as the match wore on (subtle things like how his mouth would hang open as if he was sucking in desperate quantities of air). No playing to the galleries, just a surgeon with his scalpel going about work.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Bret was a true artist in the ring, wasn't he? As a kid I grew up marking out over him like everyone else, but then over time you realize just how much thought there was behind everything he did in the ring. The way he broke down his opponent in predictable progression, his ring positioning, how his body language changed as the match wore on (subtle things like how his mouth would hang open as if he was sucking in desperate quantities of air). No playing to the galleries, just a surgeon with his scalpel going about work.
Indeed, it's those little things like how realistically he'd recoil from being whipped into the corner buckle that made him so special. It only added to his charm that he only performed his handful of moves but did all of them so ****ing well. He allowed you to momentarily get sucked into the contest where winning really mattered unlike a lot of other great performers who didn't have the same intensity because they were transparently, even in kayfabe, trying to put on the best show possible for the crowd.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Indeed, it's those little things like how realistically he'd recoil from being whipped into the corner buckle that made him so special. It only added to his charm that he only performed his handful of moves but did all of them so ****ing well. He allowed you to momentarily get sucked into the contest where winning really mattered unlike a lot of other great performers who didn't have the same intensity because they were transparently, even in kayfabe, trying to put on the best show possible for the crowd.
Can say very similar things about HHH tbh. Not that I'm saying HHH is/was as good as Bret was (he isn't/wasn't imo), but this is an underrated aspect of his game (no pun intended).

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Can say very similar things about HHH tbh. Not that I'm saying HHH is/was as good as Bret was (he isn't/wasn't imo), but this is an underrated aspect of his game (no pun intended).
HHH was very good indeed. Always felt he punched above his weight, no pun intended either. He started off as a genuine mid-carder lookwise and talentwise but through all his machinations behind-the-scenes or whatever you want to call his penchant for staying close to the powers-that-be, he actually continued learning about the business and his craft too, so much so he was a legitimate entity in his own right by the early 00s.

Bret, Eddie, Benoit, and Kurt Angle would be my absolute favorites in terms of how they commanded the ring. Have only kept up with modern wrestling in fits and starts, but would you say AJ Styles despite all his pyrotechnics came closest to that pedigree? Also, are there other extant wrestlers, in the Anglosphere or otherwise, in a similar vein, or is that style pretty much DOA these days?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
HHH was very good indeed. Always felt he punched above his weight, no pun intended either. He started off as a genuine mid-carder lookwise and talentwise but through all his machinations behind-the-scenes or whatever you want to call his penchant for staying close to the powers-that-be, he actually continued learning about the business and his craft too, so much so he was a legitimate entity in his own right by the early 00s.

Bret, Eddie, Benoit, and Kurt Angle would be my absolute favorites in terms of how they commanded the ring. Have only kept up with modern wrestling in fits and starts, but would you say AJ Styles despite all his pyrotechnics came closest to that pedigree? Also, are there other extant wrestlers, in the Anglosphere or otherwise, in a similar vein, or is that style pretty much DOA these days?
AJ definitely a good shout, but excellent as he is, I would say he is still a cut below the four you mention there. Would still love to have seen him have a match with any of them though. Same for Daniel Bryan as well.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
Another person of which this is true is Kurt Angle, who, unlike HHH, perhaps was as good as Bret was, or maybe even better.
Interesting. I think I'd have them as Bret > Angle > HHH without needing to think too much about it. And pretty much for the reasons Arachnodouce outlined above; in particular because Bret's selling and storytelling is on such a high level. I agree Angle brings a lot of intensity (ha) but I don't think he is such a craftsman as Bret and would sometimes sacrifice realism/logic in his matches for more action (which definitely isn't always a problem in wrestling, but Bret was a master at maintaining both).

Like you I've only watched wrestling in 'fits and starts' for years, but I'll second sledger's suggestion above and say Daniel Bryan is the current wrestler you're after. I think he's just as good as the guys you mention. From what I've seen AJ seems pretty obviously great to me too, but I've seen a lot less of him, and stylistically he's a bit different. I reckon you'd enjoy Cesaro too.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Indeed, it's those little things like how realistically he'd recoil from being whipped into the corner buckle that made him so special.
Just on this little aside, who better to contrast him with than Shawn? HBK would receive the post with that ridiculous Three Stooges-like flip. Bret on the other hand would approach the corner headfirst, accelerate a little, and receive it flush on the chest. On the surface, both were trying to sell their opponent's strength, but HBK, as was his wont, was also trying to crowd himself into the spotlight, while Bret did his bit to make his opponent look good in a realistic manner.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Interesting. I think I'd have them as Bret > Angle > HHH without needing to think too much about it. And pretty much for the reasons Arachnodouce outlined above; in particular because Bret's selling and storytelling is on such a high level. I agree Angle brings a lot of intensity (ha) but I don't think he is such a craftsman as Bret and would sometimes sacrifice realism/logic in his matches for more action (which definitely isn't always a problem in wrestling, but Bret was a master at maintaining both).

Like you I've only watched wrestling in 'fits and starts' for years, but I'll second sledger's suggestion above and say Daniel Bryan is the current wrestler you're after. I think he's just as good as the guys you mention. From what I've seen AJ seems pretty obviously great to me too, but I've seen a lot less of him, and stylistically he's a bit different. I reckon you'd enjoy Cesaro too.
Overall I think I would agree, but I think in some respects it is closer than some might suggest. All three are/were excellent at selling and telling stories through the use of facial expressions etc.