• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sack Langer

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bowling punches below its weight from time to time. Still a good attack, mind but they don't have that extra something NZ and India (full strength) have, at least if we're comparing both at home. Might just be damning with faint praise but sometimes they can look without solid plans. Of course, 36 ao is a fine example of when it will comes together.

On paper Australia is a team that's 3 players away from being truly special but for some reason they've under-delivered relative to that. Bad batting is key obv and I'm with Stephen and Starfighter as to why.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah the 36 was as statistical oddity as India 4th innings SCG, in both extremes in terms of luck for India. While at Adelaid every false shot seemed to fetch a wicket, it was polar opposite at SCG. So I think the overall avg of bowlers in this series is indeed a fair indicator of how they have performed and Aus pacers, esp Cummins and Haselhoff have done enough to merit their standing as Premier bowlers in the world.

Can't say that about Starch or Lyon tbh.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Starc was elite with the new ball in the first two tests. Lyon has bowled better than his figures suggest as well.

They only fell flat twice imo - the first for a period in Melbourne in the first innings and of course the second innings at the SCG. Both times a lot of it had to do with chances going down.

Overall as an attack they've been excellent, even by their own standards.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
You know the sensitivity ... our bowling isn’t a problem. I just think it’s over rated and isnt the best attack in decades or whatever. It’s reliant on Cummins. Yep great achievement with a pink ball on magic mushrooms and an Adelaide pitch still zipping on day 3 but a banged up India did just bat out time quite recently and have been doing so without their best player. As they did on their last tour as well.
Yeah I agree for the most part. Just think it needs freshening up with looking at other options i.e Neser, Abbott, Richardson (when fit)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The bowling attack is as good as any side could ever hope to have. An ATG bowler, two good quicks and a very solid spinner. If there is a criticism of Australia's bowling to be had, it's that they sometimes appear to run out of ideas when plan A doesn't work.

stephen

Yeah I agree for the most part. Just think it needs freshening up with looking at other options i.e Neser, Abbott, Richardson (when fit)
Play your best guys in every test. Especially bowlers. I don't care if Neser, Abbott and Richardson don't play a test until Starc retires, so long as our best quicks are picked every time.

It's a bit different with batsmen because experience counts more than raw skill for batsmen, so blooding a guy early gives valuable lessons.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Play your best guys in every test. Especially bowlers. I don't care if Neser, Abbott and Richardson don't play a test until Starc retires, so long as our best quicks are picked every time.

It's a bit different with batsmen because experience counts more than raw skill for batsmen, so blooding a guy early gives valuable lessons.
Ok cool that's your take. My view is that I think all three of the above are better bowlers than Starc right now. Starc a few years ago, absolutely, but right now I don't think he merits a place in the XI - and is there solely because of his test record

But that's just a hunch in all honesty

stephen

Ok cool that's your take. My view is that I think all three of the above are better bowlers than Starc right now. Starc a few years ago, absolutely, but right now I don't think he merits a place in the XI - and is there solely because of his test record

But that's just a hunch in all honesty
That's not what I've seen in the last few matches. He's been bowling really well for the most part, second innings in Sydney aside.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
What really irritates me so much is the vast majority of these "bin Starc, pick x random domestix bowler" comments are coming for those who don't actually follow Australian domestic cricket. Abbott and especially Neser are high quality Shield operators, but honestly there is no way I would even consider playing them ahead of Starc (Or Patt0 if fit for that matter) This time two years ago people were calling for a Chris Tremain dayboo, now his FC career is dead or at the very least comatose

Jhye is in a diffetent boat entirely, while not there right now, I do very much think he will probably be better than Starc in the longterm if his body stops failing him

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What really irritates me so much is the vast majority of these "bin Starc, pick x random domestix bowler" comments are coming for those who don't actually follow Australian domestic cricket.
?

A bit bemused by this as the Sheffield Shield can be accessed and broadcasted to those outside Australia...

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
?

A bit bemused by this as the Sheffield Shield can be accessed and broadcasted to those outside Australia...
Well yes absolutely. The comment was not aimed at you specifically, I think you are a good, generally insightful, member.

What I absolutely despise is casuals confidently proclaiming "StArC sUcKs, BiN hIm FoReVeR", despite not even making any vauge attempt to consider nuance or context

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well yes absolutely. The comment was not aimed at you specifically, I think you are a good, generally insightful, member.

What I absolutely despise is casuals confidently proclaiming "StArC sUcKs, BiN hIm FoReVeR", despite not even making any vauge attempt to consider nuance or context
That's cool mate. This is a great forum, which prompts alot of interesting discussion around many topics related to this great game

Cricket is so full of intangibles, and the beauty of this discussion is that Neser/Abbott could quite frankly suck at test match level, and that's cool with me. I really rate them as bowlers but there's no definite way of telling if they can step up. I try to offer balanced insight, alongside the odd knee-jerky post which can happen to all of us from time-to-time

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That's cool mate. This is a great forum, which prompts alot of interesting discussion around many topics related to this great game

Cricket is so full of intangibles, and the beauty of this discussion is that Neser/Abbott could quite frankly suck at test match level, and that's cool with me. I really rate them as bowlers but there's no definite way of telling if they can step up. I try to offer balanced insight, alongside the odd knee-jerky post which can happen to all of us from time-to-time

Fair enough mate. It is an interesting thought hypothetically, I admit I am somewhat of the pace über alles mindset, especially in Australia, but each to their own there

Flem274*

123/5
starc now is better than ever

im fully on board with him spending most of his career being an underperforming jammy bastard who would average 32 with less luck, but that hasn't been the case for 2 years now.

he's certainly a better bowler than pattinson and abbott. i havent seen much neser

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think any of the 3 pacers should get dropped in Australia but overseas, they do seem to chop and change a bit. Maybe they should try one of the others against the non-big 3 visitors once?