• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 13 - 17 Feb 2021

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pitch wahhhing when we’re winning on a turner is one of the most predictable things ever.
Yeah, be like moaning about cloud cover in England and being skittled. Not complaining about this one but it probably is a poor pitch which is doing ridiculous stuff earlier than it perhaps should have but Rohit yesterday won the match with a brilliant innings.

Spark

Global Moderator
I just don't see the consistent rationale behind calling this a "poor pitch" that can be applied evenly and universally to all pitches. Is it dangerous? Is skill no longer the prevailing factor in determining results? Is it all purely luck? I think the answer to these three questions is clearly "no", so play on IMO.

flibbertyjibber

i don't really get why england are so reluctant to play broad and anderson together overseas. if they're similar bowlers then all right arm fast medium bowlers in test cricket are the same.

in saying that, stone was good. he has a future.
They are looking at the bigger picture given the amount of tests we have this year. Bet both play the next test which is a day/night match. We can all argue about what they are doing but at least we can see they have a plan even if we don't agree with it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Moeen's looseness gave India at least 50 runs more than they should have directly and probably a lot more indirectly because of how difficult he made it to build pressure. He wasn't, like, terrible, but it's a fair proposition to believe that Bess's control would have been better on balance. Not that we'll ever know.
This sounds reasonable to me. He was brought in to do a better job than Bess had been doing, and he wasn't able to do that; despite having more favourable conditions than Bess faced in the first innings of the first test. Not really Moeen's fault that he's rusty as hell, or even that he's been out of sorts for ages. But if we're going to pick someone because they used to be good, we may as well have recalled Swann. All that being said, I hope that he isn't scape-goated for this result. We were probably toast when we lost the toss on this pitch.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Moeen's looseness gave India at least 50 runs more than they should have directly and probably a lot more indirectly because of how difficult he made it to build pressure. He wasn't, like, terrible, but it's a fair proposition to believe that Bess's control would have been better on balance. Not that we'll ever know.
Bess has really not been that bowler for most this winter, has bowled a ton of bad balls but also taken a lot of wickets.

Daemon

It’s purely the mirror image of Indian supporters bitching last week about the same venue
I can’t see how anyone who’s seen both games thinks that the toss had an equal or bigger part to play in this test. Not even close.

There’s an advantage batting first here for sure but it had enough for bowlers on D1 for it to be not as big a factor.

flibbertyjibber

This sounds reasonable to me. He was brought in to do a better job than Bess had been doing, and he wasn't able to do that; despite having more favourable conditions than Bess faced in the first innings of the first test. Not really Moeen's fault that he's rusty as hell, or even that he's been out of sorts for ages. But if we're going to pick someone because they used to be good, we may as well have recalled Swann. All that being said, I hope that he isn't scape-goated for this result. We were probably toast when we lost the toss on this pitch.
Bess is probably a better bat these days too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Why am I not surprised that the same level of idiocy is displayed on twitter by Vaughan, KP and Warne as it is here by Burgey and Social? Burgey is probably angry he has to live in the ass of the world map but **** off if you think this pitch is not good. Consistent turn, bounce and pace. If you cant play spin, dont play cricket, ****s.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Pitch wahhhing when we’re winning on a turner is one of the most predictable things ever.
would be funny if these ****s whinged about a proper turner

this is the perfect indian pitch that has moderate assistance for spinners throughout

good bounce and predictable turn

no balls that keep low or shoot through at ankle height

****ers should learn to play spin when its bowled by skillful spinners

batsmen can attack if they're good enough like pant and rohit showed us

batsmen can play a patient innings like rahane showed us and foakes is showing us right now

clueless ****s are going to be clueless tbh

Spark

Global Moderator
would be funny if these ****s whinged about a proper turner

this is the perfect indian pitch that has moderate assistance for spinners throughout

good bounce and predictable turn

no balls that keep low or shoot through at ankle height

****ers should learn to play spin when its bowled by skillful spinners

batsmen can attack if they're good enough like pant and rohit showed us

batsmen can play a patient innings like rahane showed us and foakes is showing us right now

clueless ****s are going to be clueless tbh
Right I think the Bengaluru pitch in 2017 that we played on was muuuch worse than this, balls were shooting along the ground from the start and it only got worse as it went on; a whole bunch of dismissals were squarely in the "no real skill involved, just luck" category. But I still think that was an okay - if not great - Test pitch and certainly a very enjoyable Test match. Sure as hell beats 550 vs 400.