• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 13 - 17 Feb 2021

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Oooooof, I was having a great night and haven't checked the cricket at all. Get home and have a look......well that's taken the wind out of my sails ffs

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Classic batting with the pressure off here.

England to try this approach in the second innings and be out for 60 or something.
The problem seems to be that your batsmen have been spooked, mostly by good bowling, especially Ash but also by the puffs of dust. You cant make the mistake that the pitch is just the top layer alone. I remember once an absolute green top looking pitch was rolled out in Mohali against NZ but the below layer was soft as hell. Once the top surface wore off after the first two days, it became such a low and flat "bat for draw" deck. We got bowled out on day 1 for 80 odd and then made a BIG score in the 3rd innings and it became a dull draw. Play based on how the pitch is behaving, not based on how its looking.

The English media whinging has been so good to see though.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Ashwin was bowling to Burgey in the subcontinent I wonder what his plan would be to negate the turn/bounce? TOTAB at the non-strikers end of course
Based on Indian posters here who say these pitches are conplete roads, I’d probably take a stump out with me.

Seriously, I would hope I’d last about four balls given he’s got 300 plus test wickets and I have precisely zero test runs, but I think it would try to play him off the back foot a fair bit.

mostly because my knees are ****ed so I can’t sweep, and also on the old premise that while dancing down the track is usually referred to as using your feet, going back to spinners is just as important, especially if the bounce is consistent

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Classic batting with the pressure off here.

England to try this approach in the second innings and be out for 60 or something.
Yeah, it's not so hard when you're 200 ahead and you know your side hold all the aces. But probably unfair for anyone to call it downhill skiing after his knock in the first innings.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The team losing the toss had to make the first innings a battle of attrition and you have to give Rohit credit for not letting the England bowlers settle. 300 on the first day was pretty much game over. But 134 is still lame on this pitch on day two.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Based on Indian posters here who say these pitches are conplete roads, I’d probably take a stump out with me.

Seriously, I would hope I’d last about four balls given he’s got 300 plus test wickets and I have precisely zero test runs, but I think it would try to play him off the back foot a fair bit.

mostly because my knees are ****ed so I can’t sweep, and also on the old premise that while dancing down the track is usually referred to as using your feet, going back to spinners is just as important, especially if the bounce is consistent
The thing about playing against Ashwin is that if you survive a few balls on such tracks, he is gonna start doing stupid experimentation stuff. Foakes got the benefit of that. Pope did that a bit too. Till then, just take an off stump guard as a rightie, get the LBW out of play, and just look to defend and stay at the wicket and make him bowl 7 overs or so without a wicket. You can bet you will get 4 balls often enough after that.