• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sack Langer

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pattinson is a very unlucky guy. Spends years in and out with injury and now that he's fit can't get a test and is perennially 4th in line.
Didn't he do his hip falling in his house or something? Don't think he was actually available for this test or the last one.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I remember reading an article somewhere before or early on in the series where somebody asked that given the various technical and tactical failings, what do our coaches actually do? For 'coaching' does not appear to be part of their current activities.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
"Wadey, Painey and Heady are real fighters! They'll scrap it out against the best in the business, and they're just fantastic at making the best of their ability by nailing the one percenters" "I know Greeny hasn't taken a test wicket yet but I'm predicting he's going to get stuck into the South Africans and make life real uncomfortable for them" (J Langer, 2021)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Khawaja or Langer?
Referring to Flower. While Langer certainly doesn't seem to be disliked (for some reason) they're similar in that they manage to be in some position, even just an informal relationship, that gives them influence. for example Flower's position as 'technical director' and Lions coach. Aside from simply being an ingrate in the cricketing establishment Langer stood in for Lehmann for a bit in '16 and was in some advisory role or another.

stephen

"Wadey, Painey and Heady are real fighters! They'll scrap it out against the best in the business, and they're just fantastic at making the best of their ability by nailing the one percenters" "I know Greeny hasn't taken a test wicket yet but I'm predicting he's going to get stuck into the South Africans and make life real uncomfortable for them" (J Langer, 2021)
Yeah I don't want them to scrap it out... I want them to score runs, take wickets and win cricket matches. For a guy who was in our best side ever, Langer certainly is a low altitude flyer.

Starfighter

I just saw a headline with Langer saying that Pant reminded him of Stokes at Headingley. Funny because both matches showed up Paine's tactical cluelessness and indiscipline of the bowlers. Both times Paine let the match drift with an overuse of short ball tactics and an inability to defend. While I didn't see the denouement at Headingley I knew we were in some trouble when Cummins took the new ball and immediately started bowling short and wide.

At no point did the coach or any other the other brains trust think it necessary to ferry down a message to Paine, nor does there seem to have been any admission that the tactics were wrong.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think this series has been the culmination of all of Langer's follies. All the selectorial, tactical and technical blunders finally demanded their recognition. I once posted saying our bowlers are overrated. I'll walk that back and agree with a subsequent post by Stephen saying they don't have a plan B and lack discipline. Which means they aren't getting the right tactical advice at crucial times. And so we get the Stokes miracle, the failure to win at Sydney and the first loss at the gabbatoir for a long while. It takes a special negative talent to limit the effectiveness of such a talented bowling quartet.

I also expect coaches to be able to detect and improve technical weaknesses in batsman. Instead we see Harris and Burns turn up as the same flawed players whenever its their turn to get picked again. It was clear Burns shouldn't have played this summer. Instead we hear bilge about loyalty and all he needs is backing and he'll come good. Then he gets an easy 50 in a small chase and the idiots congratulate themselves "see; all he needed was a pep talk. Those who've played tests understand." Then they drop him after the next test anyway ... Meanwhile Warner goes down injured, Puc's selection delayed again and our next best opening option in Khawaja is not even considered.

Tactically, technically and in selections Langer has made too many mistakes. And to repeat he seems to be a bridle on our bowlers. If the position of coach is necessary then it has to have some accountability. In the areas where you'd expect a coach to own Langer just hasn't achieved. I agree he should be sacked after this loss.

harsh.ag

Maybe a contrarian view, idk:

Have been thinking a bit about this and I don't think the Aussie pacers' bowling plans were bad yesterday. Watching the game, I remember thinking the full deliveries were all mostly put away easily or for runs. The pitch wasn't giving the bowlers much in terms of movement and swing wasn't available. Pant, esp, was driving beautifully. Most of the balls which did trouble the Indian batsmen where short ones. It's easy to forget how many close calls India got in their favour. Luck had a part to play.

And, if you listen to the Indian bowlers this test (the debutants, at least), they said in their interview "I bowled this line and this way because that was the plan we had discussed."

So, I don't think it was also so much about having a Plan-B as such. Yes, that may have been helpful if there was a good plan B available but I don't think "bowl more full deliveries" was a viable one, at least yesterday. More part timers, maybe.

May be mistaken, though.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Langer plays this big brother in the current Australian side where he says there is some holistic environment for every player to evolve and grow, however apart from Marnus Labuschagne not a single new player has been nurtured during his tenure.

He has an ancient blueprint for white ball cricket a format he even often skips (despite Aus sucking at the format ) and mostly he gives the reigns of white ball team to Andrew McDonald, who comes across someone even more clueless.

Everything has been done to nullify proven domestic performers like Khawjah, Short, Carey, Zampa, Maxwell to name a few.

He either needs to go or drastically change his ways.